TOPIC: Fun & Fit Sized - March 11

Options
Hello everyone,

This forum is for all of us who are a little shorter in stature. We have noticed that while we share the same trials and tribulations as everyone else, being short adds a few new obstacles our way.

How did you do in February?

What are you planning to do for March?

Welcome,

JAM

Replies

• mavila1978
    Options
    Hi, I'm new to MFP but I am 5'2" and would love to join this group. In March, I am hoping to make a triumphant return to the gym after several months of absence, and cut the junk out of my diet entirely, which will help with both the waistline and the wallet.
  • ChshireKat
    Options
    Hello,
    Diet and weight wise February was a lost cause. I haven't changed my ticker, and I am not sure if I have lost, gained, or stayed the same weight beacuse my clothes don't feel any different but my scale at home says my weight is fluctuation by about 8 lbs over the cource of the day, so I think it may be broken.

I have maintained my new year goal though, I have gone fishing every saturday, although it was so cold on saturday the line was freezing to the last eye, and I could only stay outside for about an hour before it got too cold. But .. hey... I am outside in what passes for sunshine up here, which is an improvment over last year.

Next week end will be busy, there is a first b-day saturday night, and a baby shower sunday afternoon... But I will go fishing saturday morning, and hopefully squeeze laundry, grocery and house cleaning in what time that is left over; I may have to compramise my schedule and do the laundry on friday.

Hope everyone is doing well
  • daybyday
    daybyday Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    February sucked for weight loss for me!! For March I am planning on very little to no sweets - this is my problem and why I have gained back 2 pounds. Also trying to drink more water!! Here's to better days :)
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Welcome Annita and Mavila!

Welcome back DaybyDay, I totally agree with your description of February. lol :drinker: Here's to a better March!

Annita- I just can't imagine being outside fishing in the winter. Kudos to you.

Mavila - I hope you make it back to the gym.

February was a very hard month for me. Luckily, my weight is OK.

For March I want to get back to the basics that got me as far as I have gotten since joining MFP. Which means 30 minutes of exercising 5-6 days a week and planning my meals.

JAM
  • jam0525
    Options
    It's that time of year again.........................Girl Scout cookies.

How are you going to handle it this year?

Me? I will just eat them, exercise more and get back on track when they run out. I have limited myself on how many boxes I will buy this year, but that is more for financial reasons. They are $3.50 a box now. Those little girls outside grocery stores are just so cute and the cookies are just so good.

I actually did some running yesterday to try and make up for the Trefoils and hot choco I had for snack. lol

JAM
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,920 Member
    Options
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

:bigsmile: Looking back at February’s goals I had a mixture of great success, moderate success and absolute zero.

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: We finished packing everything we could and put it in storage and got the house clean and tidy and absolutely ready to be shown…….now it is in the hands of a Higher Power to find a buyer.

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: I did great exercise indoors and counted over 10,000 steps every day in the month even when I hardly got outside.

:bigsmile: I did some work in the yard when the ground wasn’t frozen.

:sad: :sad: But, alas, I did absolutely no yoga.

:flowerforyou: My goals for March:

:bigsmile: Yoga (if at first you don’t succeed, try, try again)

:bigsmile: Squats (I’m not going to set a number until I have some idea of what I can do for starters)

:bigsmile: Dancing (either practicing my line dances or dancing while watching TV or movies)

:bigsmile: Today the Realtors Tour came to look at our house at 8:30 so I went for a walk and then to line dance while hubby took the dogs with him to run errands..........at 11:15 someone showed the house to a potential buyer so Hubby and I went to Subway for a veggie delight......at 5:30 someone else is coming to see the house so we had our Isagenix shakes and will put the cats out, hide the litter box, load up the dogs, and go for a ride.......I guess the Higher Power is working hard to find us a buyer :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Now that I'm not teaching in elementary school I can successfully dodge the whole question of Girl Scout cookies......if anyone comes from the neighborhood selling them, I'll buy some and give them away.
  • tatiana_13
    tatiana_13 Posts: 325
    Options
    How was February? Well, it depends on how you look at it. Every winter, I try to lose weight. And every winter, I fail. But! When I don't try to lose weight...I gain weight. So...did I gain any weight in February? No! So...I think February was just fine....

