Adrenal Fatigue - Supplements

Options
Really hoping to hear from my adrenal/cortisol sufferers!

I was diagnosed with serious adrenal fatigue about a year ago. Since I was switching my thyroid medication to an all-natural thyroid, I wanted to stay natural in adrenal fatigue treatment, also. My doc recommended Now Super Cortisol Support with Relora and I had to take this 3 times a day. This supplement was really hard to find. All of the natural and vitamin stores in Dallas, and I couldn't find one that carried it. I ordered it from 3 different online stores, which turned around to refund my money to tell me they were out of stock. It was beyond annoying. During this time, I started taking a supplement a whole foods employee recommended called Adrenal Stress. I also had to take this 3 times a day. Finally, I found a bottle of the Now Super Cortisol Support with Relora and it was pretty pricey. Not to mention, it is so difficult taking something 3 times a day! All my other medications are once a day and it's in the morning, so it was hard to remember the other two times. I took these adrenal fatigue supplements for maybe 3 months. I decided this isn't working and just stopped taking them all together.

So now a year later, I'm still exhausted (which is hard to tell if it's from the adrenal fatigue or the hypothyroidism) and I have this huge belly from all of the cortisol my crazy adrenal glands are producing. After doing some research, I found out that it can take 1- 2 years worth of supplements before your adrenal glands are better. Holy Crap! No wonder why i gave up in 3 months. I can't believe i have to take these for 1- 2 years!

To sum up, I need to get back on a really good supplement for good adrenal health. What do you take? Is it pretty affordable? Can you tell a difference? What are you doing to treat yours?

Replies

• cheangela
    cheangela Posts: 173
    Options
    I'm a former thyroid sufferer whose doctor assumed/suggested that I was having adrenal issues as well. Pills and I never really got along, so I wasn't all that stoked about shoveling gads of prescription grade crudstuffs down my piehole. I did some reading and saw some doctors boasting about the positive effects of b-vitamins and iodine, both of which were slim to nil in my diet since I started exhibiting signs. There were a bunch of other suggestions for supplements, but after pricing all those pills out I realized I would have to get a second job to support my monthly Whole Foods run. Conventional multi's didn't seem to have enough unless I doubled the dose and put myself at risk of OD'ing on iron. For some reason, I found myself in the prenatal pills aisle and ultimately bought Rainbow Light Complete Prenatal pills with digestive support... it had superb amounts of b-vitamins, iodine, and all the other crud I heard raves about (there are several on the same shelf, just go with whatever one has the lowest iron and the highest b-vitamins in the price range you need). 4 days into taking the pills I was able to wake up without effort, work a complete work day, feel energized enough to walk dog, go to the gym, and all those other things normal people have energy for. Keep in mind, I didn't check with my doctor first... so it's basically my own personal bout as a guinea pig. I am also a huge proponent for the whole Eat to Live plan, but it's a little extreme (heavy veg, no/limited meat/fish/egg, no dairy, 1 cup whole grain).

I hope you find your magical fix-all :-)!! **Positive vibes to you girlfriend!***
  • sharper43
    sharper43 Posts: 109
    Options
    Thanks! I'll definitely look into the prenatal aisle and see what I can find. I do have some B-complex vitamins that I take in addition to a multi. Though, I really am not sure if it's enough. I really don't know how much of it i would need. I looked around on the internet and found a list of stuff to look for in adrenal fatigue supplements, but it's such a long list. I have my doubts there will be one out there that will have all of them and if it does, this might be why they are so damn expensive!

Here's the list I found:
    adrenal glandulars / adrenal cortical extracts
    B-complex vitamins
    Cordycepts (chinese mushroom)
    DHEA (7-keto DHEA)
    Essential fatty acids
    L-Theanine (found in green tea, relaxer)
    Licorice (Glycyrrhiza - blocks the breakdown of hydrocortisone in liver)
    Magnesium (citrate - cellular energy)
    Pantothenic Acid (vitamin B5 - activates the adrenals)
    Pregnenolone (supports basic adrenal function)
    Rhodiola rosea (decreases stress on mental performance)
    Siberian Ginseng (supports and rejuvenates adrenal function and metabolism)
    Trace Minerals (zinc, manganese, selenium, chromium, molybdenum, copper, iodine)
    Vitamin C
    Vitamin E with mixed tocopherols
    Phosphatidylserine (slows the release of cortisol in response to stress)
    Melatonin (induce sleep)
  • sharper43
    Options
    bumping for a new day. would like to hear what some others have to say.
  • cheangela
    cheangela Posts: 173
    Options
    You have Central Market, no? Check the tinctures aisle (squeezy bottles full of liquid supplements). They have a cocktail there that has most of that stuff in it.
  • sharper43
    Options
    You have Central Market, no? Check the tinctures aisle (squeezy bottles full of liquid supplements). They have a cocktail there that has most of that stuff in it.

Oh yeah?! I have a Central Market a couple blocks down the road. I'll check that out this evening. Thanks!
  • Rocco1129
    Rocco1129 Posts: 3
    Options
    Hey Sharper I know it's been 2 years. But I would look into a supp called ADHS by Biotics. And also there Multi by them as well. If things are really bad add a supp called drenamin(1 a day) by standard process.
  • Rocco1129
    Options
    p.s. Just the 1st two are necessary. And a cream called adrenacalm when your adrenals are to revved up. Anyway hope all is well
  • Rocco1129
    Options
    I suffered really bad for a couple years. Thank God my holistic doctor got me on the right stuff. Regular doctors thought I was just a nut. Tried to fix me a few times. Long story ...