Anybody have spaghetti and pizza sauce recipes

Options
ShrinkinMel
ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
I mean from fresh tomatoes. Also tips on prep. I'd like to cut out the jars of spaghetti sauce and cans of tomatoes more. Currently the only canned foods I buy are tomatoes and beans for quick fix days(or both to make chili.

I want to start making my own pizzas again because Totinos are cheap but kill my sodium levels big time. Its just hard to pass up the "cheap" pizza nights we generally only have 2-3 a month.

Replies

• Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the canned tomato part. I buy canned tomatoes. However...I use low carb whole wheat tortillas. I brush them with olive oil seasoned with garlic and Italian seasoning. Then I brown them in the oven until they are golden brown and crispy. Then I brown ground turkey with minced garlic and other Italian herbs. I add diced tomatoes and tomato puree. I don't measure my spices I put in. I just start putting a shake here and a shake there...until it tastes like I want it. I also use Mrs. Dash tomato & basil seasoning (no sodium). My secret...I add 1 cup of low sodium V8. It sneaks in vegetables and gives me a good dose of potassium. I'm sorry this isn't totally from scratch! Just thought I would share it...I can't sleep!
  • jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Well, I've made tomato sauce from fresh tomatoes, but unless you want to spend your whole day in the kitchen I don't know how you'd start from tomatoes and have pizza sauce for one pizza within a reasonable amount of time. I use canned tomato sauce -- either home-canned, or the no-salt-added canned sauce from the store. For pizza sauce, I use:

8 oz no-salt-added tomato sauce
    1/2 T to 1 T sugar, to taste
    pinch onion powder (or if you prefer measurements, 1/8 tsp)
    pinch garlic powder (or if you prefer measurements, 1/8 tsp)
    1/4 tsp dried basil
    1/4 tsp dried oregano

Mix and heat. Makes more than enough sauce for one 12-inch pizza.
  • lukimakamai
    lukimakamai Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Well this isn't an answer to how to make homemade spaghetti sauce, but a good healthier pizza option...
    My husband and I love making tortilla pizzas. Yes, flour totiallas make the perfect low carb, thin pizza crust. I make a mini pizza topping bar with chicken, cooked mushrooms, onions, olives and other items with are wanting. Put about two tablesppons of spaghetti sause on the tortilla (Or BBQ Sauce Or pesto sauce), cheese and the toppings you want. Pop the mini pizzas in the oven at 375 for about 10 minute. SO yummy and you get to make it anyway you want.
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I will try some of the tomato sauce no salt option. I loved our homemade pizzas just with the cost of every part it raises up more and more to where you can't justify the cost over cheaper options. I like my spaghetti sauce chunky sorta so I usually use a jar of ragu plus one can of no salt added tomatoes.

I'll eventually go gluten free but for the same "cost" reason I haven't completely though I do alternate around regular wheat spaghetti noodles and quinoa or brown rice noodles. My daughter bloats out when she has too much wheat and always complains of tummy aches after eating spaghetti or mac and cheese.
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    Hi, I make my own spaghetti sauce and either use the ground turkey in the sauce or use it to make meatballs with, but here goes:

In a dutch oven, brown 1 package of Ground turkey along with one large chopped onion, red pepper, and sliced or chopped mushrooms.
    Add maybe 4 or more cloves of garlic chopped up or pressed.
    Add maybe 1 cup of red wine and let that absorb/boil away.
    Move the meat and veggies to the sides of the pan leaving a little spot of the pan showing and add maybe 6 anchoviy fillets and chop them to pieces with your spatula.
    Add maybe a couple of tablespoons of tomato paste on top of that and mash it down and then start stirring the meat mixture together.
    Add maybe a good tablespoon of fennel seed, a good palm ful of Italian seasoning to the mix and mix it up.
    Add a can of Trader Joe's No Salt Added whole tomatoes (large can) and squish the tomatoes through your hands as you ad them to the pot.
    Add a 12 oz can of Tomato Sauce and mix it up.
    Add a drizzle of balsamic vinegar for sweetness - maybe 1 Tablespoon or so.

Let it all just simmer away. The anchovies add the salt. Adjust your seasonings, add some red pepper flakes if you like. It is surprising that the vinegar adds the sweetness without a vinegar taste. This makes a pretty big pot. I havent' figured out how many it serves yet, but I'd say 8 servings or the calories per serving.

For Meatballs
    1 package of ground turkey,
    Add maybe 1 slice of bread (one good handful of fresh breadcrumbs) for breadcrumbs, ground in a food processor
    a couple cloves of garlic, minced
    maybe 1/2 cup of chopped parsley
    maybe 1/2 cup of grated parmesan cheese
    1 egg
    some ground pepper and salt to taste if you want it, but the parmesan cheese will add some saltiness as will the spaghetti sauce.

