struggling with low fat foods

Options
Hello everyone,
I am really finding it hard to keep this up, the results are exremly slow and the smell
of the fast food joints is making me sad lol... I need some motivation plzzzzzz

Replies

• malganisprime
    Options
    Hello everyone,
    I am really finding it hard to keep this up, the results are exremly slow and the smell
  • jdaniels
    Options
    Watch the movie "Supersize Me" it is very motivational to see what all that fastfood does to your body. You can do this trust me I am a fastfood junkie and I haven't been to a fastfood place in a month.
    we are all here for you.
    YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!:wink:
  • Loretta_Jo
    Loretta_Jo Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    It’s good to see you here again. I was wondering about you and how you are doing.
    Are you eating a balanced diet now or are you still only eating fruit?
  • janieF
    janieF Posts: 17
    Options
    My motivation to stay away from fast food, is my boyfriend's brother and his girlfriend. Sounds mean, I know, but the 2 of them are sooo unhealthy and eat Taco Bell, McDonald's, Wendy's...at LEAST 3X a week I'd say. They always get bags of food from there, and now thinking about going there, yuck. When my boyfriend is home from school, his mom always cooks awesome (and generally healthy) meals for us that she'll pass up for fast food. Seeing how inactive and unhealthy they are makes me want to be healthier and never let myself get to that point.
    Also, if you are trying to eat healthy by nly eating low fat or fruits and vegetables, I think its easier to want to give in to the bad stuff. Because when we deny ourselves things, we want them more. You can make some awesome dinners that are really healthy! I don't personally have the time to cook most of the time, and I am lucky to get a lunch break some days, but South Beach Diet and Healthy Choice, etc. have some tasty choices as well.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    malganisprime,

Your title leads me to believe you are going low fat. But rest assured, you don't need
    to go low fat or low anything to be healthy, you just need to be balanced. Forget
    supersize me, thats kid stuff compared to the end of fast food nation, watch that movie
    and I guarantee you won't eat a hamburger for a month!

Anyway, Like I said, no need to deprive yourself. For example, I had a delicious
    turkey, and honey ham wrap tonight for dinner, with lettuce, onions, pickles and
    mustard. Just great, add a servinge of whole wheat pretzels and a 12 oz can
    of V8 and you have a VERY complete dinner that is just about 400 calories, if you
    use the Josephs Flax, Oat Bran, and whole wheat roll-ups (100 cals for a big roll-up)

Delicious, filling, and not a heck of a lot of fast food that is gonna be tastier then it IMHO.
    And I can eat it and feel good about my self in the morning. :tongue:

best of luck.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

Anything in life that is good for you is difficult. Weight loss is difficult. It takes time. It is a lifetime accomplishment and is well worth the time it takes. We all have the same problems and the same temptations, Ireland. Why are you losing weight? Is it for some special occasion and you need to lose it quickly??

Glad to see you back.

cheryl
  • malganisprime
    Options
    Ye i know that old saying and i do understand these things take time.. thing is i live beside resturants and fast food joints.. While i sit eating a salad and my rabbit food (low fat stuffs) i can smell the delicious fatning goodness lol:sad: .. Altho i am sticking to it, i am starting to dream of food and im not joking when i say that.. In answer to ur question abt why am i losing weight?.. Well i could stand to trim some off the ole cake belly get into shape, purly for healty purposes.. Thats my story and im sticking to it :happy:
  • deb_ge
    deb_ge Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    When your tummy is getting rumbly and nearly out of control...I find the answer is: Protein!

Grill up a lean steak with some lightly sauteed onions. Fresh tomatoes, sliced red onions. If you are doing carbs, make it a whole meal bun.

Or Grilled Chicken breast sandwich with reduced fat pepperjack cheese on top. Loads of salad greens.

Steer clear of fast food fries... but what about homemade oven fries? spray some chopped potatoes with olive oil and seasoning salt...your favorite kind, or better yet, sea salt and black pepper. Bake n eat. Good stuff.

