Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Are water bottles safe?

If you are drinking a lot of water, you may want to watch the movie " tapped"

It has some eye opening information about bottled water.

Just thought I'd share this with everyone.

Replies

• jrueckert
    jrueckert Posts: 355 Member
    Oh my. Is anything safe anymore? Really.
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 480 Member
    I've heard that Bottle Water isn't all rainbows and kittens. Personally it's a cost issue for me. I'm not paying 2 bucks for a bottle of water. I bought a tumbler cup and refill that numerous times a day from water fountains and sinks.
  • jane77
    jane77 Posts: 489
    save the world refill save lots of money
  • I'm in agreement about the cost of bottle water! I believe there's a Brita commercial out that says all the bottles consumed last year can wrap around the world X amt of times. Crazy! I also use a refillable bottle.
  • schaapj2
    schaapj2 Posts: 320 Member
    Well in bottled water you have to worry about bacteria, depleting natural aquifers and springs, and of course the fact that you are wasting gobs of refined petroleum to make plastic (which of course likely has chemicas of its own which make it unsafe).

Tap water of course has chlorine in it which has been linked to new health problems I've heard...though they are new studies so we'll see, not to mention many people aren't a big fan of the chlorine taste!

To SOLVE the problem:

1. Best to buy a reusable water bottle....metal are the best, as they contain none of the harmful chemicals that can be found in some plastic water bottles (though the new Nalgene bottles are free of this chemical now) and metal bottles are easy to wash in the dishwasher.

2. If you are drinking tap water, you have a couple options. If you don't mind it straight from the tap, drink up! If you prefer tap water without the chlorine taste, leave a big stock pot of it out for a day.....the chlorine dissipates rapidly after 24 hours. Of you can always purchase a Brita Water Filter.....though expensive, these are nice, because then you always have nice fresh, filtered, cold water to drink that FEELS like you are drinking it straight from a bottle.

What bottled water equates to is a lazy solution to an easy problem. Bottled water is for people that don't have access to clean, bacteria free water. in the US, those places are quite rare.....it is in YOUR and the WORLD'S best interest to find a fancy bottle that expresses you or a nice filter and make your body happy by drinking a nice glass of tap water! AHHHHHHHHHHHH....refreshing!
  • Mike523
    Mike523 Posts: 393 Member
    HATE tap water. I mean REALLY HATE it. Whether it's filtered at the tap, put in a Brita pitcher, or straight from the tap, I think it tastes and feels wrong.

I have been going through a lot of 1/2 liter Poland Spring bottles, but yesterday I signed up for their home delivery service. They bring the big 5 gallon jugs right to your house, along with a water cooler to use, and I will use an aluminum bottle from now on. The delivery man picks up the empties, which get reused so I won't have dozens of little 1/2 liter bottles to recycle every week.

We'll see how it goes...
  • NYIceQueen
    NYIceQueen Posts: 1,423
    :smile:

Okay, well I'm one of those folks, because our tap water is horrible. You can smell the chlorine and other garbage every time you turn the water on. Also, I don't live far from that famous Love Canal and all that garbage/toxic material I'm pretty sure is in the water.

This area has an unusually high concentration of thyroid disease and thyroid cancer and I wouldn't be surprised if the water had something to do with it with the way it smells/tastes.

http://www.wkbw.com/lifestyle/Report-Finds-Chemical-In-Buffalo-Tap-Water-112219684.html = we have the chemical from the now-famous "Erin Brokovich" movie in our water. Not too keen on drinking that.

Everyone claims tap water is safe, but have you any idea of the chemicals and other material in it? Do we trust the gov't to tell us the truth about it?

In any event, they had something on this a while back that rated the best bottled water and the worst as far as pollutants, etc. I use Nestle bottled water which rated among their safest. http://www.nhwellnesscenters.com/blog/lifestyle-wellness/bottled-water-vs-tap-water/ this is what I could find on nestle for now....since they seem to be the most forthcoming and even these folks gave them a good rating, that's what I use.

And as for Brita, I used them for a while, but found the water tasted like charcoal each time. I did use Pur for a while, but those filters supposedly don't get rid of the chemicals, just the gunk in the water.
  • ciaobella47
    ciaobella47 Posts: 95 Member
    I have a reverse osmosis filter in my home and I LOVE it! It was costly to install but well worth the many years of enjoyable tap water. It really does taste so much better than regular tap water, which nearly makes me gag. And the greeny in me is satisfied. :)
  • NYIceQueen
    I have a reverse osmosis filter in my home and I LOVE it! It was costly to install but well worth the many years of enjoyable tap water. It really does taste so much better than regular tap water, which nearly makes me gag. And the greeny in me is satisfied. :)

When we buy a house that'll be on our list :laugh: We're renting, though...
  • mkeller234
    mkeller234 Posts: 121 Member
    Polar brand water bottles are fantastic. They are BPA free, insulated to stay cold AND made in the USA. I have 4 from cycling and I use them daily. Life would suck without them!
  • fitoverfifty
    fitoverfifty Posts: 192 Member
    Well in bottled water you have to worry about bacteria, depleting natural aquifers and springs, and of course the fact that you are wasting gobs of refined petroleum to make plastic (which of course likely has chemicas of its own which make it unsafe).

