Questions about exercise and such????

Options
So, tomorrow begins the next phase of my journey. At 5:45am EST I will be starting out with my Nautilus Treadclimber. I used it last fall with some success. (lost 10 lbs in two weeks without modifying diet much). This time I am using MFP and have since 1/1/2011 been eating 1500 calories or less a day. Sodium has been kept to less than 2500 almost every day, carbs and fat have been under the daily goal almost every day. The only line I routinely go over (besides A, C, Calcium, Iron, and fiber) is sugar. I am over almost every day due to mostly the following items: oranges, bananas, apples, yogurt, and other fruits like grapes.

What I want to know is the following: is this a big deal and as I start exercising and should I move the intake up to meet what I deduct in exercise. For example, if I burn 300 calories on said tread climber, should I move up to 1800 calories that day to offset? I guess when I enter the exercise into MFP it auto calculates, so I should stick with 1500 calories?

All advice is welcome and all encouragement needed!

Good luck to all on their journeys!

Matt

Replies

• jen0125
    jen0125 Posts: 53
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/10665-newbies-please-read-me-2nd-edition

i suggest reading the 4 links here. The last one specifically I suppose. good luck!
  • Ishsisha
    Ishsisha Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    as you enter your exercise into the system, it also auto calculates how many cals extra you get to eat for the day. for example, if you tell the system that you walked 30 minutes and 3.0 mph pace, it gives you an extra 112 calories to eat for the day. So yes, eat the extra 112 calories ... but it will tell you what you need to eat.

There is also the option to "quick add" your exercise calories, if your treadmill says you burned 300 calories ... you can just enter that in, and it will also add it to what you are allowed to eat for the day.

Play around with adding exercises in the "Exercise" tab, and you'll see what I mean...
  • anharrison
    anharrison Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I struggle a lot with sugar too. I talked with a nutritionist at my gym and she said that not to focus too hard on sugar intake if it's all natural (from fruits and such). But, she also said that replacing all those fruits with veggies may boost weight loss becuase even thought the fruit sugars are natural, it's still sugar. So I really didn't get an answer except for fruits are obviously healthy and better than other sweets but eating tons and tons of fruits may not be the best boost for weight loss.
  • lockedonna
    Options
    Yes...when you load your exercise into MFP, it will "re-calculate". It's based on "net" calories. If you are supposed to have 1500 calories a day and you use 300 of those exercising, you should eat another 300 to make up for it. I follow MFP pretty closely - meaning if I exercise and it says I can eat more calories, I eat more calories. The only day I don't eat all the extra calories they say I can is on Mondays. I have 2 high impact bellydance classes back to back and it says I burn 1000 calories. There's no way I can bring myself to eat 1000 extra calories - I can physicially do it, but I'm trying to be good. I do eat a little extra to celebrate though. We'll see if it works for me. I have my first weigh-in tomorrow morning. For my own sanity, I'm only weighing myself once a week. Good luck to you!