Bread - to eat or not to eat...........

Options
2»

Replies

• alison2429
    alison2429 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Great - thanks everyone. Only problem is I don't think I can get many of these special breads in the U.K!
    I'll start examining the different ones I can get, eat them in the morning, max 2 slices at a time and preferably toasted - that should cover everything!!
    Cheers

x

:laugh:
  • mblanch
    mblanch Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I don't think there are that many low calorie ones in the UK.
    I only have bread as a treat, I don't eat it everyday but that is mainly because I love it and I can easily have it for breakfast and lunch and at 100 calories or so a slice it soon mounts up.
    If I only have it occasionally I can keep better control over my calories
  • Macacadopai
    Macacadopai Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Only rye bread. It's delicious with LOTS of fibers which is good for the tummy, but I think it might be hard to find it outside of Scandinavia. At least it used to be :)
  • shannonpatton
    shannonpatton Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Bread is ok - flour is what's bad for you. You can find flourless breads - and super healthy breads are out there - but here, check out these top two "bread myths" from Web MD - they explain very well how misleading packaging on bread is! Many breads that say multi-grain or wheat bread --- really just white bread with a little bit of healthy stuff thrown in! :-)

Bread Myth No. 1: If it looks brown and has the word "wheat" in the name, it has lots of fiber and whole grain.

The Truth: The first ingredient listed on the ingredient label tells the story. If it's "wheat flour" or "enriched bleached flour" (or similar), that tells you white flour was mostly used, not "whole-wheat flour."

Bread Myth No. 2: Breads with healthy sounding names like "seven-grain" or "100% natural" are the best choices.

That's good to know!!! Thanks :)

The Truth: Just because the name of the bread on the package sounds super-healthy, it doesn’t mean the bread actually is. Oroweat’s seven-grain and 12-grain breads, for example, list "unbleached enriched flour" as their first ingredient. Nature’s Pride 100% Natural Honey Wheat bread, likewise, is mainly made with "wheat flour," not whole wheat.
  • ShannonWinger
    ShannonWinger Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Since watching my bread intake I have felt so much better. I use to be a huge bread eater. I try to only eat whole wheat and not eat too much.