Help! Targeting Fat Loss????

Options
Can someone please explain whether or not one can actually target fat loss in certain areas of the body? On one hand, I read that that your genetics determine how you lose weight. I can understand that for how your body STORES fat but not how you lose it.

If the body is supposed to be this efficient engine, then to me, your muscles will burn the closest fuel source to where it is needed. So, if I am working my abs and I need fuel, then instead of waiting for it to come from the tips of my toes, it's going to grab it from my stomach because that's the most efficient fuel source (unless there's something easier to break down like a simple carb--sugar-- that's in the same area).

I see these women at my gym on the ellipticals just going at it with these tight arms and muscular legs and then flabby mid sections. I see men with these swollen upper bodies and teeny tiny legs. I mean how can you target muscle build but not fat loss? It seems to be the same principles to me.

Help!

Replies

• sweebum
    sweebum Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    You cannot target fat loss. You can firm up different areas.

That said, when I lose then gain weight, I tend to gain in a different spot, but I don't think that counts :laugh: