dinner under 300 cals-any ideas?

Options
ambie35
ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
Looking for some under or around 300 cal dinner ideas.
Tonight I had an open faced homemade turkey burger and salad with fat free dressing that came to just under 300 all together and my sister recommended white fish with veggies (I bought frozen haddock fillets that are about 100 calories each). Just wondering if anyone else had any low cal dinner ideas?

Replies

• rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I keep canned soups in the cupboard (healthy choice- low sodium types are my favorite) when I'm out of calories in the evening!

Lentil is a favorite because it's filling but lo-cal
  • thomaslh83
    thomaslh83 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Don't know if you like frozen meals, but the Healthy Choice brand has some individual meals that are within that range.
  • Adsnwfld
    Adsnwfld Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    A big salad with fresh greens with 4 oz of tuna. The dressing will make or break it you could get away with that whole meal being 200 calories
  • juberry
    juberry Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I like a small piece of grilled boneless skinless chicken breast, a serving of steamed brown rice, and some steamed veggies when I need a low-calorie dinner. There's even room for some butter or margarine on the rice and veggies, and I also use a squirt of soy sauce.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    My dinner was barely 200 calories night (I'm actually thinking of having more, perhaps yogurt).

Anyway,

- Purdue perfect portions chicken breast, italian style
    - pan steamed zucchini and yellow squash with some garlic and emeril's seasoning
  • RobertaG
    RobertaG Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Here are some of my favorites:
    http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/1346
  • ttime20
    ttime20 Posts: 3
    Options
    I eat this quite often and makes for a quick lunch or dinner. Comes out to around 300 calories. It is very low in fat and high in protein. I also usually have a glass of skim milk with this so that would put it around 400 calories with the milk.

6 oz Skinless Chicken Breast Tenders
    La Tortilla Factory 100 Calorie Wrap
    Dole Hearts of Romaine Lettuce
    Add a fat free/low calorie sauce ( I really like Famous Dave's BBQ, Franks Red Hot Wings Sweet Heat BBQ or Buffalo)

Enjoy!
  • ambie35
    Options
    ohh,I love the chicken wrap idea! sounds fantastic. Thank you for the website and all the other suggestions too. (I am now craving lentil soup)
  • frenchprairiegirl
    frenchprairiegirl Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Tonight's dinner was 2 thin slices of roast beef, 6 baby potatoes and half a cup of peaches and cream corn, total of 332 calories.YUM!
  • SmartFunGorgeous
    SmartFunGorgeous Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I bought "Betty Crocker the 300 Calorie Cook Book" from Amazon and it has some awesome meals. I think it cost around $12, and though it doesn't have that many pictures, it had really good reviews. Although I haven't counted, based on page numbers, I'm guessing it has right around 300 recipes, or slightly more.

I know this isn't the same as getting a recipe for immediate use, but it might be worth it to invest in the cookbook. I just got it last weekend, and I haven't really used it yet, but it looks promising.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • maryrunslikeafox
    maryrunslikeafox Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Can you share your turkey burger recipe?? =)

PS: I just posted a buffalo chicken quesadilla recipe, 2= 485 cals, so 1 would be 242.5!
  • halphord
    halphord Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I made some spaghetti sqaush, added sauteed onions, fire roasted tomatoes, sliced olives and feta cheese. I cup of cooked spaghetti squash is only about 41 calories...the highest calories would come from the feta. but, all you need is a little of that anyway. It's really a good meal!
  • ambie35
    Options
    for the burger.all I did was pan fry ground turkey. It was a little plain actually, I'm looking for some spices to add for next time. Added a piece of romaine and some mayonnaise and ketchup to perk it up a bit. Your recipe looks yummy !
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    This Rosemary Chicken and Potatoes is insanely easy to make! http://www.mccormick.com/Recipes/Main-Dish/Rosemary-Baked-Chicken-with-Potatoes.aspx

The only change I make is to use boneless, skinless chicken breast instead of chicken thighs. If you do that, the nutritional info looks like this:

Calories: 240

Fat: 6

Carbohydrates: 19 g

Cholesterol: Not counted by MFP in the recipe calculator, so I don't know! But should be lower than original as there is so much less fat!

