Anyone do the p90x workout but not the food/nutrition?

Options
I think the exercises look awesome but I think nutritional drinks and supplements are mostly too processed and not good for me, not to mention pricey! Has anyone had success just following the exercise plan and doing entirely your own food? I just know that if I have to eat that overpriced crap I won't do it, but I like the exercises.

Edited to add that nutritional supplements are okay once in a while, but not as a large percentage of your diet.

Replies

• itskristina
    itskristina Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have that exact same question. Any info would help.
  • CNParker
    CNParker Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I will let you know in 2 1/2 months. LOL. I'm not following the food plan just the lean program.
  • Tigerc15
    Options
    i tried it with doing my own food and supplements it doesn't work, i did it for 2 months straight and unless you follow a strict diet plan you won't lose weight cause for me the cardio that you do in the P90X does not give you an ample workout without also spending some time on a treadmill or elliptical. thats what i found
  • alaskagrown
    alaskagrown Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    What if I follow a strict MFP "diet" plan (counting calories to 1200 religiously) but i don't drink and eat their special food?
  • vinniesooner
    vinniesooner Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I do the exercises without THEIR diet - but I dis make changes to my diet. That's why I'm here, actually. I've lost 27 lbs since October, gained muscle, and look like an entirely different person.
  • HUSTLABALLA
    HUSTLABALLA Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have been doing P90X along with my own training and do completely my own food. Its very easy to lose the weight and build the muscle - I am losing about 7000 calories in 7-10 workouts. (minimum of 60 min)
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    What if I follow a strict MFP "diet" plan (counting calories to 1200 religiously) but i don't drink and eat their special food?

I'll take a stab at this question. In my first round of P90X I followed a 1,700-2,000 calorie diet. 1,200 calories is too low for this type of workout. I also did some extra cardio in the 2nd month. During that time I lost 24 pounds. I didn't eat any special P90X bars, shakes, or recovery drink. i tried the recovery drink early on, but I switched to BSN protein. I do take supplements, but that's just my thing. I need to take in 100 grams a protein a day and I don't like to eat a million eggs each day. I highly recommend that you keep your protein intake up. Protein helps build and repair muscle.
  • Chalktawmom
    Chalktawmom Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    P90x is definitely worth doing without the diet! I LOVE the workouts! I have been doing the workouts -in no particular order- and trying to stay around 1200 high protein calories since Jan 17th and have lost 10 lbs and an inch in my thighs and an inch in my hips. So I'm excited to keep going. Now granted...I have exercised before, I have dieted before but I have NEVER stuck to both at the same time! It's great. Before I always "rewarded" my workouts with double servings of nachos or pizza!

So, my advice is GO FOR P90X! if nothing else it will make you feel - well for lack of a better term....badass ;-)
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    I do the lean version. I don't follow the nutrition plan, but I do use a protein supplement. I just try to eat lots of protein, veggies, a little fruit, and I make my own wholegrain carbs (bread, pitas, tortillas, etc...) I also really watch my sugar. I have just completed phase 2, minus the recovery week. I try to eat 1450-2000 calories a day and to get 100 grams of protein, or 30%, whichever I can manage. I do use a protein powder, just one I found at Holland and Barrett. Since I started, I've been trying to lose 1 pound a week, but sometimes it's more. I've also dropped three whole jeans sizes since I started.
  • alaskagrown
    Options

I'll take a stab at this question. In my first round of P90X I followed a 1,700-2,000 calorie diet. 1,200 calories is too low for this type of workout. I also did some extra cardio in the 2nd month. During that time I lost 24 pounds. I didn't eat any special P90X bars, shakes, or recovery drink. i tried the recovery drink early on, but I switched to BSN protein. I do take supplements, but that's just my thing. I need to take in 100 grams a protein a day and I don't like to eat a million eggs each day. I highly recommend that you keep your protein intake up. Protein helps build and repair muscle.

Oh, understood. That makes perfect sense. I guess I didn't think about how I phrased it. I'm not stuck on 1200 calories unless it makes sense for my body.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Yeah, hate for your loss to get stalled. Hope you have a happy birthday coming up.
  • Xenocat
    Options
    Im doing P90 right now. Screw their 'Diet plan'. I've just been following the MFP calorie suggestions, and working out w/ power 90, and power 90 master series, and I'm down 25 lbs since Jan 1st, when i started.
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    what is the P90X lean version?

I did my first workout today, and I am mainly going to use it for strength training because I do so much other cardio that I'm not willing to give up. I also will follow my own diet :)
  • alaskagrown
    Options
    @katapple-- that sounds like where i'm at too! i belong to a gym and i love it and don't want to give it up! But I figure I can watch ol' Tony a few times and then do his suggestions in the gym!
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    @katapple-- that sounds like where i'm at too! i belong to a gym and i love it and don't want to give it up! But I figure I can watch ol' Tony a few times and then do his suggestions in the gym!

exactly! How could I give up Zumba and Turbokick?! I'm also a runner, and I don't want to give that up either. My husband is going to follow the program following his own diet though. I hope he gets the results he's after!