Eating before or after excercise?

Options
Hi

What's best ....eating before or after excersing? I'm confused!

Thanks

Replies

• kmeekhof
    kmeekhof Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Hi

What's best ....eating before or after excersing? I'm confused!

Thanks
    a little before (though not too close to your workout) for energy and a little after (within 30 min) for recovery
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    depends on what type of workout you are doing. if you are lifting to bulk muscles its best to eat after to promote muscle repair.
    for cardio, they say to eat 2-3 hrs before so help regulate blood sugar levels and give the body the chance to process the carbs your body will need for energy.
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    It depends on the exercises you do, and the amount you plan on doing. Some people swear by fasted cardio, but if you do too much, it will affect your workout, and you won't have the energy to finish. Then they say wait an hour or two for the full effect of fat loss.

For weights, and strength training, eat about 30 minutes to an hour before, then immediately after a workout. Your body needs to have the protein, and carbs to refuel itself, to repair the muscle.
  • Dafrog
    Dafrog Posts: 353
    Options
    i personally try not to go to the gym within 90 mins of a meal. if you are doing a lot of weight lifting you need to make sure you eat good source of protein afterwards. a lot of the guys at my gym drink protien shakes. as fpr me personally i bring an apple with me to eat on the drive home most days.
  • MaryDreamer
    MaryDreamer Posts: 439
    Options
    I don't eat before if it's an at home 5 a.m. workout I eat afterwards. But I do eat before I go to the gym at noon because if I don't I won't have the energy to do the elliptical lol so I eat at 11 or 11:30.
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I do my major excersize in the morning, so I eat afterwards.
  • lucysmommy
    lucysmommy Posts: 460
    Options
    same as everyone else

depends when i am working out..... like tonight i have zumba at 6... so i will eat after but tomorrow i will go to the gym about 10am and will eat 2hrs before

x
  • pixxie11
    pixxie11 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, really appreciate your replies. I'll eat before my aerobics class then (but not too much!) :-)