Are you 40 & fit?

Options
If you are over 40 and have succeeded in achieving fab abs (particularly after having kids) please could I see your before and after pics? How did you do it? I need role models because at the moment I'm seriously doubting it can be done - please show me it's possible!

Replies

• Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I'm not, yet... but I want to be!!!! I have hope that someday I'll be a hot mama, and I'll be 40 next year! Please tell me there's hope!
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    More fit than I was a year ago. Make sure you're doing some strength training every week. My body's not perfect and may never be but I can tell you I look better than I have in years.
  • Hi
    I am 42 and have worked very hard to get fit. I have good abdominal definition (but sadly many post natal stretch marks) so photos aren't popular. However. it can be done..I have lost weight gradually since eldest child was born and have maintained my weight for some years now with a combination of exercise and diet. The exercises you want are plank (the parallel stretch), some yoga and many pilates exercises along with crunches and the Wii fit hula hoops!! Unfortunately I have found post natal sagging of the skin impossible to remove and have to accept that post natally skin tone changes. Bio oil is good for reducing the visual effects but not the loose skin. Fundamentally you can have good abdominal muscles hidden under fat..it's the loss of fat which shows up the definition. (good abs help posture and balance). Also, people's shapes can affect this. Apple shaped bodies lay more fat around the middle whereas pear shaped (like me) lay it on hips, and hourglass hips and chest.
    Hope that helps...
  • Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    it's totally possible!! our stats are kind of similar. I think I started around 142-145 but never weighed myself before I started (generally a size 8 or 10). Similarly, I started feeling mom-like on my 40th bday and didn't like it one bit. 8 or 9 months later I was a size 4. I had never counted calories before and the math seemed to click for me. You eat at one number, you gain weight. You eat at another, you lose. Simple, right? I wish I learned that a long time ago! I also learned quickly to make exercise part of my routine (because I like to eat and need to add those calories in--1200 was not enough for me) and realize this is what I'll need to do going forward to keep myself healthy and at the right weight. I have been maintaining for close to a year---that's not at all easy either but I stick to the program and have been doing ok so far.

I'm sure you can do it with MFP--they really give you all the tools you could possibly need to be successful. Good luck! I'll send you a friend request for support.

About the abs--I just finished the 30 day shred and the abs are really strong after that. I plan to continue doing this--lots of planks and sit ups.
  • ceebs9
    ceebs9 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I'm 45 and while my abs aren't where I'd like them to be (are they ever, really?) I'm so much happier than I was in my before picture. I have 2 kids, teenagers, and the first was C-section. I was convinced my stomach would never ever be ok, but I'm happy to say I'm comfortable in a bikini these days. It took me about 3 months to lose my weight, but 3 years to actually get fit. It's totally doable if you're willing to put in the work. Now go get 'em!
  • polo571
    polo571 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I turn 40 the end of May and im getting there. Right now im still holding on to the backside of 30 =)
  • ChristineMiller2
    Options
    I consider myself fit and my abs are much better than they well last year. It really boils down to calories, cut the calories and the belly fat will go and you'll be able to see ab definition. I became a Zumba instructor and that made a huge difference in the appearance of my body...I am forever grateful and now Zumba is an addiction lol Try to find an exercise you REALLY love and that'll help with calories and create more of a calorie defecit to lose more weight. Unfortunately we cannot target where the weight comes off from and it seems the abs and belly area are the hardest. I'm pretty happy though and hope to sport a 6 pack before its over!
  • fatlass70
    fatlass70 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Not yet but I'm planning to be! I turned 40 last September having failed in my mission to "not be fat at 40!" on day 1 of my 40th year. Having thought about it over Christmas I realised I have a whole year of being 40 so I can still achieve my goal. I joined MFP on Jan 3rd (first Monday of the new year and new year's hangover finally gone!!).

First two months have been down and up but more down than up. Achieved a mini milestone today (I have a little further to go than you do!) by dropping a BMI banding and am determined to keep going. The area I have noticed is improving is my waistline and I put this down to Pilates which I also started back in Jan.

Happy to add you as a friend if you think it will help - just drop me a request.
    Good luck!
  • DaddyMantz
    DaddyMantz Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Turning 43 in a few days! I have NEVER felt healthier.
  • Nigel99
    Nigel99 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Not quite there yet, but I'm getting a bit more fit each day. At least I'm not likely to collapse in a heap panting if I went out and hiked or played basketball today.
  • CharlieJuliette
    CharlieJuliette Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the comments and really useful advice. I feel genuinely inspired! Clearly it can be done! You lot put those 20-somethings to shame.
    I'm planning to start the 30 day shred tomorrow which sounds like the right course of action. Hopefully I'll see some good results.