gaining quickly, numbers don't add up...why???

Options
Jan. 17th, 2011, I weighed 154 pounds. There were some traumatic events happening that triggered me to stress eat. I counted my calories and have just added them up...where as I should have gained a total of 3.06 pounds, I gained 9-10 pounds! Why? The way I did my math was by multiplying 154 X 12 calories and everyday I went over 1848 calories, I added together and divided by 3500. Seemed liked a fair and easy way to calculate.

Replies

• Kminor67
    Kminor67 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Were those foods salty? A lot of it could be water weight due to high sodium intake.
  • funnygirl0940
    Options
    no, we don't eat processed food & eat low sodium, besides that, i drink a tea & 10 glasses of water a day that would rid bloat.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    if only the human body were as predictable as that. there's far more factors at play than just the calculation you did. case in point, stress triggers cortisol release in the kidneys, cortisol triggers fat storage and suppresses insulin, insulin is what pulls glucose from the blood to use as energy, and thus more fat storage. Cortisol also has been shown to suppress testosterone and Growth hormone production, which also aid in metabolic rates. That's just one tiny aspect of the very complex system that is your body, we can't know exactly why we gain or lose what we do, all we can do is control, to the best of our abilities, what we put in them and how much we burn.
  • funnygirl0940
    Options
    wow, great answer SHB! I hope it will come off just as quickly as I put it on but perhaps this is another reason why losing has been more difficult over the months. I try to remain calm but where I live, there are cartel wars and it's rather unnerving at times :-/
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    wow, great answer SHB! I hope it will come off just as quickly as I put it on but perhaps this is another reason why losing has been more difficult over the months. I try to remain calm but where I live, there are cartel wars and it's rather unnerving at times :-/

ugh. that sucks! I'd be stressed too. Yoga's great for that by the way. Or meditation. I'm not usually into meditation for clients, but I do it myself, and for very stressed people, 15 minutes of quiet time can be the difference between weight loss and weight gain!
  • funnygirl0940
    Options
    haha, well, i'm not into yoga, I'd rather pray, trust in God my Creator & meditate on His Word day and night though! That's where I find the peace that surpasses all understanding during this time but I DO like the stretching part of yoga. I went to a pilates class once and walked out, lol however, I do like & have the pilate bands & stretching is great...just not the talk about all the energy weird stuff I'm not into ;o) .
  • susioryan
    susioryan Posts: 180
    Options
    Lori,
    have you had your thyroid checked?
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    haha, well, i'm not into yoga, I'd rather pray, trust in God my Creator & meditate on His Word day and night though! That's where I find the peace that surpasses all understanding during this time but I DO like the stretching part of yoga. I went to a pilates class once and walked out, lol however, I do like & have the pilate bands & stretching is great...just not the talk about all the energy weird stuff I'm not into ;o) .

I think you misunderstand. I don't suggest yoga or meditation in any sort of a spiritual or religious sense. I state them strictly because yoga has been medically proven to reduce stress hormones in people via easing constricted muscles, stretching tight ligaments, and by lowering blood pressure. And meditation can be on anything you like, Heck, I meditate on an old pond that I lived near as a child, it was so peaceful. I don't pretend to receive any spiritual connection from this stuff, but allowing the body and mind to drift and release worry is a proven way to reduce stress, and lower hormone levels, blood pressure, heart rate...etc. very beneficial, not to be overlooked for stabilizing your metabolic rate.
  • funnygirl0940
    Options
    i've had a problem w/low blood pressure...really, other than the underlying fact that there's cartel activity not too far from me, I really, really do live a low stress life..I live in Mexico. But it really did make me think this morning...perhaps I need more time to sit & reflect on His word, write out my thoughts in prayer etc...made me think, how am I responding and how does it effect others? I was just trying to show that I'm human and it's natural. Holding my peace can be a challenge for me, which overall, I feel peaceful. Tomorrow I have great hopes of meeting with an endocrinologist. My husband has hopes that she'll be telling me to go to bed earlier and get 9 hours of sleep, hehe ok, we'll see. We eat very well. I'm on here for calorie tracking to keep me in a healthy range. It's easy to eat too much of the good food too :o)
  • funnygirl0940
    Options
    This really got off topic. I'd sure like to read about othe peri menapausal or menapausal women that have gone though this and what has helped them please.