Healthy sources of protein?

Options
Hi everyone,

I'd like to have more sources of high protein foods, preferably the kind that are easy to add in. Any kind of canned meat is out due to the yuck factor but any other options are great!

Thanks!

Replies

• xstealth12x
    xstealth12x Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Personally, I'm a fan of eggs. I know you said "No" to canned foods, but tins of tuna actually help out quite a bit too, just have to watch the mercury if you consume too much
  • shugamuffin
    shugamuffin Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Low fat cottage cheese. String cheese, certain yogurts, eggs, and...there are these sausage links I've found that have spinach and mozzarella, or jabenero spices that are low cal and high protein. Not bad eating either.
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    lean turkey, great source and makes a very tasty burger, pork loin slow cooked then saved as leftovers for pulled pork sandwhiches or with veggies, beans pretty much all kinds but make your own to reduce sodium. Greek yogurt, etc.
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    fat free cottage cheese?
  • amydcarlson
    amydcarlson Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Tofu picks up the flavor of whatever you are cooking. I bend mine in with smoothies. Tons of protein. Oh, and Greek yogurt is good, and chicken breasts.
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    The last couple weeks, Ive cooked a pork tenderloin, slow cooked, with carrots, and other veggies. Great protein, left overs for easy lunches the next day, and incredibly easy. If you have the time, roasting your own chicken is also very tasty and high in protein.
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Recently I've started adding Morningstar Farms veggie sausage patties to my breakfast. It's 10 grams of protein for only 80 calories and is easy to fix (10 minutes in the toaster oven). You can put it on a whole grain English muffin for your own breakfast sandwich, or cut it up and and wrap it in a tortilla with a scrambled egg for a quick breakfast taco.
  • outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    Options
    Not much of an add in but salmon is a great choice.
  • Griffin90
    Griffin90 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I was about to post this exact topic and thought I would look to see if anyone else had. I hate cottage cheese, so what are some good snacks with a lot of protein?

I have some good protein with meals but I am going to start training for a half marathon and will need more than what I am getting.
  • CurriedGrasshopper
    CurriedGrasshopper Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the awesome ideas everyone. I do enjoy a lot of eggs, primarily for breakfast - I seem to get so much more energy in my early day if I start off with an egg. (home-made healthy version of eggmcmuffin anyone?)

I never would have thought to add tofu to my fruit smoothies - what a great idea! I kind of forget about tofu because generally if I'm going to make a stir-fry or something I throw in chicken breasts or the like, so tofu kind of gets 'snubbed' and forgotten about, but a smoothie sounds totally doable!

I wish I could do tuna - I know it's a great option especially for lunch, but my nose curls up and dies as soon as I get a whiff of that stuff and I've honestly never been able to make myself even try it because of the smell. (Although I eat and enjoy all kinds of fresh/frozen fish!)

Does anyone have ideas to put cottage cheese into? I don't really dig the texture of it by itself and usually only use it in lasagna.
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    fat free plain greek yogurt has 22 grams of protein per serving. I usually add a tsp of flax, some cinammon and a packet of truvia or agave nectar. it is delicious! I also use eggs as well as chicken and tuna, but the yogurt is my favorite!
  • susu5
    susu5 Posts: 122
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas. I need more protein also.:wink: