Gardening and seed exchange

Options
Spring is near and that means time to plant your vegetables! An easy way to get more vegetables in your diet is to grow them. If you have any questions, just ask me, I'll try to help. I love to garden, and really cut down my grocery bills during this season. Also, garden work means more calories burning. Nothing is quite as good as working for your food and then eating it fresh.

Also, if people are interested I would like to start a seed exchage. If you have seeds you want to share, especially heriloom or open pollinated you can list them. If someone wants them, they should send you a self addressed and stamped envelope. GMO's are becoming a problem and many people have special seeds that should be preserved.

If you don't have much garden space, or none at all, lettuce and kales are really easy to grow in pots. Ask me if you have any questions!

Replies

• tammyquinnlmt
    tammyquinnlmt Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions on planting eggplant? We have a garden every year, but I've never done eggplant
  • live2smyle
    live2smyle Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    My husband and I just started our first garden. It is 50x50 lol. Might be a little big for a beginner. I would love to keep an eye on this thread :)
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    GO GARDENS! This is great advice. I love home grown tomatoes and strawberries, they are my favorite. My parents usually also plant onions, corn, green beans, snap peas, carrots, and cucumbers.

OH, and the apple trees! They make apples!

I'm living in an apartment nowadays but I'd love to get one of those aerogardens and plant some spinach leaves.
  • cindaroses
    cindaroses Posts: 117
    Options
    Egg plant likes it warm and fertile. I like to either start them inside or buy starts at the nursery. The only problem I've ever had is that bugs like to eat the leaves. Not much actually bothers the egg plant fruit. I use organic products like neem oil or homemade hot pepper spray to keep the bugs off the leaves.
  • cindaroses
    Options
    My husband and I just started our first garden. It is 50x50 lol. Might be a little big for a beginner. I would love to keep an eye on this thread :)

50 X 50 is a nice size! Just take it easy, you can space plants further apart until you are ready to use the whole space.
  • softsmiles
    Options
    also garlic will keep pests from eating your garden... I use to have a big garden, but apartment living, (up until this year) now I have a small yard, but I think I will still plant my tomatoes in a 5 gal bucket! I have also used window boxes for cucks..
  • cindaroses
    Options
    also garlic will keep pests from eating your garden... I use to have a big garden, but apartment living, (up until this year) now I have a small yard, but I think I will still plant my tomatoes in a 5 gal bucket! I have also used window boxes for cucks..

I put garlic and onions in the pepper spray. I knew someone who use to make garlic oil and spray on his plants so it wouldn't wash away from the rain as easily.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I love gardening. I am getting frustrated though. Bought my hosue three years ago. First year, I had a MASSIVE garden-my tomato plants were as tall as me! The next summer-it was really wet, and my plants drowned. Last year, they did well growth wise but the fruit did not set as much as I would have liked, and my cukes were stunted. My eggplants flowered but again, the fruit did not set, they just bloomed and fell off. The only thing I have had go well every year are hot peppers, and I don't even eat them!

I will definetely be watching this thread because I really enjoy having a garden but I get sooo disappointed when it doesn't do as well as I like.

BTW, I live in western NY so the weather is really unpredictable. One year it's soaking wet...the next year it'll be hot and dry...never can tell....
  • Jazzdaisy
    Jazzdaisy Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I would love to have some heirloom tomatoes, but how do you grow them from seeds?
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    My garden consists of about 5 plants in front of our apartment's patio window :laugh: Maybe when we move later this year we will get a house that I can put a garden out back.
  • Arielnesika
    Arielnesika Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Nice, I'm starting to get the gardening bug this spring too. I have a garden every year although last summer in Oregon was so late and soggy that it was a frustratingly short growing season. We added ducks and chickens to the mix last year so in late summer it's almost a full meal coming out of our yard!
  • time2move
    time2move Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I'm in Zone 5 and need to start my seeds soon. I'm doing tomatoes, multi-colored sweet bell peppers, basil, bush green beans and assorted lettuces this year. I'm sectioning off a small part of my horse pasture and using that. We have 7 acres and thanks to our trees, the only other good place is right in the middle of the backyard :) Which isn't happening. At least this way, I can have the electric fence around it and hopefully keep out the critters.
  • cindaroses
    Options
    I love gardening. I am getting frustrated though. Bought my hosue three years ago. First year, I had a MASSIVE garden-my tomato plants were as tall as me! The next summer-it was really wet, and my plants drowned. Last year, they did well growth wise but the fruit did not set as much as I would have liked, and my cukes were stunted. My eggplants flowered but again, the fruit did not set, they just bloomed and fell off. The only thing I have had go well every year are hot peppers, and I don't even eat them!

I will definetely be watching this thread because I really enjoy having a garden but I get sooo disappointed when it doesn't do as well as I like.

BTW, I live in western NY so the weather is really unpredictable. One year it's soaking wet...the next year it'll be hot and dry...never can tell....

I can understand the frustation. If you put straw down as a mulch for your plants, this will really help the tomatoes out. The weather in my area can be the same way...hot one day, cold the next, too rainy, too dry. So, this year my husband and I are going to try using row covers to help with too little rain or too much, and to also help with the temperature. If fruit isn't setting, sometimes hand pollination can help...or maybe they need some more organic material.
  • cindaroses
    Options
    I would love to have some heirloom tomatoes, but how do you grow them from seeds?

Watching a video would be easier than telling you. Start them 4-6 weeks before average last frost date in your area. Put some potting mix in a small pot and cover the seed just a little bit. As is sprouts and grows cut off the bottom leaves and add more dirt. This makes the roots stronger because the roots grow along the stem. Praxxus and some others on yourtube and good videos that can show you.
  • cindaroses
    Options
    Nice, I'm starting to get the gardening bug this spring too. I have a garden every year although last summer in Oregon was so late and soggy that it was a frustratingly short growing season. We added ducks and chickens to the mix last year so in late summer it's almost a full meal coming out of our yard!

I added chickens too! The eggs are great! What breeds to you have? We have an Amberlink rooster, and 5 hens, golden wyandotte, 2 australorps, rhode island red, and partridge rock. All brown egg layers.
  • cindaroses
    Options
    I'm in Zone 5 and need to start my seeds soon. I'm doing tomatoes, multi-colored sweet bell peppers, basil, bush green beans and assorted lettuces this year. I'm sectioning off a small part of my horse pasture and using that. We have 7 acres and thanks to our trees, the only other good place is right in the middle of the backyard :) Which isn't happening. At least this way, I can have the electric fence around it and hopefully keep out the critters.

I'm in zone 6. You should have some fertile land with those horses making some manure for you. I would love to have more land, but not quite 7 acres.
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    i'm in zone 6b and am willing to help wherever needed

avid independent foodie / urban homesteader here... i run a large comm. garden, a school comm garden and am building another for a senior center this summer.

i forage and am growing a living wall in my apt.
  • cindaroses
    Options
    i'm in zone 6b and am willing to help wherever needed

avid independent foodie / urban homesteader here... i run a large comm. garden, a school comm garden and am building another for a senior center this summer.

i forage and am growing a living wall in my apt.

I want to start school community gardens in my area, but the schools don't seem too interested in it. Have you heard about the recent uproar in Urban Homesteading. The Deveres family wants to trademark the term, urban homesteading, and want recognition when the word is used. If you have a facebook there is a page, Take back urban home-steading that dicusses much of what is going on. It is a shame. Many people looked up to them for their accomplishments and now they are aggraevating many urban homesteaders.
  • cindaroses
    Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70hN5LNyqlo

Here is a video about a youtube seed exhange going on. Under the video on the comments are other people who are offering seeds. But, it would still be nice to get one going to here as well.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    do the bump