100% Whey Protein

Options
twinwolf
twinwolf Posts: 165 Member
I need some advice on Whey protein. I bought a 5 lb container of Optimum Nutrition 100% whey protein for a recovery drink after working out. I plan to eat a good breakfast, work out, drink the drink, and then go shower and get ready for work. Is this type of protein good as a recovery? I won't be able to make anything after working out before work. I know if I wait till I get home from working an 11 hour day, I will not do the workout..

Tips, thoughts, suggestions are all welcome!

Thanks,

Matt

Replies

• jaybaileys
    jaybaileys Posts: 317
    Options
    Matt,

You will probably get several opinions. Personally I take a recovery drink after a workout. I take a whey shake as my mid-morning snack. Some people take whey shakes strictly after workouts. I have done the recovery drink for 2.5 years after everything but yoga and have dealt well with post workout soreness. I think whatever works for you, if you are doing lighter workouts that may be good for you. Also I just read some articles from the magazine they give out at GNC and they talk about a whey/casein combo for a post workout drink. Ive never done it but they lay out an argument for it. I also started adding glutamine to my recovery drink after reading another article in that same magazine. Ive been doing kettlebell workouts, and although Im exhausted afterwards, I do not have trouble recovering normally after a day of rest.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Matt,

You will probably get several opinions. Personally I take a recovery drink after a workout. I take a whey shake as my mid-morning snack. Some people take whey shakes strictly after workouts. I have done the recovery drink for 2.5 years after everything but yoga and have dealt well with post workout soreness.

Same. I get home, drink my shake, shower, and carry on!
  • zgibbons
    zgibbons Posts: 1
    Options
    Whey protein is an excellent post workout recovery drink as it is absorbed more quickly than solid food. A shake takes around 30-60 minutes to absorbed by the body as opposed to the 2-3 hours a solid food meal can take. This is key as the faster the protein and carbohydrates get to the muscle the better the chance for muscle building and recovery. Just be sure to work off the 30 minute rule when consuming any pre or post workout meals, which states that within 30 minutes of working out and within 30 minutes of finishing are the ideal time periods to consume your protein shake.
  • twinwolf
    twinwolf Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Thanks, this all very helpful!