Exercising After Being Sick?

Options
In the last 6 weeks I have developed some healthy eating habits and been very consistent about getting to the gym. Hell, I even I lost weight on vacation. But this last week I had flu and now pneumonia. I am on day 4 of antibiotics. Breathing is still a little difficult at times so I know I cannot return to my normal workout routine, but I am worried that this will be my excuse for not getting back on track.

My doctor said to let my comfort level be my guide-- not much help to a recovering lazy blob. =) Any been there, done that stories? Do I cut my cardio intensity or time for now and concentrate on strength training? I have heard stories of people having this nagging cough for a month, surely it will not take me that long to be back to my normal work-out, right?

Replies

• Cluelessj5
    Options
    Last week I was sick not sure what I had but did run a temp. and all I wanted to do was sleep and I did for 4 days and them I made my self get on the elliptical. I just did work as hard as I had been took it easy and cut about 15 min off my work out. But I did feel better after each workout!..
  • HungryMom
    HungryMom Posts: 280
    Options
    I finally made it back to the gym, and my lungs felt fine. My legs were a little weaker but made it through a slightly-lighter-than-normal workout. It was very hard taking care of my two young sons when I was sick. The thought of overdoing it and causing a relapse had me concerned. Steroids and antibiotics are done, and I am happy to be back in my routine.