Weight Loss Paradox

Options
I joined MFP beginning of January and I lost 7 lbs with working out maybe 1-2 days a week and watching what I ate. NOW, I work out 5-6 days a week, still watching what I eat, and I gained 1 lb and haven't lost any weight in a week or two.

Any insight with what is going on???

Replies

• milbrymoore
    Options
    Are you using the food diary to record all your food? If not I highly recommend it. Also note if the calories for a particular food seems too low because they are not always accurate. Good luck to you in your weight loss efforts.
  • 3LittleMonkeys
    3LittleMonkeys Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Muscle gain? Do you take your measurements?
  • sauza
    sauza Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    you are being punished for something you did in a former life OR you are building muscle which weighs much more than fat even though it takes up much less space :)
  • ggoree
    ggoree Posts: 8
    Options
    Hi Meglane,

I'm having the same problem, I joined MFP in January and I lost 6lbs, I walk 1.5 miles 5 days a weeks resistance training 2 days and I always eat less calories than what is determined by MFP.:frown:
  • barefootbeautiful
    Options
    Muscle gain. Unfortunately, muscle weighs more than fat; I say unfortunately because it is very disconcerting when your jeans fit better.... and the scale is going up. I'm guessing that with the significant increase in exercise, you're significantly increasing your lean muscle mass, so that even though you are slimming down, the scale is going up. If you want an accurate measurement, a DEXA scan will do it, but many times it's easier to just ask this: how are your clothes fitting?
  • danielleeeee
    Options
    You've probably just built up a lot of muscle from all the working out you've been doing! Since muscle weighs more than fat, you're likely still losing inches even though the number on the scale is going up a little.
  • Nlbrooks76
    Nlbrooks76 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    So how long will it take for the scale to still going down? I started losing weight in NOV lost 20 pounds in like 5 weeks. I have started working out 4 to 6 times a week and have lost 1 pound since Jan. It is so frusrating. Yes I have lost inches but would like to see the scale go down too.
  • barefootbeautiful
    Options
    So how long will it take for the scale to still going down? I started losing weight in NOV lost 20 pounds in like 5 weeks. I have started working out 4 to 6 times a week and have lost 1 pound since Jan. It is so frusrating. Yes I have lost inches but would like to see the scale go down too.

I share your frustation. I REALLY do. I've been working out religiously for 9 months now, and although I've lost two dress sizes, I'm only down about 20 pounds. I KNOW I'm losing fat - I do DEXA scans about every 3-4 months, it's really frustrating not to see it on the scale. I've decided to cut a few more calories - not many, since I WANT muscle gain - and see what happens. But it is hard.
  • meglane
    meglane Posts: 39
    Options
    I suppose I am happy for the muscle, but it still doesn't change the fact that I want to lose 20 lbs haha. Preferably by summer.....Anybody have suggestions to induce the weight loss (of fat of course). I naturally gain muscle easily, but i still have fat to lose so I guess I'm just frustrated that the fat isn't going away!!
  • ElaineHuth
    Options
    Time my friend :) Time... I know when I lost 15 lbs it wasn't instant if you can loose 5 lbs a month you'll still be 15 lbs lighter by June and that's just slightly over a pound a week weight loss. Not an easy task by any means but definitely easier than making an unreasonable goal. I would say just continue to do what your doing and you'll be fine. Trainers always say that you'll plateau at some point and maybe you need to switch up some workouts. I just need to work out in general... I've got to get this under control :)
  • barefootbeautiful
    Options
    Nevermind. I'll email it to you.