Tap water of course has chlorine in it which has been linked to new health problems I've heard...though they are new studies so we'll see, not to mention many people aren't a big fan of the chlorine taste!

To SOLVE the problem:

1. Best to buy a reusable water bottle....metal are the best, as they contain none of the harmful chemicals that can be found in some plastic water bottles (though the new Nalgene bottles are free of this chemical now) and metal bottles are easy to wash in the dishwasher.

2. If you are drinking tap water, you have a couple options. If you don't mind it straight from the tap, drink up! If you prefer tap water without the chlorine taste, leave a big stock pot of it out for a day.....the chlorine dissipates rapidly after 24 hours. Of you can always purchase a Brita Water Filter.....though expensive, these are nice, because then you always have nice fresh, filtered, cold water to drink that FEELS like you are drinking it straight from a bottle.

What bottled water equates to is a lazy solution to an easy problem. Bottled water is for people that don't have access to clean, bacteria free water. in the US, those places are quite rare.....it is in YOUR and the WORLD'S best interest to find a fancy bottle that expresses you or a nice filter and make your body happy by drinking a nice glass of tap water! AHHHHHHHHHHHH....refreshing!

LOve this! Thanks for the "solutions" and the info about bleach :-)
  • fitoverfifty
    fitoverfifty Posts: 192 Member

Okay, well I'm one of those folks, because our tap water is horrible. You can smell the chlorine and other garbage every time you turn the water on. Also, I don't live far from that famous Love Canal and all that garbage/toxic material I'm pretty sure is in the water.

This area has an unusually high concentration of thyroid disease and thyroid cancer and I wouldn't be surprised if the water had something to do with it with the way it smells/tastes.

http://www.wkbw.com/lifestyle/Report-Finds-Chemical-In-Buffalo-Tap-Water-112219684.html = we have the chemical from the now-famous "Erin Brokovich" movie in our water. Not too keen on drinking that.

Everyone claims tap water is safe, but have you any idea of the chemicals and other material in it? Do we trust the gov't to tell us the truth about it?

In any event, they had something on this a while back that rated the best bottled water and the worst as far as pollutants, etc. I use Nestle bottled water which rated among their safest. http://www.nhwellnesscenters.com/blog/lifestyle-wellness/bottled-water-vs-tap-water/ this is what I could find on nestle for now....since they seem to be the most forthcoming and even these folks gave them a good rating, that's what I use.

And as for Brita, I used them for a while, but found the water tasted like charcoal each time. I did use Pur for a while, but those filters supposedly don't get rid of the chemicals, just the gunk in the water.

Well.....if you watch the movie you will find there are less standards for bottled water than for tap water.
    We should all get angry about what is happening to our drinking water....it is rapidly being depleted.
    This is why I want people to watch informative movies about what is going on.
  • NYIceQueen

Well.....if you watch the movie you will find there are less standards for bottled water than for tap water.
    We should all get angry about what is happening to our drinking water....it is rapidly being depleted.
    This is why I want people to watch informative movies about what is going on.

agreed. This is why I went with one of the few bottlers who replied to the study AND were cited as one of the best brands by independent groups. For some of the chemicals in the water, though, there are no set "standards" like the chromium 6.

Frankly, I wouldn't trust anything that comes out of the soil, water or air in this area. We have acid SNOW for pete's sake. :laugh:

Here's a perfect example of this area. They had this silo that was, like, over 150 years old. Abandoned, not used for over 40 years, they spent so long arguing about who's cost it'd be to tear it down that it literally rusted apart and fell into Lake Erie. You could see rats constantly running in and out of the place and the smell of rat feces could be smelled by folks in the neighborhood. THAT'S in the water now, just as you reach the river, so it goes from the lake to the river to the creeks, etc....that's an example of what's in there.

And there was a standard in place. They paid fines. Said "sorry" but it's done. :sick:
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    I've heard those things. My brother is always saying bottled water isn't regulated while tap is. But seriously come to Arizona and try to stomach the bleachy/chlorine smelling water. Blech!! No way am I drink tap. I have done filtered tap but I like the convenience of cold readily available water in my water cooler. If it gets me to drink water more than tap water with ice then by all means I'm going to do it.

I drink R/O(reverse osmosis) water that I buy at a water store. I do somewhat worry about the BPA in the bottles and will be working up to buying some BPA free ones eventually but it really doesn't sit in them long because between my brother, daughter and me we go through 15 gallons in less than a week.

I use plastic, BPA containing I am sure, cups to drink at home and I have stainless steel bottler when I go out.

Whenever I get to purchasing a home I want to have R/O hooked up on the entire water for the house. Its so great to have clean water for hair when showering. We also have hard water here so I will have to see if I need a softener as well.
  • atomiclauren
    atomiclauren Posts: 689 Member
    Bump - I need to remember to watch Tapped..

I take a reusable water bottle to work and refill - we have a filtration machine which is handy. At home, we use a Brita tank (it's huge!) but in a pinch I don't mind tap water (plus, it's fortified, right? heh). City of Houston water is kind of complex with earthy tones to it with a woodsy aftertaste...lol :drinker:
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Mmm, tasty tasty bisphenol-A.