Sodium: 345 mg

Fiber: 3 g

Protein: 27 g
  • Atlantique
    Options
    for the burger.all I did was pan fry ground turkey. It was a little plain actually, I'm looking for some spices to add for next time. Added a piece of romaine and some mayonnaise and ketchup to perk it up a bit. Your recipe looks yummy !

Here's a thread with some awesome ideas for spicing things up!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/182402-zest-up-dinner-w-flavors-from-around-the-world
  • maryrunslikeafox
    maryrunslikeafox Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    coolness!
  • Purplegal
    Purplegal Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    This Rosemary Chicken and Potatoes is insanely easy to make! http://www.mccormick.com/Recipes/Main-Dish/Rosemary-Baked-Chicken-with-Potatoes.aspx

The only change I make is to use boneless, skinless chicken breast instead of chicken thighs. If you do that, the nutritional info looks like this:

Cholesterol: Not counted by MFP in the recipe calculator, so I don't know! But should be lower than original as there is so much less fat!

Wow that sounds DELISH! Thanks!
  • DHalaby73
    DHalaby73 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Chicken Thighs Cacciatore

Serve over pasta with a garden salad and Italian bread.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 1/4 cups)

Ingredients
    3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
    1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper
    1 pound skinless, boneless chicken thighs
    1 teaspoon olive oil
    Cooking spray
    2 cups frozen pepper stir-fry (such as Birds Eye)
    1 cup frozen chopped onion
    1/2 cup dry red wine
    2 (14.5-ounce) cans diced tomatoes, drained
    1 bay leaf
    Preparation
    Combine first 5 ingredients in a large zip-top plastic bag; add chicken. Seal bag, and shake to coat.

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook 5 minutes or until browned, turning once. Add pepper stir-fry and remaining ingredients; cover and cook 8 minutes.

Uncover and cook 3 minutes or until thick. Discard bay leaf.

Nutritional Information
    Calories:
    223 (24% from fat)
    Fat:
    5.9g (sat 1.3g,mono 2.3g,poly 1.3g)
    Protein:
    25.2g
    Carbohydrate:
    17.7g
    Fiber:
    4g
    Cholesterol:
    94mg
    Iron:
    2.6mg
    Sodium:
    568mg
    Calcium:
    55mg
  • Atlantique
    Options

Wow that sounds DELISH! Thanks!

Even I can handle a recipe that basically only requires that I can cut a potato in half! :bigsmile:
  • DHalaby73
    DHalaby73 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Roast Chicken Salad with Peaches, Goat Cheese, and Pecans

Fresh peaches and goat cheese headline this simple no-cook salad recipe. The 8-ingredient vinaigrette, made with pantry staples, takes minutes to make and is a delicious compliment to the other ingredients in the salad. Use a store-bought rotisserie chicken to save time in the kitchen. Serve with herbed bread.

Prep Time: 30 minutes

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: about 1 3/4 cups salad and 1 1/2 teaspoons cheese)

Ingredients
    2 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
    1 1/2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    1 1/2 tablespoons minced shallots
    2 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
    2 1/2 teaspoons maple syrup
    3/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
    1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    2 cups shredded skinless, boneless rotisserie chicken breast
    2 cups sliced peeled peaches
    1/2 cup vertically sliced red onion
    1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
    1 (5-ounce) package gourmet salad greens
    2 tablespoons crumbled goat cheese
    Preparation
    1. Combine first 8 ingredients; stir with a whisk.

2. Combine chicken and remaining ingredients except cheese in a large bowl. Add vinegar mixture; toss gently. Sprinkle with cheese.

Herbed bread: Unroll the dough from a (13.8-ounce) can refrigerated pizza crust. Fold dough in half; pat into a 9-inch square. Let rest 15 minutes. Brush dough with 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil. Sprinkle evenly with 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme, 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary, 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, and 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper. Bake at 350° for 11 minutes or until golden.

Nutritional Information
    Calories:
    Fat:
    14g (sat 2.4g,mono 7.8g,poly 2.8g)
    Protein:
    24.6g
    Carbohydrate:
    16g
    Fiber:
    2.9g
    Cholesterol:
    61mg