But, now we are approaching Spring. And I am determined to lose something. Anything! Even if its just my fatigue! :tongue:

My goals for March...I would love to go outside. I still have two months left on my winter gym membership...but if the weather cooperates, I would not be unhappy to waste my money and start walking or run/walking outside.

Although I am quite happy to continue "assembling" meals, I would like to challenge myself to actually "cook" one meal a week.
  • mavila1978
    Options
    I went to the gym one time in this week but my daughter is in the terrible twos and even though she's slowly getting better, I really hate taking her anywhere in public because it's always uncertain if she will flip out or not. We also went to the park one day this week and yesterday I just ended up running errands and washing my car. So all in all I have done well in March. At least it's better than being a couch potato all the time. I'm dropping weight like crazy because it is the beginning week of my diet and so all that water weight is going away. It's a great motivator to keep going even when the loss slows down.
  • daybyday
    Options
    I have done Pilates twice this week and I'm finding that I love them!! They are not a great calorie burn, but boy do my muscles feel the burn!!
  • ChshireKat
    ChshireKat Posts: 117
    Options
    Hi all.
    So I made it to the gym once this week, but at least I was eating the right amounts. So I went to the gym on monday, fairly light workout becasue I was feeling icky, and today I walked to work... well ... I took the train for 13 miles then walked the last mile to my office. I get to do this in reverse this afternoon. I will also be walking when I go shopping for my nephews b-day gift and any other errands I can run this afternoon/evening; I just can't go shooting. But I am walking. Does walking hurt anyone else's shins and shoulder? I always seem to hurt on both shins & my right shoulder whenever I walk more then a few blocks.
  • tatiana_13
    Options
    @Mavila--celebrate those early losses! You're right, it won't always be this consistent or fast. But both the fast and slow times have something to teach us.

@Annita--you're doing a great job staying active (physical activity is a hard one for all of us!). Aching shins are probably caused by shin splints...common when starting a new walking program, especially when done outside (more stressful). Its basically inflammation somewhere in there, so ice and anti-inflammatory meds like advil help (I'm using vague language cause I'm not a health professional of even the most basic sort...I don't even play one on TV). Make sure you're wearing good walking shoes, and, stretch your shins on the train before you do your walks, to see if that helps. The shoulder pain, I can't explain. Unless you are carrying a purse on your shoulder with your lunch or laptop and books and....if that's the case, you'll probably have to trade in style for comfort and get a backpack...a good one that you not only can put over both your shoulders, but that you can also strap around your waist to displace that weight at 3 different stress points. Otherwise, I'd go see a doctor about the shoulder. The fact that its only one shoulder, makes me think that there is some underlying problem that is simply being aggravated by the arm movements of your walking...if it was a problem with your gait or form, you would have a problem with both shoulders. Maybe you have bursitis or something? ...All of which is to say, I have no idea...I'm just guessing. But I hope you figure it out!

We're almost a week into March, and I hope we're all doing well! I'm not sure if Spring is here yet, but Winter definitely feels like it is gone. And I, for one, am really glad to see it go! I'm still wearing my winter coat, to be sure, but the day's are longer, I'm no longer hibernating, and I am drawn to the outdoors.

I hope everyone has a fantastic weekend!
  • jam0525
    Options
    Hi all, Just popping in to say hello. I am so glad this week is over at work. I will catch up on posts this weekend. Hopefully, I will be able to stay on top of the posts next week.

JAM
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,920 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: with the snow gone, I'm back to line dancing in the mornings and the dog park in the afternoon with some time on the exercise bike in between.
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • jam0525
    Options
    Hi Ladies,

I was finally on track today and hope to continue this trend tomorrow.

Annita - I agree with the advice others have already given. When I first started to exercise again, I had a lot of aches and pains starting out. As far as the shoulder pain, I'd ask if you are carrying a purse on that arm? It could be that you are out of alignment when you are walking or scrunching your shoulder up.

DD's team lost their soccer game today and DS's team won. Both kids played fantastic.

