Everyone should read this book!

Options
Has anyone else read Veganist by Kathy Freston? I'm almost through with it and I just can't believe how much I didn't know about what I was eating and what it was doing to me! I feel like everyone should know where their food is coming from and what it does to their body. I know, unless you want to be a vegan, why would you read that book? Lets just put it this way, it could save your life. I'm not being dramatic. There are so many testimonials in the book of the people that are still alive because of a plant based diet. Did you know that meat and dairy actually PROMOTE cancer to grow??!! Cancer can't grow unless we feed it. How about almost every disease you can think of? Yep, also developed from a lifetime of eating meat and dairy.

I'm not trying to be a vegan pusher, I just want everyone to be as happy and healthy as they can be. I believe this book will change your life if you give it a chance!

Replies

• steph5565
    Options
    Other great ones to read (both by Michael Pollan):
    The Omnivore's Dilemna (follows our food supply from the farm to our plates. Slightly disturbing (the basis for the movie "Food, Inc". Really fascinating)
    In Defense of Food (discusses how our food got to be so processed and why US dietary recomendations are the way they are).

You'll love them!
  • rodegghero
    rodegghero Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    My fav read is animal, vegetable, miracle
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    My paternal grandpa ate meat and dairy with every meal. He died 2 years ago at the age of 96. All of his 9 brothers and sisters lived into their 90's. My maternal great aunt is 97 and still kicking it. She also eats meat & dairy every day. Just saying. In the words of the great poet Ted Nugent, "Kill it and Grill it."
  • ciaobella47
    ciaobella47 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Other great ones to read (both by Michael Pollan):
    The Omnivore's Dilemna (follows our food supply from the farm to our plates. Slightly disturbing (the basis for the movie "Food, Inc". Really fascinating)
    In Defense of Food (discusses how our food got to be so processed and why US dietary recomendations are the way they are).

You'll love them!

I second those. Both fabulous books!
  • twistygirl
    twistygirl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Lynda McCarthy, Paul's wife was a strict vegetarian she even had cook books but she died of cancer and there are other vegetarians who have died of cancer or are battling cancer just like meat eaters, sorry but cancer doesn't seem to attack just meat eaters. If you do your research you will find that that claim is put out there by people/ organizations who support vegetarian life style. All the real researchers will tell you that more research is needed. I have family members who are older than dirt eat meat and facing 100 yrs old a lot of meat eaters live just as long and enjoy good health like vegetarians.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Has anyone else read Veganist by Kathy Freston? I'm almost through with it and I just can't believe how much I didn't know about what I was eating and what it was doing to me! I feel like everyone should know where their food is coming from and what it does to their body. I know, unless you want to be a vegan, why would you read that book? Lets just put it this way, it could save your life. I'm not being dramatic. There are so many testimonials in the book of the people that are still alive because of a plant based diet. Did you know that meat and dairy actually PROMOTE cancer to grow??!! Cancer can't grow unless we feed it. How about almost every disease you can think of? Yep, also developed from a lifetime of eating meat and dairy.

I'm not trying to be a vegan pusher, I just want everyone to be as happy and healthy as they can be. I believe this book will change your life if you give it a chance!

Actually cancer feeds off sugar.
    Cancer has only one prime cause. It is the replacement of normal oxygen respiration of the body's cells by an anaerobic [i.e., oxygen-deficient] cell respiration. -Dr. Otto Warburg

But what else does Warburg's discovery tell us. First off, it tells us that cancer metabolizes much differently than normal cells. Normal cells need oxygen. Cancer cells despise oxygen. In fact, oxygen therapy is a favorite among many of the alternative clinics we've researched.

Another thing this tells us is that cancer metabolizes through a process of fermentation.

If you've ever made wine, you'll know that fermentation requires sugar.

The metabolism of cancer is approximately 8 times greater than the metabolism of normal cells.

Okay, so here is what we can put together knowing the above: The body is constantly overworked trying to feed this cancer. The cancer is constantly on the verge starvation and thus constantly asking the body to feed it. When the food supply is cut off, the cancer begins to starve unless it can make the body produce sugar to feed itself.

The wasting syndrome, cachexia, is the body producing sugar from proteins (you heard it right, not from carbohydrates or fats, but from proteins) in a process called glycogenesis. This sugar feeds the cancer. The body finally dies of starvation, trying to feed the cancer.

Now, knowing that one's cancer needs sugar, does it make sense to feed it sugar? Does it make sense to have a high carbohydrate diet?

The reason Food Therapies for cancer even exist today (beyond the fact that they work) is because someone once saw the connection between sugar and cancer. There are many food therapies, but not a single one allows many foods high in carbohydrates and not a single one allows sugars, BECAUSE SUGAR FEEDS CANCER.

Why doesn't your physician tell you this? Hard to tell. Maybe your doctor feels it is his job to cure your cancer, not yours. Maybe because your doctor learned about Warburg, but never put the rest together, never placed nutrition into the equation. Maybe because your physician didn't study nutrition. Heck, as late as 1978, the AMA's official position (found in the Congressional Record) was that nutrition had nothing to do with disease.

