I don't like exercise

Options
and I feel really guilty about it!

I've been on here for nearly 2 months now trying to change my life. When I first started I exercised every day but slowly it's pettered off to about 2 times a week when i can force myself. I read a lot of people on here saying "wow one of the things that's changed is I now love to exercise" & I think- why can't that be me? I only do it when i can force myself to and afterwards I don't feel like I've had loads of happy hormones released or particularly good with myself.

I've tried work out DVDs, walking, wii fit/wii games, dance games. I don't have time/money to go to the gym or any classes such as zumba etc.

Anyone else feel this way? I want to lose weight & I want to WANT to exercise but it's just not happening for me :sad:

Replies

• bunnysone
    bunnysone Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    i wish you lived nearby - I'd love to go for an easy walk with you (which is exercise by the way!!) and show you some different things that you can do and see what you like!
    Find something that you enjoy. FORGET that it's exercise. If you like dancing - go and dance. If you like swimming go and swim.
    You probably dont like "exercise" because you dont want the chore of having to do it, but you can get so much activity just doing things you like!
    What kind of activities do you like hannahcakes?
  • Wightvixen
    Wightvixen Posts: 117
    Options
    Me too. I keep hearing about how exercise is supposed to be addictive, and I've been sticking with it 6 times a week since new year, but still waiting for the addiction to kick in :frown:

It would be so NICE if it didn't feel like such a chore every day!
  • rferchow
    rferchow Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You just need to find something you like. Once you find that one thing you enjoy it will be OK, just try out a few different things
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    As much as I'd like to say you'll figure it out, you might just be one of those people who hates to work out forever.

I thought I was, too. Turns out, I just had to find my sweet-spot. I ride my bike for an hour at about 9mph and burn around 400 cals. That will change with time, but, to be totally honest, I'd rather be doing just about anything else - or not doing anything at all, really. But It's one hour of my day that allows me an extra 400 calories in food. 1200 is NOT a lot to work with so the advantages outweigh the inconveniences and my desire to just stay home instead.

Trudge through!
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Write your self a programme, Its the only thing that got me started.
    Plan the days you're going to exercise and what you're going to do that day. That way you cant back out, and put it on a sheet that you can cross off. Do it for a month in advance.
  • oEmmyo
    oEmmyo Posts: 21
    Options
    I'm not the type of person who goes to the gym and works out for an hour or so. I would rather do something less..intense...so I started walking my dogs more often. Just 30 mins of walking burns 250+ calories. I do it when I get home from work. I usually walk to the mailbox down the street, and then aim to walk for 30 mins. Maybe consider just walking at first.
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Did you like the dancing games?

The reason I ask, is because after going to my first Zumba class - I am now hooked..! But I can't really go to the classes regularly, as I don't always have a babysitter - so I bought the Wii Zumba Fitness game (I believe it's also available on PS3 & xbox).

The game is great - it will have you sweating within the 1st 5 minutes - and a class is only about 20 - 25 minutes long including warm up & cool down.

Like others have said, you just need to find something YOU enjoy.... and then you will be motivated to do it....
  • hannahncakes
    Options
    I don't to be honest. I'm so uncoordinated I find it really frustrating when I can't keep up with what they are doing & I can't just think of it being fun & what not I want to be able to do it all correctly or I get really mad :laugh:
  • fimm
    fimm Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Can you ride a bicycle? I mean both are you able to, and, are there places that you can do it and enjoy it? Could you commute to work by bike?
    Walking is good too, so long as it is nice and brisk.
  • ouryear002
    ouryear002 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I an't say that I enjoy exercise all that much, but I do enjoy feeling like I am doing something for my health. What has been helping me to keep it up is that my slightly chubby 12 year old son has started doing the DVD with me. I want him to be healthy, so I do it and act all happy to encourage him. Maybe there is someone you can workout with that you can motivate, which will motivate you in turn. And you can always complain together, which is a bonus!
  • ShonzG
    ShonzG Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I read a lot of people on here saying "wow one of the things that's changed is I now love to exercise" & I think- why can't that be me? I only do it when i can force myself to and afterwards I don't feel like I've had loads of happy hormones released or particularly good with myself.

I hear you! I'm not that much into exercise either, but I'm trying.... I'm hoping that eventually the endorphins will catch up with me....
  • thektturner
    thektturner Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I was getting really bored with my workouts until I started doing kickboxing. It's something that I love and always wanted to really do. The videos are a start and they burn more calories than anything else I was doing previously.

Also - you may want to try Pilates or yoga. I thought I wouldn't really care for them at first, but I love them.