It takes a little doin....but the rewards are such a blessing.

Fast food goes down fast, but comes off SLOW:noway:
  • rethun01
    rethun01 Posts: 167
    Options
    I love french fries sooooooooooooooooooo much. And there is nothing that any of those movies (Supersize Me, Fast Foo Nation) can do to detour me from wanting them. So I give myself a cheat once every two weeks. I know ahead of time what day I'm going to do it on and plan accordingly.

I love this place called Culver's. They're not everywhere, but you can get a "snack pack" that has a burger, small fries, and a small drink. I go through the drive up, order that, and go home. They don't ask you about "supersizing" there, so that isn't a temptation. And by taking it home I'm not tempted to go and get seconds, or buy some frozen custard for a dessert.

None of us are perfect and by denying yourself the food you crave, you're just setting yourself up for failure. I just can't give up greasy, bad for you stuff completely. Sounds like you're the same way. Just plan it in, keep it in moderation, and you'll be fine.

GOOD LUCK!
  • malganisprime
    Options
    HEHE., well u guys certainly know how to make good meals.. Tho i on the other hand can bearly boil and egg.. What foods can i fill up on that are not vegtables.. I find veg to be depressing and bland, guess i should have eaten them as child lol.. I find the hardest part of this to be coming home from work and not having the usual cheesecake and eclares as was the usual routine.. Tho i gota say , it is helpful to hear others are suffering as much as i am (I don't mean that in a bad way) :tongue: .. I have to agree tho french fries are a fan favorite and they are being soarly missed lol
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    mal,

We all suffer, trust me. To some degree, we all do. I would like to eat Kentucky Fried Chicken and Chinese food every night, but no more for me.
    I must say though, it does help to cook, if you can't cook, you need to teach yourself some rudimentry skills, cooking not only saves you lots of money by letting you buy quantity, it helps with quality as you can replace poor choices with healthier ones. I'm not saying you need to become a master chef, just learn to throw some lite maranara sauce on some chicken breasts (skinless), toss them in the oven for 25 minutes at 350, cook a sweet potato in the microwave for 10 minutes, and sautee some asparagus or broccoli for 6 or 7 minutes with 1 tblspn of extra virgin olive oil and tons of garlic, there you have it, a 3 course meal that is delicious, good for you, and easy to make! Filling, and around 500 calories if you keep the portions reasonable. this is just an example, but there are a million things you can do like this. Worst case, stock up on some weight watcher or Kashi meals so when you don't feel like cooking, voila! instant quick meal (high in sodium, but usually that's ok if you don't do it every night)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,944 Member
    Options
    Ireland,

I agree with the other ladies. (oh, and Banks the Boy) First: allow yourself to have a favorite food once in a while. I had pizza and margaritas and donuts and Reeses peanut-butter cup and coke over the weekend. I knew I was going to do it, and did some extra working out before and after, and I am still on track with my weight loss. I don't feel guilty about that - what would be the point?

I have a friend (who has also lost over 50 pounds) say that she allows herself to have her favorite foods, too. She said, "It's okay to have them occasionally, but not EVERY MEAL, like I was doing!!"

Try to have your sugary treats early in the day so you won't take them to bed with you - and while you can still burn some of the calories. Eating sugar, though, increases your cravings for more sugar and then you are on the roller-coaster of eating more sugar and then wanting more sugar.

This obssesion with fast food is in your head: and it is better to allow yourself than to deprive yourself. This is a LIFE change, not just until you lose your weight. Once you have something from "fast food" you will find that you WANT to get back to the business of losing weight. Don't beat yourself up, just get back to healthy eating and buckle down and exercise.

I didn't like to cook, either. There are plenty of recipes here under MessageBoards>Recipes. You can learn, as I did. And you will keep yourself busy shopping for fresh foods and learning to prepare them.

Keep it up!

~cheryl