Self-Compassion

Options
an article from the New York Times:
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/02/28/go-easy-on-yourself-a-new-wave-of-research-urges/?src=me&ref=homepage

a couple copied paragraphs:
“Self-compassion is the missing ingredient in every diet and weight-loss plan,” said Jean Fain, a psychotherapist and teaching associate at Harvard Medical School who wrote the new book “The Self-Compassion Diet” (Sounds True publishing). “Most plans revolve around self-discipline, deprivation and neglect.”

Dr. Neff says that the field is still new and that she is just starting a controlled study to determine whether teaching self-compassion actually leads to lower stress, depression and anxiety and more happiness and life satisfaction.

“The problem is that it’s hard to unlearn habits of a lifetime,” she said. “People have to actively and consciously develop the habit of self-compassion.”

Just in case it hadn't occurred to some of us: you've gotta love yourself to make positive changes that work!

GIVE YOURSELF A HUG TODAY!!!!!
happy eating everyone,
JoJo

Replies

• RoniDoll
    RoniDoll Posts: 262
    Options
    Thank you for posting this! I really needed this today :]
  • jojoworks
    jojoworks Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    you're so welcome.

I think we forget about being kind to ourselves. It takes practice not to beat yourself up about stuff. I also think when you're just starting out trying to do the weight loss dance its important to build self-compassion in to your program.

I once had a self-hypnosis self-esteem building CD that had me visualize my self as a small and frightened child who needed love and comforting. It left a very strong impression on me that I need to continually give that love and comfort to myself.

good luck!
    JoJo