Eating before sleep?

Options
Hey guys,
I have a tendency to eat and then sleep right after (usually when it's carbs), I was wondering if it's true that you'll gain a bunch more weight by doing this, or is a calorie a calorie no matter what?
I mean, the other option is that I'll be reading, in front of my computer, or watching television after I eat, so it's not like I'd be burning major calories.

Replies

• traceybett
    traceybett Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Good point. I am curious about this one too
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie but remember that yyou have to let the food digest for around 2 hours before going to sleep. I am no expert on the subject but I know many recommend eating 2 hours before bed.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    I think a calorie is a calorie and it doesn't really matter when you consume those calories but I have seen some studies that suggest it might be harmful for sleep and digestion. If overall you're staying under your calorie goal it shouldn't matter when you eat them.
  • gazbo1986
    gazbo1986 Posts: 52
    Options
    you shouldn't eat carbs before bed cuz

i think the only thing you can get away with eating is something with a slow digesting protein in it, like casein

anything else is just going straight to your thighs, or butt, or wherever the hell your fat usually collects itself...
  • frenchfri87
    frenchfri87 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Some people say you should not eat after a certain time at night. I think that only works for them because they are cutting out the extra calories they would have consumed at night. I drink a casein protein shake before bed every night. I think you will be ok eating before bed, just try to make healthy food choices! :flowerforyou:
  • sauza
    sauza Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I have seen too many beautifully fit folks who eat right before sleep to think it matters in 'all' cases. If it isn't affecting you, it isn't.
  • smesta
    smesta Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I can't attest to its scientific basis but this has always stuck with me - while watching a documentary about sumo wrestlers, it showed their highly regimented schedule which included mandatory siestas immediately after meals to help raise their weight. I've never eaten right before bed after watching that!
  • dr1981
    dr1981 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Eating before bed didn't harm my efforts on my way to losing the 60lbs that I did. But I THINK I can say that it may have affected my ability to fall asleep.
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I've found for me that if I sleep better if I don't eat before bed. Also, I might be crazy but I love to workout before bed. (It is also the only time I have, too)
  • carolynmittens
    Options
    the trainer at my gym said that when you sleep, your body first burns carbs, then fat, then protein. so if you eat carbs right before bed, your body won't burn any stored fat, it'll just burn whatever carbs you just ate then store the extras as fat. but if you eat protein before bed, your body will burn stored carbs and fat before it burns the protein.
  • Gabriella2091
    Options
    I don't think exercising before bed is crazy, I do the same thing. It is very relaxing and if I exercise during the day I tend to overeat from that point on. So now I play it safe, exercise before bed, and have no time for overeating. It's a win-win situation.