HRM - how does a chest strap work for us ladies?

Options
Hi everyone,
I'm thinking about getting a HRM but was planning to buy onethat is just the watch, no chest strap. I saw the other recent thread about HRMs and there were a few comments that this isn't very good.

I just can't see how a chest strap is going to work, on me as my chest is... well, you know, not flat! There's lots of jiggly bits all round, so it's hard to see where a chest strap will sit and still be effective.
So, 2 questions:
- Ladies, do you use an HRM with a chest strap and where does it sit?
- Is there any point spending money on a watch style HRM or will I just be wasting my $$?

(My experience has shown me that a lot of "sporty/adventure" gear is designed by guys for guys. Or for tall athletic girls, not dumpy women like me. Standard wetsuits, skydiving harnesses, gocart seats and other stuff just don't work on people my shape! Doesn't stop me giving it a go, but I've had all kinds of bruises and bouyancy issues as a result.)

Replies

• javamom
    javamom Posts: 309
    Options
    The chest strap fits just under your bra line. They are super comfortable and well worth the investment to get a more accurate calorie burn. I got the women's Polar FT4 and LOVE it! It's about 70 on amazon.
  • Trishkit
    Trishkit Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    My chest strap sits just below my bra, at the top of my stomach. It fits pretty comfortably there, when I was 210 and now at 179. I love my HRM and don't think I could do this without it!
  • bexdc
    bexdc Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I use a chest strap -- it works fine, but I am only a 34-36 A, so that's probably a factor. The strap sits just below my boobs and it doesn't move around. I'm not sure if I would trust a HRM that's ONLY a watch. How does it gauge your heart rate? My chest strap works in tandem with my Garmin GPS/sports watch.
  • kateopotato
    kateopotato Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    the chest strap is strapped basically at your bra strap... it works just fine for me and my chest is not anywhere near flat either!

I love my HRM. I have the polarFT4... not the most high tech, but it does the trick for me!
  • emott84
    emott84 Posts: 108
    Options
    You don't put the chest strap over top of the 'ladies' - you fasten it sort of underneath them. Right where the band of your bra sits. In fact, I tend to place my chest strap right underneath my sports bra band, just so it's extra secure and less likely to move about.

If you are looking to get a HRM to track calories burned, it's best to get one that continuously monitors your heart rate as it will give you a more accurate reading. Otherwise, you'd be spending the entire time with your fingers stuck to your watch. It's really up to you and what you want from your HRM!
  • alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing a project on HRM for school (I am a biomedical engineering major). We are looking into their accuracy. We have found that a chest strap is more accurate than just a wrist watch one. I suggest getting one with a chest strap.

They are pretty comfortable and fit right below the bra. I was also reading somewhere that Polar has a sports bra with electrodes built into it, so you never have to wear the chest strap. But if you're planning on loosing a lot of weight, it seems like this wouldn't be a good idea because you would have to buy multiple bras.

I'd say spending your money on one is a good investment, It will keep much more accurate count of your calories burned than the website does.
  • themyriadthings
    themyriadthings Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Yup, the strap goes underneath the boobage, and is quite comfy there. It's extra support really! I just tuck it under my sportsbra band too. Sometimes I even forget to take it off, it is so comfortable!
  • MissAllison
    Options
    I recommend getting a HRM with a chest strap. I have a polar FT60 and love it. The chest strap is not uncomfortable (I often forget I have it on). When I first purchased the HRM, I was unsure if it would be worth the expense - but now I can't imagine working out without it!
  • LOVEthighSELF
    LOVEthighSELF Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I have a polarf4 and a D cup-- goes under the breasts and my sportsbra helps keep it in place although I have never really had a problem with it slipping. WOrks great--- if you are gonna invest in one it may as well be accurate-- get the chest strap!
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I use the chest strap. I put it under my bra strap. as in my bra strap is on top of it, like stacked.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I love you guys, you've just saved me forty bucks! I think I'm convinced not to just buy the first one I saw (watch style) but to do some homework and get one that will work well. I'm reassured now I know it goes under the braline, though honestly that doesn't seem too close to my heart. Hmmm, better do some more research, all your comments are really helpful.
    Thanks!
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I'm in agreement with the previous posts. I was worried about the chest strap as well, but I'm glad I did it. I have a 36B/C chest that's...erm...a bit deflated since my weight loss, but I just strap the chest strap on directly below my breasts and then put my sports bra on over it. I absolutely can't even feel that it's on at all.

The only caution I give is to make sure you're wearing it with an actual sports bra. Poor planning had all of mine needing a wash one night and I used an older bra that I had used to use before I got any sports bras. It had full underwire on it and the underwire did not set well on top of the chest strap monitor part and didn't feel too good. It didn't leave any visible marks, but the area felt a like it was a bit tender/bruised for a couple days after.
  • hcook1313
    hcook1313 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I know that this post is from last year but I wanted to add some "current" info. I wanted a watch style HRM but also wanted accuracy, watch features, one that I didn't have to stop what I was doing to get a read (benefit of the chest strap) and economical. After doing tons of research I went with the Sportline 630. It comes with the chest strap (which is very comfortable) so that I get truly accurate readings. There were some that were over $100 but this one was $54 (including tax) and is great!
  • staceyGO
    staceyGO Posts: 376
    Options
    Chest strap is the way to go, it stays put under your bra strap! Any HRM without a chest strap is going to be far far far less accurate, which defeats teh purpose of purchasing one in the first place.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I was shocked at how comfortable the chest strap is. You put it on, as high up "under" your boobs as possible. Then put your sports bra over top of it. You cannot feel it. At all.