There are a bunch of good workouts on Netflix Instant Watch and, if you have Netflix subscription, it won't cost you anything extra.
  • Black_Swan
    Black_Swan Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I used to hate it too.
    But then I lost lots of weight trough proper nutrition and now I look at myself in the mirror and think "ok, it looks fine, but it could look way much better with some exercise!" - so my body kind of motivates me to try it out.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    I had to force myself in the beginning. I was tired and didn't wanna do it but I kept at it. Now I get all stiff and yucky feeling if I don't do it. It also really really helps me with stress relief. I love those endorphins!
  • petithamu
    petithamu Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I have to be honest...I hate it. I don't know why people say they love it because it is freaking hard and it makes me sweat and all sticky and yucky...BUT I do it because I focus on the end result. I always knew I wasn't going to be one of those people that enjoyed working out but I still do it 6 days a week because when I finally fit into that pair of jeans hiding in the back drawer where I haven't seen in the last 18 months, it makes it all worth it. When I'm working out, I keep thinking myself in the jeans and in all the clothes I want to wear and that pushes me. I agree, maybe a program will help because it will hold you accountable. That's what got me started is following a 30 days program because no matter how much I hated it, I just keep saying I have to finish 30 days because I want to accomplish something.
  • MissJennaBelle
    Options
    I really don't know what to suggest to help you with this but just to let you know, I kind of feel the same and I definitely don’t think your alone on this one.

I am not a fan of exercise, I can and sometimes enjoy a light cardio workout... walking, jogging and boxing etc using the Wii Fit Plus and when the weather gets out nice I’d like to do my walking/tiny bit of jogging outside. I don’t enjoy the more intensive exercise, I have a JM 30 Day Shred DVD and find it a struggle to motivate myself to put it on but I know I can’t reap the benefits if I don’t put the hard work in and my bingo wings need toned with a mix of cardio/strength training.

I hit a plateau recently, and I think it was down to lack of regular exercise simply because I used to be full of excuses when getting home from work and wanting to having my tea first then feeling too tired to do anything afterwards. Now I try to work it into my morning routine and do a little but consistent amount Monday-Friday and if I can motivate myself I may/may not do a little at the weekends. I am amazed I have stuck it out for a week so far and that it is actually working for me but doing it in the morning means I’m getting it out of the way then I can enjoy my day without the “Oh I am dreading the exercise I have to do when I get home from work” feeling. The only thing that get me up and out of bed in the morning to do this short amount of exercise (when all I really want to do is hit the ‘snooze’ button) is thinking about the benefits... it means I will have worked some muscle and may be on my way to toning up my body, I have more calories to eat that day (mmm yeah!) and I am losing weight and cms (baby steps) again because I am getting regular activity in... It’s not a lot and not as intensive as most people’s workouts on here but for me it’s something and I don’t care as long as I’m moving.

I really hope you can find something that will work for you! Hopefully with people’s suggestions via this post you can get something out of it that will help you.

Good Luck xxx
  • MooseWizard
    MooseWizard Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Write your self a programme, Its the only thing that got me started.
    Plan the days you're going to exercise and what you're going to do that day. That way you cant back out, and put it on a sheet that you can cross off. Do it for a month in advance.

I had trouble sticking to the gym in the past. This time around, I am following the Couch to 5K program, and so I have a goal each time I go to the gym--it has really made a difference for me as not only do I feel challenged to go, but feel great when I meet my goal.
  • wispykrispy
    wispykrispy Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm guilty of it too! I've been "trying" to lose weight since October and I only started exercising for real last week. It does get easier once I'm into it but I still can't say i LIKE it. I watch TV shows on my computer (like Teen Mom and ABC shows) while on the elliptical and that helps. I told myself if I can't watch TV online anymore unless I'm on the elliptical.
  • pkpzp228
    pkpzp228 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    One of things that It took me awhile to understand about my enjoyment of exercise was that there are two distinct ways that I love or hate exercise.

1) The activity - boredom
    2) The intensity - pain

For the first, many people have already mentioned that you need to find an activity that you enjoy. For me, I've found that unless I was already super committed and goal oriented (i.e don't already have motivational issues) a home workout was a no go. I just wasn't going to enjoy doing anything in front of the television in my living room. I had to get out. Understandably a gym membership may not always be economically possible but that was exactly what I needed, the obligation to use something I was paying for. Alternatively I found that taking a hobby like approach to a particular activity always leads me to deeper enjoyment. For example, I started road biking so I started to watch the tour de-france, I like to hike so I got involved with 14ers.com (sorry I'm a mountain snob), etc.

If it's matter of the second, you just have to be honest with yourself. Exercise hurts and it's hard, that's the point and that will never change. What will change though is how you perceive those feeling. In the beginning you'll hate it and you'll think this sucks why would anyone in their right mind want to put themselves through this, especially when it feels so much better to be a lazy glutton. If you can be honest with yourself about the pain and except it, you'll begin to adjust to it. Your body will begin to transform along with you attitude and you begin to see results. You mind will rewire those associations and your body will recognize that the deeper the intensity the greater the gain.
  • elmaly
    elmaly Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Fake it to you make it. Or something like that.

Everytime you tell yourself you don't like it, you are really telling yourself, you don't want to change. So don't be surprized when you fall off the wagon and back onto the couch. "I hate exercise" is the same as saying "I am punishing myself by doing something I don't want to do." We will all only take so much punishment.

Rather than focusing on the "don't like" and the "exercise" , how about focusing on the part you like? Maybe you like that you are the only one that can get yourself to get off your butt and out there in the dreaded world of sweat and pain and ripped muscles. Or maybe you like telling your mom you walked/ran/biked XX miles this week and that amazes her. Or maybe you like that proving to yourself that you can to it. Or maybe you like wearing the cutest exercise outfits. Whatever.