Big 100 Colossal Bar 400cal bar after a workout?

Options
Hi guys. Im following a diet..gettin in about 60 grams of fat. around 230 of carbs and 230 of protein with an intake of 2200 cals a day trying to cut some weight and bodyfat for the summer..getting my carbs basically from brown rice wheat bread and fruits and veggies..protein from shakes almonds eggs and chicken breasts and fats basically from the chicken eggs and almonds. I just wondering if I made a wise choice of eating a 400 cal colossal bar after my workout. cals is not a problem because i do a lot of cardio but it basically has 10gram of fat 47grams of carbs which 28 is sugar and 31 grams of protein. just worried about the sugar intake. or is it fine since ur body needs it after the workout.? any advice would be greatly appreciated

Replies

• laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    That's a good question. You basically want a 4:1 carb to protein ratio after a workout and that does seem like a lot of sugar.
    31 grams is the equivalent to 10 tsp of table sugar if I remember the formula correctly.
    Probably not a problem because you have some replenishing going on.
    It's not what I'd eat after every workout though. I'd find something cleaner.
    Hope this helps.
  • EdwardCPT
    EdwardCPT Posts: 37
    Options
    yeah im not a big fan of protein bars since the high sugar and fat. but did find a great deal 60 cents a bar. i rather just take a protein shake and have some veggies to go along with it. but yeah probably just a once in a while thing..just wanted to give it a taste..probably keep them for a emergency post workout meal if im on the go
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    60 cents for a big colossal...that's a deal. The are usually in the $3 range around here.

I like Optimum Nutrition Products. Good Clean Stuff.
  • EdwardCPT
    Options
    yeah they go for around 3 bucks..but they are 75% off at my local cvs..so a box of 4 is like 2.49 =) yeah I used to take O.N. protein.easy to blend with water, good taste, and not so bad on the price
  • Bearface115
    Bearface115 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    My personally, i HATE those bars! i couldnt even try to force it down, but hey some people like it! I would go with another one, but that just my Once and a Blue Moon opinion, Sorry if i was negative with the colossals and your question :embarassed: No Hard feelings'?:flowerforyou: :smooched:
  • mursey
    mursey Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I think it's better not to use bars at all if you can. There is always going to be something in there you wouldn't have added to your own food. I gave them all up because they have too many sugars and carbs for me, now if I need portable food I carry jerky (the more organic/less added ingredients, the better). I also have been known to carry cheese or no-sugar-added dried fruit but the fruit is still more sugars than I want in certain stages of my diet, the cheese some of you may be against for the fat content .. I personally don't care about fat since I do a low carb diet.

I guess it all depends if you are close to your ideal weight, just maintaining your weight, or still trying to lose a lot. In general, if you can, skip the bars. Even with protein powder, I am careful which one I pick, but the bars .. I guess it's hard to make a bar without a lot of ingredients that are high in sugars or carbs you probably don't want at the end of your day.
  • EdwardCPT
    Options
    The bar was actually good. but then again I always think of a protein bar as an candy bar packed with protein. so yeah I think its best to stay away. I'll try to eat it when I have no other choice. Im on a high protein moderate fat/carbs diet. I usually have almonds or string cheese as snacks. I tried a really low carb diet before. I just felt weak and hungry all the time. Im a heavy lifter and do tons of cardio..so I guess I need the carbs..
  • EdwardCPT
    Options
    So yeah i'll keep the bars on reserve. thanks guys for the feedback