Have a great evening all,

JAM
  • babygurl1
    babygurl1 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Feb. was slow going for me...but as of Saturday I am finally down 1 more pound! whoo hoo!! 7 more to go until my goal. The race is next month so I have to really kick up my training. I have been sick the last couple of weeks and my training has been little to none so it's time to get things going again. I hope everyone has a great day!!
  • ChshireKat
    ChshireKat Posts: 117
    Options
    Hi all,

Thanks for the help with the pain, but for some clarification; I always walk with my purse on my left arm or across my chest & it is about the size and weight of 2 typical paper back books, I have always had this pain, even when I was at a "normal" weight as a teenager. It also happens on a treadmil, any walking, at any speed other then very old lady with a cane, hurts my shins and shoulder. Tatiana. I have never actuallu found walking shoes that fit, womens shoes aren't wide enough, and very few companies make a mens 7.5 in a wide; but thanks any how.

So... enough about aches and pains. Went fishing on Saturday, didn't catch anything, but neither did anyone else at the pond. Then went shopping for the nephews b-day. His mom said he wanted toilet paper, but needed a toybox, so another sibling and I split the cost of a toybox. So sunday woke up super early ... for me ... after going to bed at about 1 am, and started the food for the baby shower (deviled aggs and pineapple glaze fruit salad). Put them both in the fridge to cool and did my laundry. Came home, assembled it all, packed the gift and spend the remainder of the day at my Dads house. Not a real eventful weekend, but I got everything done ... and managed to get half of my kitchen scrubbed down:bigsmile: . It probably tee'd my roomate when she came home this morning to find the microwave and the stove taken apart.:happy: :tongue: :bigsmile:
  • jam0525
    Options
    Annita- Have you tried New Balance shoes? They are wider to begin with and you can order wide from them. We all have them and usually we find them on sale at either Big Five or Sports Authority.

I almost ran today. lol We had a terrible sand storm and ended up having to go home instead of to the track.

Babygurl- I hope to be able to run a mile this year and maybe do a 5K with my kids. I had the same goal last year but DD had hip surgery last March and hasn't been able to run in a few years. She is running now and so is my son, so maybe this year I will get going to.

Barbie - good luck with getting your house sold. Maybe it will get more showings now that spring is around the corner.

JAM
  • tatiana_13
    Options
    @Annita...Well...so much for strangers on an online forum solving your health problems! :wink: Last thoughts...if you've always had the pains, maybe a doc's referral to a physical therapist/sports medicine person would be helpful. It may be a gait/form problem. I had a friend whose shin's always ached. Turns out, she had an uncharacteristic way of walking that caused her shin muscles to overdevelop...which would pull at a weird way that would hurt. There wasn't "anything wrong" per se, but the PT have her exercises to strengthen her calves, as well as some instruction about how to modify her walk to avoid a repeat of the problem. Its worth a thought if its really bothering you....my friend had just always lived with it...until she got to be about 35 and decided to see if she really had to...sometimes we have idiosyncratic things we just have to learn to live with, and sometimes they can be fixed....

@babygurl...losing those last few pounds are ridiculous, aren't they? Its good you have a race you're training for to keep your mind busy. I'm trying to lose my last 10 pounds, and its true, they seem to dribble off...in ounces. But congratulations on keeping the scale moving in the right direction. And good on you for keeping the momentum going as far as training for your race. Winter is a hard season in which to keep the momentum going, and you managed to do just that!

@Jam A sandstorm? Well, at least that's a valid reason. I didn't go for a walk today because it was a little to windy for my taste. When you do start running, let me know. I am a terrible, slow, runner. But who always starts running. I like it. But only because its a challenge. Which is to say...I don't like it. So it would be nice to have a virtual running buddy. And your goal of wanting to run one mile sounds like my kind of goal. I don't think I've run a mile without stopping since I was in high school. And even then, I thought I was going to die.

@Barbie Your level of energy is inspiring. Bottle it and send me some!
  • babygurl1
    babygurl1 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Tatiana, yes they are slow going! I have been training for my half marathon for several months now and I love to run. Sometimes I feel like ok I'm done but you just have to keep on pushing. My training partner and I have been training outside in rain, snow or just plain cold..lol..I think thats what got me sick to begin with, but you never know what race day will bring so you better be ready no matter what. Goodluck with your last 10 pounds I know it's tough at the end.

Jam I bet you could do a mile now. Maybe a slow jog but hey that's still good!! I had to build myself up slowly but you could do it!
  • daybyday
    Options
    I've been doing Pilates lately. I have found muscles I never knew I had - Ouch!! There's a scissors move with your legs - holy cow are they sore in the groin area!! I love doing Pilates though & find them very relaxing =)