Caught in a black hole

Options
I started MFP yesterday because I couldn't sleep so I got on the computer and found this awesome site. I have read lots of blogs today and late last night and am so encouraged that there are several of you out there that are suffering from the same obsticles that I am. Im hoping to use this site to help open my eyes to my dietary intake and exercise routine and get encouragement from all of you. Im getting ready to have a birthday and am wanting to reach that 179# marker on my scale. Is that a realistic goal if I weight 186 right now! Why cant I seem to loose that weight I put on 14yrs ago after my first son....baby fat.....my........! I do good for a few days, then down hill I go. I have 2 boys and a husband who are not 100% supportive, just because they are growing boys and like food and my husband is weak when it comes to food also even though he is not very overweight. I want him to change his habits because of health issues he started having at the early age of 40. Any suggestions or words of encouragement!

Replies

• gayla
    gayla Posts: 4
    Options
    I started MFP yesterday because I couldn't sleep so I got on the computer and found this awesome site. I have read lots of blogs today and late last night and am so encouraged that there are several of you out there that are suffering from the same obsticles that I am. Im hoping to use this site to help open my eyes to my dietary intake and exercise routine and get encouragement from all of you. Im getting ready to have a birthday and am wanting to reach that 179# marker on my scale. Is that a realistic goal if I weight 186 right now! Why cant I seem to loose that weight I put on 14yrs ago after my first son....baby fat.....my........! I do good for a few days, then down hill I go. I have 2 boys and a husband who are not 100% supportive, just because they are growing boys and like food and my husband is weak when it comes to food also even though he is not very overweight. I want him to change his habits because of health issues he started having at the early age of 40. Any suggestions or words of encouragement!
  • heyslc
    heyslc Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Welcome gayla! I've been pretty much a lurker since i joined in Sept. But i luv this place! I've lost 8 lbs. so far, and have 12 more to reach my goal. The weight hasn't come off like water for me - It is a daily meal-by-meal committment for me to keep going. But I log in every day, and read all the helpful, encouraging posts from the other members, and that helps me keep focused! If I have a slip, I brush myself off, and get back on that horse!
  • kistinbee
    kistinbee Posts: 3,688 Member
    Options
    gayla
    I only started last week, and have already lost a total of 7 pounds. Mine you, I am very motivated! I eat around 1200 calories per day. I go to the gym 3-4 times per week (each time doing 1 hour cardio and 1/2 hour weights). I had in the past been doing 1 1/2 hours of cardio 3 times a week without counting calories and no weights--this showed no results. But changing my diet is what let me see the numbers go down on the scale. So, I think that hitting that 179 marker is a realistic goal (I started at 183 lbs last week Tuesday and am down to 176). So, get yourself motivated and I fully believe that you can achieve the results that you are looking for.

*kistinbee*
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    Gayla,

Welcome. I know what you are talking about with the growing kids and the husband and eating. My husband is very supportive too. But, he likes the junk food and lots of snacking. We went to the store together and bought snacks for the kids. Whole grain granola bars, and some other health items. We did buy some cookies for the kids and him. but,, they are the kind I do not like. Buy the fat free pop corn- or make air popped popcorn. There are a lot of items out there that the kids and the hubby will love. They can eat all natural peanut butter with an apple. It's also great for you. Your body will adjust and you will slowly stop craving the bad stuff.
    Just slowly eliminate the bad and add in the healthy. They don't really have to know.
    Good luck to you and your family