Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

potato soup

my boyfriend wants to have potato soup for dinner tonight. i had never heard of it. not even sure if its a real thing. but he says his mom used to make it, but now no one remembers the recipe.

does anyone here know?

Replies

• SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    You are in for a TREAT!!! Potato soup is delicious. You might just have to look around the internet for a recipe with good reviews, but it usually is a creamy soup with potatoes, onion, possibly celery and carrot. YUM!
  • CelesteENelson
    CelesteENelson Posts: 89 Member
    we LOVE it here... you get regular potatoes, peel them chop them up into bite size chunks. boil them with onion when they are soft you add evaporative milk, butter and chopped up ham. salt/pepper to taste and EAT (once warm through). We usually put seasoning salt on ours on a per bowl basis to everyones liking. There are no specifics. Just depends on how many people are eating, how much broth you want, how thick you want it, etc.
  • ChefJenn
    ChefJenn Posts: 350 Member
    I make a awesome 4 cheese potato soup but it is not healthy.
    But if you wanted to try something like this and Im just pulling ideas from my head right now. You would need to tweek it as u make it for flavor.

2-5 pounds baby red potato- dice and boil them , remove from water and add back to a large stock pot. Mash them up and add 2 tbsp butter, 2 cup milk, 1/2 cup cream cheese, 1 cup shred cheese( what ever kind you like). season with pepper, garlic powder, oregano.
    Let this simmer for about an hour.

However you will need to shop for items that are low fat, low cal, low sodium to make it more healthy.
    Again you made need to add or reduce some items to make it soup like

~Chef Jenn~
  • tammy200678
    tammy200678 Posts: 201 Member
    I make homemade potato soup a lot it is awesome and low calorie if u want I can help u with a idea of how I make it mine is a little different but awesome
  • SaraTonin
    SaraTonin Posts: 551 Member
    That one looks SO GOOD! And super healthy too.
  • CarrieAbbey
    CarrieAbbey Posts: 378 Member
    I use this recipe when I want creamy potato soup. It's low fat and delish!

2 large baking potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-sized chunks

6 cups of ff chicken or veggie stock

1/2 cup ff half-and-half OR 1/2 cup skim milk and 1/4 cup ff sour cream

1/2 cup chopped onion

optional spices:

salt

pepper

thyme

majoram basil

This recipe is EASY!

Bring 6 cups of stock to a boil. Add the chopped onion and potato. Lower the heat. Add spices that you would like. Let the soup simmer (uncovered) until potatoes are tender - about 20 min. Turn off heat. Spoon 1/2 the mixture into a blender (about half the potatoes and stock.) Puree until liquified. Return the "creamy" soup to the pot with the remaining stock, onion and potato chunks. Stir until it's thouroughly integrated. Add the ff creamer OR milk and sour cream. Stir. SERVE!!!

I sometimes serve this with (fake) bacon bits, homemade low-fat croutons, a sprinkle of cheese or a small scoop of ff sour cream.
  • ready4change
    ready4change Posts: 151 Member
    I found this one somewhere on this website... I think it might've been a blog. Anyways -- it's amazing! It's thick & creamy, all while only being 367 calories!

It reheats well for leftovers.

Loaded potato soup

Nutritional: 367 calories per serving

4 (6 ounce) red potatoes
    2 teaspoons olive oil
    ½ cup chopped onion
    1 ¼ cup fat free no sodium chicken broth
    3 tablespoons all purpose flour
    2 cups of low fat milk, divided
    ¼ cup reduced fat sour cream
    ½ teaspoon salt
    ¼ teaspoon pepper
    3 slices of bacon, halved
    1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
    4 teaspoons thinly sliced green onions

Pierce the potatoes with a fork. Microwave on HIGH for 13 minutes, or until they are tender. Cut in half and cool slightly.

While the potatoes cook, heat the olive oil in a medium size saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sauté for 3 minutes. Add the broth and stir.

Combine the flour and ½ cup of milk; add to the pan then put in the remaining 1 ½ cups of milk. Bring to a boil; stirring often. Cook for 1 minute then remove from the heat and stir in the sour cream, salt, and pepper.

Arrange the bacon on a paper towel on a microwave safe plate. Cover with a paper towel; microwave on HIGH for 4 minutes. Once cool, crumble the bacon.

Discard the potato skins. Coarsely mash the potatoes into the soup. Top with the cheese, green onions, and bacon.

This makes 4 servings of 1 ¼ cups per serving.
  • mrsbuzz
    mrsbuzz Posts: 576 Member
    bump
  • Iceskatefanrn
    Iceskatefanrn Posts: 489 Member
    I think one of these healthy versions is going to be cooking on my stove TONIGHT!

:laugh:
  • FitToBeFab
    FitToBeFab Posts: 537 Member
    I use this recipe when I want creamy potato soup. It's low fat and delish!

2 large baking potatoes, peeled and cut into bite-sized chunks

6 cups of ff chicken or veggie stock

1/2 cup ff half-and-half OR 1/2 cup skim milk and 1/4 cup ff sour cream

1/2 cup chopped onion

optional spices:

salt

pepper

thyme

majoram basil

This recipe is EASY!

Bring 6 cups of stock to a boil. Add the chopped onion and potato. Lower the heat. Add spices that you would like. Let the soup simmer (uncovered) until potatoes are tender - about 20 min. Turn off heat. Spoon 1/2 the mixture into a blender (about half the potatoes and stock.) Puree until liquified. Return the "creamy" soup to the pot with the remaining stock, onion and potato chunks. Stir until it's thouroughly integrated. Add the ff creamer OR milk and sour cream. Stir. SERVE!!!

I sometimes serve this with (fake) bacon bits, homemade low-fat croutons, a sprinkle of cheese or a small scoop of ff sour cream.

This is close to how I make potato soup, except I add corn, brocoli and sometimes celery. I also don't liquify half of the soup, I just add a milk and flour mixture. It always tastes better the second day!
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    What? You've never heard of potato soup?

Thanks for posting- these look like some great recipes!
  • pammbroo
    pammbroo Posts: 550 Member
    Yummy! bump
  • kbrob14
    kbrob14 Posts: 106 Member
    YUMM! Bump!
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    It also makes a good starting point for a vegetable soup.

I throw in potatoes, celery, onions, carrots.