Low Sodium and Low Sugar Solutions

Options
I need some help. I seem to be going over on sugar and sodium everyday! Yesterday I thought I was doing very well and then with dinner I had a salad and I pur some fat Free dressing on it which put me over on sodium ughhh. I have to have sugar in my coffee as I can't drink it unsweetened and I try to stay away from artiificial sweeteners as much as possible because I am breastfeeding. The problem is I like to eat. Does anybody have some suggestions for low sodium and low sugar foods... snacks and meals. Last night I made the Hungry Girl Fiber One chiken strips. We all hated tem lol I was sooo depressed! Anyway suggestions would be helpful... Thanks!

Replies

• mpdes
    mpdes Posts: 40
    Options
    Hello!
    Well I am not an expert, but read a lot on nutrition and what I could say on low sodium is that now a lot of products offers a 25% less sodium option. HOWEVER, you still have to read the labels, some only add sugar or fat for compensation. A trick I have is stay away (as much as you can) from everything frozen such as frozen meals and canned. Unevitably, you will find more sodium in processed food and in restaurants. Look at the label when you go do your groceries. The sodium of a product should not be too far from 11%. Actually that would be the maximum you should go for, but living in a processed food industry, it's hard, I just try to stay around those numbers!
    Hope this helps!
  • mmellor
    mmellor Posts: 146
    Options
    You may want to look at regular salad dressings etc. because food companies increase their sugars/sodium in order to reduce the fat, so look at whether or not you can afford the few extra calories in order to reduce the sugar intake - as far as sodium the only way to avoid that is to eat as clean as possible - no processed foods, try making your own chicken fingers, etc. A natural sweetener you could try is Stevia, you may have some success with that for your coffee. Good Luck!
  • cmmull67
    cmmull67 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Look at your diary, and discount the sugars that are naturally occurring (i.e. fruits and veggies in natural state). There is no way to eat healthy and stay under your sugars otherwise, IMO. Almost all fruits and veggies have some natural sucrose or fructose.

For example, today, my sugar will be around 86, however 50+ of those are from raw/steamed veggies, untreated or unsweetened fruits like bananas and strawberries, etc. I discount those and that leaves me with around 36 processed sugars.

Hope that helps on the sugar side.