What is the scoop on Caffeine?

Options
I'm a coffee drinker (okay, okay, addict). I've been good about weaning myself off of the caffeine so that now I don't get the headaches in the afternoon if I miss the morning cup...

but what about weight loss? I've heard conflicting things - coffee to lose the appetite (much like how smoking works)...but caffeine works against the exercise...??? what is going on with the coffee/caffeine myths?

Replies

• carrotstick
    Options
    I'm a coffee drinker (okay, okay, addict). I've been good about weaning myself off of the caffeine so that now I don't get the headaches in the afternoon if I miss the morning cup...

but what about weight loss? I've heard conflicting things - coffee to lose the appetite (much like how smoking works)...but caffeine works against the exercise...??? what is going on with the coffee/caffeine myths?
  • chelsey787
    chelsey787 Posts: 261
    Options
    well, i am a avid coffee drinker!!! i need my cup in the morning and then i am good to go for the rest of the day...

i have actually heard that drinking a bit of caffeine after your workouts helps to break up the lactic acid buildup in your muscles, which helps you not to feel sore. i could be wrong, so don't quote me on that!

(anything to defend my coffee i guess!!! haha)
  • rogers8702
    rogers8702 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    i wont give up my coffee ever ever ever!!!!!! naw seriously ive heard its bad for nutrion in general not really on dieting. but my doctor says that like all addicts you cant go cold turkey just slow down. some days i drink 1 cup some days i drink 10 cups.

:noway: i wont give it up:noway:
  • sopper6175
    sopper6175 Posts: 23
    Options
    My story...I was never a morning (or afternoon) (or anytime) coffee drinker, but throughout high school and college I loved my Mountain Dew and Diet Coke. Would drink that stuff almost constantly...

Until I heard a couple of things: (1) from a sports psychology course - elite athletes opt for a "no-CAT" diet -- no caffeine, alcohol, or tobacco; (2) from my mother - caffeine was shown as a potential factor in the formation of fibroid tumors (already have a genetic inclination toward these); and (3) from a pregnant friend - caffeine should be avoided during pregnancy. I could see myself as 2/3 of an elite athlete, with less fibroid tumor worries...and it seems like things to be avoided during pregnancy might be something to watch anyway if you are a woman.

I like challenges, so I decided to quit drinking caffeine altogether. Cold turkey. That was over 7 years ago -- I haven't looked back since. No idea if there were any concrete health benefits gained, but I will say that I'll never depend on caffeine in the morning!
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Seems like lots of conflicting info out there, so do what works for you in moderation! Here is what I have recently read...

Caffeine: the alleged...
    PROS
    - increases metabolism
    - available in large doses in many "fat burning" and "termogenic" diet supplements
    - positively affects brain function, motor function, and nervous system function for a short time after consumption

CONS
    - is considered a "hunger driver" as it increases insulin prodcution (like consuming sugar) so some people's bodies interpret these hormals signals as hunger
    - can be addictive, causing side effects during withdrawl from usage
    - some consider the positive effects on brain function, motor function, and nervous system to be out weighed by a "crash" that occurs when the caffeine leaves the system
    - some consider it bad for the electric mechanism of the heart (affects heart rate negatively)
  • tashjs21
    tashjs21 Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    I used to drink loads of coffee :drinker: I don't have any professional or factual advice to give, just my experience with the decision to stop the addiction.
    I should have owned stock in Starbucks. (I cringe when I think about how much money was spent on Starbucks over the years). When I started this journey to a healthier lifestyle I gave up coffee. (mainly because of the amount of sugar I need in my coffee). For me, it wasn't that hard to give up once my mind was made up. I have also found that I sleep better, have more energy throughout the day and my teeth stayed whiter after my cleaning a few months ago! :bigsmile:
    Don't get me wrong, when I have had a particularly bad night (getting less than 7 hours of sleep). I might have a cup of coffee in the morning or a coke in the afternoon. It does give me that jolt but I am also more aware of the crash. It really does not stay with you that long, hence the need for so much throughout the day.
    I believe that just like anything else, it isn't bad for you in moderation.
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    I've read and heard good and bad. My doc said that a cup or two a day won't hurt me but try to keep it to one a day if possible. I used to drink about 15 cups a day :sick: