Premenopause? Word to me--womens talk!

Options
Ok, my fellow older women!

I'm 45 and think I'm premenopausal. For the last several months, my TOMs have been slightly erratic and unusually short--3-4 days whereas they used to be 5-7. Now this month, I'm a day late. Now, I know a day late isn't that "big" a deal but I'm NEVER late. I'm almost always a couple days earlier or right on time. Even the last few months when I've been erratic, I've never been late. I've got some bloat (about 1.5 pounds of it! :angry: ) but nothing happening yet!

That's about the only symptom I'm having though except for occasionally having trouble sleeping.

I started my TOM at an early age--11--so always hoped that menopause might come early as a payback kind of thing :tongue: My mom went through it in her early 40's and my sisters, too, but they had kids--doesn't that make you go through menopause earlier? Because I have no children.

See, I'm not sure if it's premenopause or just my drastic lifestyle change I've had in the past 3 months since joining MFP.

Anyone that has gone through this have any insights? Is there some 'test" the doc can do to verify? Are there things that I should be doing to verify or to be aware of?

Oh, and I know I'm not preggy either--just in case someone is thinking of asking that! :happy:

Edit--dang! I hate that we can't edit titles! I meant to say "word to men" not word to me! :grumble:

Replies

• shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Ok, my fellow older women!

I'm 45 and think I'm premenopausal. For the last several months, my TOMs have been slightly erratic and unusually short--3-4 days whereas they used to be 5-7. Now this month, I'm a day late. Now, I know a day late isn't that "big" a deal but I'm NEVER late. I'm almost always a couple days earlier or right on time. Even the last few months when I've been erratic, I've never been late. I've got some bloat (about 1.5 pounds of it! :angry: ) but nothing happening yet!

That's about the only symptom I'm having though except for occasionally having trouble sleeping.

I started my TOM at an early age--11--so always hoped that menopause might come early as a payback kind of thing :tongue: My mom went through it in her early 40's and my sisters, too, but they had kids--doesn't that make you go through menopause earlier? Because I have no children.

See, I'm not sure if it's premenopause or just my drastic lifestyle change I've had in the past 3 months since joining MFP.

Anyone that has gone through this have any insights? Is there some 'test" the doc can do to verify? Are there things that I should be doing to verify or to be aware of?

Oh, and I know I'm not preggy either--just in case someone is thinking of asking that! :happy:

Edit--dang! I hate that we can't edit titles! I meant to say "word to men" not word to me! :grumble:
  • Katy009
    Katy009 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I cannot help much, but I have a friend who is around the same age as you and she started early mp at about age 38 or 39 and she, too, has never had kids.

On the other hand, drastic changes in your eating / diet habits CAN affect your TOM. It can make them lighter and or disappear for a while.

I would recommend seeing a doctor to confirm either.

Good luck!
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I started on some of the same issues a few years ago. You can have some menopausal symptoms for years before you actually go into menopause. In fact my GYN told me that some women suffer symptoms for up to 10 years before they actually go through the change. However, I would be willing to bet that most of what you are seeing is the result of the changes your body is going through as you loose weight. I've a number of friends who've experienced similar issues.

Take care,
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Got an appointment with my doc on July 14th for general check-up, so will ask her then and see what she says.

Thanks all!