However, those who've paid attention to this sugar craving cancer stuff have come up with some remarkable therapies for cancer. Laetrile is just one. Hydrazine Sulfate, which stops the process of glycogenesis in greater than 50% of all patients with cachexia is another.

A while back (2004), at the University of Minnesota, they were experimenting with a chemotherapy delivered in a "smartbomb." Here's the scoop: the drug is wrapped in a coating that stays intact as it travels through the body, that is until it reaches a location of no oxygen. When it reaches this "no oxygen" location, the coating falls apart releasing the chemotherapy to destroy the cancer, because the only place in your body where there is no oxygen is the cancer site.

The results of this study have been buried. Nothing exists on it. There are, however, lots of articles on cancer smart bombs, but the UofMN research just cannot be found. Searching for a few key words, we've found only our article (republished at quite a few sites) mentioning this study.

Then there are the food therapies: aimed at starving cancer. Knowing what cancer loves, the cancer patient avoids them. Cancers likes cooked foods over raw (cooking destroys enzymes and heat sensitive vitamins), so check out our article on the cancer diet. And, do not forget, cancer loves sugar. If you dislike your cancer, then don't feed it.
  • Jenna423
    Jenna423 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Whoa everyone, chill out. I'm no expert on the subject. I in no way meant to imply that if you eat meat you will die tomorrow. I simply wanted everyone else to learn about what they put in their mouth. Thats great if your grandparents, aunts, great uncles, cousins, whatevers are in their 90s! Thats awesome! But thats not why I posted about the book. I found my way of thinking changed dramatically and for the better after reading that book so I wanted to share. Thats all.
  • sarglava
    sarglava Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I appreciate your book (and lifestyle) pushing. I also agree that the USDA industry is b***s*** and needs an amazing overhaul. But I'm going to poke at one of the things you mentioned in your post.

Cancer is random. You can have a genetic predisposition (ie mom and/or dad and/or grandparents had/died of cancer) and not get cancer. Or your family history can be free and clear and still get it. I think the thing to realize here is that some things can increase the CHANCE of a cell to become cancerous (which basically means the cell can't stop itself from replicating through mitosis). Things like radiation (from the sun or the dreaded microwave), pollutants (from tobacco smoke, car exhaust, and others), and other carcinogens (often coming from meats) can all "trigger" (possibly) or "accelerate" cancerous cells. However, cancer is still RANDOM. You can expose cells to all of these things and it can still control replication.

So that's my soapbox. Again, I'm not yelling at you or anything. If you have the willpower to be vegan go for it. It's cheaper, healthier, and better for the planet. I just can't do it, and I know a lot of other people can't either. Well, not can't but won't. I won't because I have no willpower. I do, though, try to buy organic and try to eat less meat (for expense and health reasons.)
  • Jenna423
    Options
    I suppose I didn't word my post correctly. I did not mean that meat and dairy CAUSE cancer... But that they "create an acidic environment in the body, alters the mix of hormones to favor cell growth, modifies important enzyme activities to increase activation of carcinogens, and causes inflammation and cell proliferation--all of which creates an ideal environment for cancer to thrive."
    A quote directly from the book. I know I didn't find the cure for cancer people. Wow, I need to be more careful in the way I word things. Sorry!
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I would check her credentials. I searched for her, and she doesn't say ANYTHING about having any degrees in nutrition, or any legit knowledge of stuff.

I read the book "skinny bit**" awhile ago, and really? The people who wrote it were not licensed..didn't have credentials. And...their sources in the book were things like, "milksucks.com." Not the best sources.

I haven't read the book, or seen her sources, but I would be cautious believing everything in there.
  • Jenna423
    Options
    I would check her credentials. I searched for her, and she doesn't say ANYTHING about having any degrees in nutrition, or any legit knowledge of stuff.

She actually uses Dean Ornish, MD, T. Colin Campbell, PhD, Caldwell Esselstyn, MD, Neal Bernard, MD, and Ruth Heidrich, PhD throughout the entire book. She doesn't claim to be an expert in any area, instead she went to the source. Google those names, they've done their homework.
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options

She actually uses Dean Ornish, MD, T. Colin Campbell, PhD, Caldwell Esselstyn, MD, Neal Bernard, MD, and Ruth Heidrich, PhD throughout the entire book. She doesn't claim to be an expert in any area, instead she went to the source. Google those names, they've done their homework.

Ok..thanks for updating. I actually just emailed her to see what sources she uses, I'll check them out.
    Thanks!
  • beckym71
    beckym71 Posts: 3,511
    Options
    Thanks for the book review! :flowerforyou:
    I am always interested in expanding my knowledge base, whether or not I discover I agree or disagree with the information presented.

I had a veryclose call with colon cancer (I'm 39)...my growth was removed in January, by summer I would've been diagnosed with cancer. Interestingly enough ~in direct contradiction to everything Dr. Oz, and pretty much everything I've ever heard about colon cancer being caused directly by diet~ when I asked how I prevent a recurrence or worse, my doctor flat out said *you can't, just keep getting screened.* My cells were typed and clearly a genetic defect.

