2»

Replies

• lizzyb0601
    lizzyb0601 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I second the vita tops recommendation.
  • britpatt2010
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone!!! I love fiber one bars. My mom used to buy them when I was in high school and I would eat one for breakfast. Can't believe I didnt think of them!!!
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    My chocolate fixes are:
    * eating bittersweet chocolate. I make sure to buy one that breaks into small squares, then portion out 1/2 ounce. I suck on each little piece and it is VERY chocolatey and doesn't take too much before it is almost too much. Not a lot of sugar, and the lovely antioxidants!
    * Another fix is using Hershey's cocoa powder and stevia to make some hot chocolate.
    * My summer time treat is to get out my blender and make a chocolate milkshake!! (Can't wait for summer!) I just use maybe 12 ice cubes, 1/2 cup of non fat or soy milk, additional non fat milk powder (helps to thicken it up!), stevia sweetener, and a good 2 tablespoons of Hershey's cocoa powder. This is essentially the calorie content of a glass of milk! Sometimes I add half or a whole banana which really makes it thick and yummy! It makes about 20 ounces, so when you have savored every last drop you really feel like you've had something bad, but good!
    *Good Earth Chocolate Chai tea is my latest find! (they sell it on Amazon! I think I'll buy it and split it with her because it is 6 boxes!) My friend shared this with me and when I opened the foil pouch it smelled EXACTLY like the chocolate NECCO candies! I immediately made a cup. My friend likes to make it really strong and add milk, but I drank mine straight and it was very chocolatey and satisfying! = D
  • agibsonky
    agibsonky Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    bump
  • amybrauch
    amybrauch Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I love the Kellogg's Fiber Plus bars. They are around 120 calories, but they really are soooo good. They taste really sinful. Also, I don't think that eating 3 kisses a day is cheating at all, as long as you are w/in your calories. I keep Dove Chocolate squares around (my weakness) and they are 44 calories each, but sometimes you just have to eat one! Don't be so hard on yourself!
  • susanswan
    Options
    as someone else said, the chocolate vitatops are AMAZING. i also make these little chocolate blobs all the time, not exactly low fat but the ingredients are all healthy and it really takes care of my chocolate craving:

ingredients:
    1/4 cup lightly salted cashews
    1/4 cup coconut date rolls (or medjool dates, but i like the rolls way better)
    vanilla
    water
    2 T dark cocoa powder

blend the cashews in a food processor until they turn into fine crumbs. then add in the dates and cocoa powder and process until the mixture looks VERY crumbly. then add in a splash of vanilla extract and a teaspoon or so of water and process again. the mixture should form into a sticky blob, if it's still too crumbly add more water or vanilla. roll into balls and then die in a pool of chocolatey bliss because what you're eating is so freaking good and healthy at the same time!

That reminds me of LARABARS which are just dates and nuts as a base so they don't use "things" that you couldn't find at the grocery store in them. I used to try to come up with a recipe similar to yours using peanuts and dates and cocoa powder. Tasted like a brownie!
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I eat a couple of squares of dark chocolate almost every day. It's usually between 45 - 90 calories and it's really not a big deal. I don't feel bad about it. In my experience, it's not healthy to deny yourself the foods you enjoy. It's important to be mindful about your choices and to use moderation. But I realized something a few months ago - if I tell myself that I can never eat chocolate or tuna salad or hamburgers again, I'm going to fail. Should my entire diet consist of those foods? No. But I can treat myself every so often. I can also make better choices when I do have a treat.

That being said, if you have issues with portion control, you might want to get used to healthy eating before reintroducing sweets and fatty foods back into your diet. When I first started losing weight, I needed to keep certain foods out of the house, but now I don't have any problem avoiding the junk food in our pantry and freezer.
  • susanswan
    Options
    I totally say reward yourself -especially if it's only 3! Moderation and log it! Also, Hershey's cocoa powder if useful ~ I flavor oatmeal with it if I want chocolate first thing in the morning. :) Only 10 calories.

Wasn't sure this would work for me. I tried Chocolate Malt-O-Meal, ate it once then threw the rest of it out after a couple years of realizing I'd never eat it again.

I added just about 1tsp. to my Original Oatmeal this morning and OMG! It took me right back to Cocoa Krispies, and then reminded me of a chocolate lava cake how the oatmeal separates from the thickened milk! I think this would handle any winter craving any time of the day and get some good fiber in, too! = D Great idea for when you don't want to add fruit to your oatmeal!!
  • susanswan
    Options
    That being said, if you have issues with portion control, you might want to get used to healthy eating before reintroducing sweets and fatty foods back into your diet. When I first started losing weight, I needed to keep certain foods out of the house, but now I don't have any problem avoiding the junk food in our pantry and freezer.

This is VERY WISE advice. Think of an alcoholic trying to just have a drink now and then! Different scenario, I know, but still I know for myself that I am shooting for 90 days of not even one "Oh, I'll just have one today". I really need to reinforce the changes I plan to make. I am using the money comparison of : Can I afford it?. If I only have cash in my wallet, why would I buy a $20 lunch if I only have $10? I have a good 30 pounds to lose. I am only 3 weeks in. I don't think now is the time to reward myself with a big piece of chocolate cake! I can wait! I think I'll live. In the meantime I can refocus on what is really important to me such as not letting food run my life anymore!
  • nickyevans
    nickyevans Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I am one of those lucky people who doesnt really like chocolate, or sweets. My weaknesses tend to be butter and ready salted crisps etc....
  • Foxygardner
    Options
    Dark chocolate is the answer! I went vegan (no animal products at all including dairy) about 7 years ago and sadly I had to give up milk chocolate. I didn't like dark chocolate in the begining but now I LOVE IT! A small piece is all I need to cure my chocolate cravings where previously I could have eaten a whole bag of kisses.
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    as someone else said, the chocolate vitatops are AMAZING. i also make these little chocolate blobs all the time, not exactly low fat but the ingredients are all healthy and it really takes care of my chocolate craving:

ingredients:
    1/4 cup lightly salted cashews
    1/4 cup coconut date rolls (or medjool dates, but i like the rolls way better)
    vanilla
    water
    2 T dark cocoa powder

blend the cashews in a food processor until they turn into fine crumbs. then add in the dates and cocoa powder and process until the mixture looks VERY crumbly. then add in a splash of vanilla extract and a teaspoon or so of water and process again. the mixture should form into a sticky blob, if it's still too crumbly add more water or vanilla. roll into balls and then die in a pool of chocolatey bliss because what you're eating is so freaking good and healthy at the same time!

Trying this one tonight - trying to get away from soy and it's in every chocolate I've found so this sounds like it might be a good substitute.