Shape these into balls. You can either bake them on parchment paper in the oven at 350 until they are brown. Not sure how long they take, maybe 20 minutes or so? Or the easier way is to drop them directly into the spaghetti sauce, but handle them gently if you do that as they will break up easily. Let them sit in the hot sauce on the stove, cooking for a couple of minutes before you try to maneuver them around the pot to make room for more. I think I usually make meatballs and leave the meat out of the sauce and then just drop some of the meat into the sauce that didnt' get made into meatballs. Makes a whole sheet pan of ping pong ball sized meatballs.
  • joaniegray
    joaniegray Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    This is one I got from a Rachel Ray show - it does have soy sauce and sherry which might be a problem for some but I find it quite tasty and probably nutritious - I don't know the calorie count. I use ww spaghetti or spaghettini. No more than 3/4 cup of pasta.

Spanish Pasta
    Boil pasta and drain, enough for one or 2 people

1 T. Olive oil
    1 T. soya sauce
    1 or 2 tomatoes
    2 green onions
    garlic
    salt and pepper
    tabasco
    almonds
    ½ cup dry sherry

*nuts and basil, see notes.

Drain pasta and then add to wok or fry pan. Add soya sauce, sherry, olive oil and sprinkly liberally with hot sauce.
    *Once on plate, add nuts (pinenuts or chopped almonds) and fresh basil. The nuts make it less mushy
  • jenbusick
    jenbusick Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I will try some of the tomato sauce no salt option. I loved our homemade pizzas just with the cost of every part it raises up more and more to where you can't justify the cost over cheaper options.

Yeah, lots of things are like that. My fresh pizzas surely cost a fortune over pre-made options -- I like them with fresh sliced mushrooms, chopped bell peppers in as many colors as I can buy, sliced olives and diced tomatoes. It has to be more than the $3-4 I'd spend on a premade pie. But soooooooooooo sooooooooooooo goooooooooood!
  • MadeToCraveHIM
    MadeToCraveHIM Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I was looking for the same thing last week and found this site. I hope it helps! http://www.lowsodiumcooking.com/free/SpaghettiSauce2.htm
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Are you growing your own tomatoes? If so you need to learn how to make tomato sauce it's not hard do quick goggle search. From there you can make whatever you want just the same as if you used store bought tomato sauce.
  • Erica9903
    Erica9903 Posts: 156
    Options
    I make my own spaghetti sauce as follows:

1 pound extra lean ground beef or tuekey
    2 cand diced totatoes, no salt added
    1 small can tomato paste, no salt added
    1 small can tomato sauce, no salt added
    1 can sliced mushrooms, no salt added
    1 cup fat free low sodium beef broth
    2 Tbsp dried parsley
    1 tsp dried basil
    1 tsp ground oregano
    garlic powder to taste (or you can use fresh, my kids don't like it)
    cayenne pepper to taste
    salt and pepper to taste

Brown meat and drain if necessary. Add meat and remaining ingredients to slow cooker and cook on low 8ish hours or you can simmer on the stove. I use the slow cooker so it's ready when I get home from work. I also double the recipe and freeze it.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    From the best website ever of photos and WW pts calculated for you (but I haven't tested this particular recipe). Just use your own tomatoes rather than canned.

Quick Marinara Sauce
    Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
    Servings: 6 • Serving Size: 1/2 cup • Old Points: 1 pt • Points+: 1 pt
    Calories: 51.5 • Fat: 0.8 • Carbs: 9.0 g • Fiber: 1.1 • Protein: 0.1 g

1 tsp olive oil
    2 cloves garlic, smashed
    28 oz cans crushed tomatoes (I like Tuttorosso)
    1 small bay leaf

1 tsp oregano
    2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
    salt and fresh pepper to taste

Preheat oven to 425°.

In a medium pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and saute until golden, being careful not to burn. Add crushed tomatoes, salt, pepper, oregano, basil and bay leaf. Stir and reduce heat to low. Cover and let simmer about 20 minutes.

In a small bowl, beat egg whites and season with salt and pepper. In a ziplock bag, place breadcrumbs, garlic powder and cheese and shake well. Spray cookie sheet with cooking spray and set aside.

Dip zucchini sticks into eggs then into bread crumb and cheese mixture, a few at a time and shake to coat. Place the breaded zucchini in a single layer and spray more cooking spray on top. Bake at 425° for about 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve with 1/2 cup marinara sauce for dipping.
  • MOMvsFOOD
    MOMvsFOOD Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I do also make salsa in the summer with fresh tomatoes and can it, but I dont have an exact recipe down.

This is what I do with the fresh tomatoes:

1. Wash and destem
    2. Submerge in boiling water for 3-5 minutes until skins loosen
    3. Remove and submerge in ice water for 3-5 minutes
    4. Pull skins (they almost just fall off)
    5. Squeeze the seeds over junk bowl with the skins

Then I use the good tomato "meat" and compost the rest

Hope its helpful!