However, I still find it empowering to read and educate myself and make the best decisions for myself and my health.

So, thank you again for sharing your thoughts! :smile:
  • Jenna423
    Options
    Thanks for the book review! :flowerforyou:
    I am always interested in expanding my knowledge base, whether or not I discover I agree or disagree with the information presented.

I had a veryclose call with colon cancer (I'm 39)...my growth was removed in January, by summer I would've been diagnosed with cancer. Interestingly enough ~in direct contradiction to everything Dr. Oz, and pretty much everything I've ever heard about colon cancer being caused directly by diet~ when I asked how I prevent a recurrence or worse, my doctor flat out said *you can't, just keep getting screened.* My cells were typed and clearly a genetic defect.

However, I still find it empowering to read and educate myself and make the best decisions for myself and my health.

So, thank you again for sharing your thoughts! :smile:

Your welcome and thank you for not attacking me. :smile: I regret posting about this book entirely, but I hope you'll read it anyway. I liked that you said you found it empowering to read and educate yourself to make the best decisions because thats exactly what I was trying to get at. I didn't expect everyone to like the book, but how can you have too much knowledge in where your food is coming from?!
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion girl!
  • princesschikee
    Options
    We all have to pick our battles when it comes to eating. Fretting over what you put in your body makes for a miserable life. Everybody has an opinion on what they think is healthy or unhealthy.
    There is so much controversy when it comes to what's right or wrong to eat. It's great to be able to have access to so much info, but you can't just rely on one example.
    I don't eat pork (for personal reasons), but I eat all other meat and eggs for my source of protein to build muscle.
    The post would have been better titled for those who are considering being vegetarians.
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    My paternal grandpa ate meat and dairy with every meal. He died 2 years ago at the age of 96. All of his 9 brothers and sisters lived into their 90's. My maternal great aunt is 97 and still kicking it. She also eats meat & dairy every day. Just saying. In the words of the great poet Ted Nugent, "Kill it and Grill it."

Yes but some people will just never develop cancer cells or precancer cells that they have shown this builds from. Glad your grandfather lived so long. My grandmother is is pushing 90 and still kicking and eats meat, dairy and while she did get skin cancer she has had no relapses. What she does do is walk, walk walk. EVERYDAY!

Those that do are going to have a lot less growth if they aren't feeding it. That part does seem logical to me. If there is something cancer consumes and we all know it overtakes everything slowly then we'd want to not give it extra flames. Not saying don't eat meat either but consider the overall issue with open mind. I eat meat though I could easily convert back to vegetarian(or vegan) because I simply don't like the taste of meat and dairy is touch and go. I have cheese 2-3 times a week like they would have 200 years ago because that was all they could afford or all they could "get".

I don't think any author really means to scare us all into be vegans or we'll die. Its not the case. Go into any restaurant and we will see that we as a society eat too much meat and dairy. How many people go in and eat a 14 oz steak quite a good bit? Well not me because I don't eat steak but out of the people that walk into a steak house on any given day how many do you think eat that entire 14 oz steak? I'm guess its pretty high. The recommended serving size by the USDA themselves is 6 to 6.5 oz total of meat or beans in the DAY. Most eat more than that in a serving. Women it says 5 to 5.5 oz a day of meat or beans. These number really I believe are what these books, articles, movies are trying to open our minds to.
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    It sounds a lot like the China Study and a lot of others. There are some scary facts in them. And some may not be well founded but if it makes you think about what you are eating even if you chose to continue to eat animal protein you will know how to alter your diet to get the best prevention possible. If you have higher family history of cancer it may be of more consideration.

But how would and omni or mostly meat and dairy eater know what it could be like if they didn't open their minds to trying it or at least hearing it out. How we eat now is so different than 100-200 years ago even. Even the foods themselves are so different. And I'm talking real plant foods there, they have changed so much.
  • melleyd
    melleyd Posts: 432 Member
    Options

Read The China Study....very interesting about how protein promotes cancer growth! I'm not through with the book but what I've read so far is very disturbing!!
  • Jenna423
    Options
    Okay. I can't delete this post unfortunately. I know I opened myself up to all this but I never expected to be attacked. I never meant to offend anyone. I chose through my own research (more than just this one book by the way!) to try out a plant based diet. I loved dairy as much as the next person, but I have my reasons for trying a different way of living. Per my research, I have no desire to eat meat or dairy. I'm not obsessing over it or living on lettuce. Also, I didn't post this to tell people they would get cancer if they ate meat and dairy. I didn't elaborate as much as I should, I apologize.

That being said, please stop attacking me for trying to spread the word of a different way of eating. I had no idea people would be so defensive about something that I was merely trying to just discuss with other people that may have read the book. I know, I got caught up in the post and didn't elaborate, cite sources, or word things the way I should have. I KNOW. Now please move on to another post.