Anybody willing to describe Zumba?

Options
Is it dance? Is it done at a class in a gym or with a DVD? Is it too intense for someone who is 100 pounds overweight? Thanks.

Replies

• heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Apparently it’s NOTHING like the stupid DVD's. I watched the infomercial recently and told my sister "why the heck are all these people doing stupid salsa dancing to old/bad music? Apparently it’s just the DVD's, the actual classes, music and moves are actually sooooooooo much better. You'll get responses asap.
  • neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Is it dance? Is it done at a class in a gym or with a DVD? Is it too intense for someone who is 100 pounds overweight? Thanks.

I have been to several classes offered by different instructors and I LOVE it.

Yes, it is a dance, but most instructors incorporate other kinds of exercise such as lunges, etc.

It is done at a class (most around my area are done at a gym) with a live instructor- no DVD.

Zumba can be as intense as you make it. I have seen all shapes and sizes at each class, and I don't think it would be too intense for someone who is 100+ lbs overweight.

Hope that helps!
  • jamielr84
    jamielr84 Posts: 545
    Options
    I am 100lbs overweight and I loved going to Zumba classes! They don't have them anymore here, but if they did, I would still be taking them. I have done the dvds too, and they are not near as good as the classes. And yes, it is a dance type of workout.
  • Jellyspider
    Options
    I LOVE ZUMBA! It is latin inspired dancing, sorta like you would line dance, but to awesome music. The dances repeat themselves throughout the song. The more you go, the more you shake it up because you learn the steps. I would go and try it for a few times no matter how much weight you need to lose. You can go at your own pace, and everyone is having so much fun they don't care what you're doing. Try it!! The YMCA offers it here in my town, and the gyms, and colleges.....it's all over.
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Latin dance inspired aerobics.... those of us who did aerobics in the 80s and tripped doing the grapevine get a nostalgic "trip" or two in Zumba.

I love it, honestly, and there are people of varying levels of fitness in my class, from the very large and barely mobile to the amazingly athletic (and then there's me, somewhere in the middle.)
  • ygrad2001
    ygrad2001 Posts: 230
    Options
    I love zumba!! I have only done it in the gym but I have heard that the videos are good and zumba for the wii is really good. Our instructors show us 3 different levels of intesity and you choose what level you are ready for. There is lots of full body movement and there are certain songs that focus on specific areas. Try it! I think you will like it.
  • Jellyspider
    Options
    Oh, and if you like it enough to keep going....get the shoes, they help pivoting and protect your knees.
  • cmbneeley
    cmbneeley Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    it is a blend of dance and toning exercises with a lot of latin dance inspiration. it's best done in a class. i haven't done the DVDs, but i've done it with the zumba fitness game for the wii (lots of fun, but the class is better). i started at about 90 lbs away from my goal, and i can do it. some of the moves i haven't quite gotten down yet, but as i keep going, i'm getting better. adn i burn a TON of calories doing it according to my HRM. it's so much fun. the music is so energizing!
  • britts09
    britts09 Posts: 16
    Options
    I love Zumba! It is taught at gyms, schools, churches, etc. around here, and I live in TN. The DVD's are mostly just basic fundamentals that are added in the classes. The classes are not boring like the DVD's. It depends on the teacher and all classes vary. I would describe Zumba as a combination of aerobics, latin, hip hop, line dancing and belly dancing. How many calories you burn depends on your body weight, your instructor, and how much you put into the class. Most classes are 60 minutes long. Most people burn 400-1000 calories an hour.
  • Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    You can do both. The DVD teaches some of the basic moves in simple fashion plus you can watch them at your leisure and go back to cover it again if you need extra help.

I started with the DVD's and love the Zumba Live. It's fun and you don't stop moving.

It's a mixture of dances. Merengue, Reggaeton, Cumbia, Salsa, Calypos, Quebradita.

There are basic steps to each dance type but in class the instructor will give different dance routines based on how they like to teach. So each class is different due to each teacher being different.

I go to classes at my community center gym and there is a teacher Saturday mornings that has a background in aerobics and Jazzercise so her Zumba class is more like an aerobics class. Not as much Latin movement.

The class on Thursday night is taught by a dance teacher with a Salsa background so his routines are heavily influenced by the Latin rhythms.

So it's really dependent on where you take the class and who the teacher is. Either way Zumba class fills up FAST at the community center. It's like one BIG dance party and you sweat like crazy.

I love it!
  • miatavixxen
    miatavixxen Posts: 373
    Options
    okay first off i am totally addicted to my zumba class! the teachers make a big difference in how the class feels. i took one at my gym and didn't like it, tried it somewhere else and am now wishing i could do it more often but so far they only offer 3 classes per week. :D it is really all about having fun while you are working out!

Zumba is what i affectionately refer to as aerobics latin style. :D you will incorporate some latin dance (salsa, merangue, etc.) in with other movements. to be a certified zumba instructor they are told at least 90% of the class must be latin based. the music is also mostly upbeat latin with other music mixed in as well. one of the songs my instructor uses is one from the madagascar 2 movie so it's a good blend of music with rhythm and latin inspired movements.

1) you can totally do it. :D
    2) find a zumba instructor that is actually certified - they are trained, excited to teach it, and are constantly getting new music and moves
    3) get into it and enjoy it! it's all about FUN! :D

Hope this was helpful!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I take a class. It's super-high energy aerobic dancing. Think country line dancing, but turbo-powered, with dance music instead of country, and on Red Bull instead of Coors Light. :tongue:
  • sherip22
    sherip22 Posts: 81 Member
    Options

You can look up Zumba on youtube and see what it actually looks like. It is so much fun, I think you should give it a try!
  • Annerea
    Annerea Posts: 104
    Options
    "It's not a work-out it's a party!!!" as my instructor says at the beginning of EVERY class!!
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    I take a class. It's super-high energy aerobic dancing. Think country line dancing, but turbo-powered, with dance music instead of country, and on Red Bull instead of Coors Light. :tongue:

:laugh:
  • bevbeers
    bevbeers Posts: 7
    Options
    It's like dancing and you can go at your own pace but it's a great workout and so much better than a boring treadmill. It's catching on like wildfire here in Pa. Some of my friends are becoming Zumba instructors. Better to go to a class and find one with good music(Spanish). It's fun!
  • tammy200678
    tammy200678 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I have 100 pounds to lose and I do zumba and love it