Healthy Birthday Cake??

Options
Does anyone know a recipe for a birthday cake that is healthy/diet friendly? My boyfriend's mom is also dieting and has lost 25lbs. Her birthday is coming up and I would like to make her a cake that will be kind to her diet. Of course I will have to make the fully fat loaded cake for the guys b/c they all can eat a ton of food and still be skinny as a rail!!! LOL

Replies

• kk_stephens
    kk_stephens Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    What about some pound cake or something similar like angel food cake....with some light cool whip and fresh berries.
  • teachparents
    teachparents Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    i just read somewhere on line about one made with chickpeas and no one knew the difference... try googling chickpea cake???
  • Shaye85
    Shaye85 Posts: 107
    Options
    Angel food cake is usually the best, as for frosting it will be tough, u can try splenda with becel, im not sure how good it will be
  • brancakes
    brancakes Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    you could do an angelfood cake or maybe even a fruit pizza (cake).
  • evon623
    evon623 Posts: 7
    Options
    Get an Angel Food Cake mix and mix in a can of crushed pineapple. No frosting, but it's good!
  • Mishy
    Mishy Posts: 1,551 Member
    Options
    Yep!

Just take a regular cake mix and instead of using eggs/oil/water use unsweetened apple sauce or canned pumpkin.

I've paired a spice cake mix with pumpkin then added some cool whip on the top of each piece before serving and it turned out great.

Just remember you'll have to refrigerate any left overs.

I think you can also substitute diet soda, too, but I've never tried that. There should be some other recipes here in the Community section.
  • rodegghero
    rodegghero Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Carrot cake with pumpkin or applesauce puree instead of sugar
  • Trishkit
    Trishkit Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I've made this for a few birthdays and it's delicious! It doesn't feel like it's lacking in any way. She also includes the nutritional stats at the bottom of the recipe.

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2007/12/chocolate-orange-cake.html
  • lulutm
    lulutm Posts: 57
    Options
    That depends on what you are watching! If you are watching your carbs, one of the flourless chocolate cakes would be good, if you substitute the sugar for splenda baking blend.

If you are watching fat, then use your favorite cake mix and replace the oil with an equal amount of unsweetened applesauce and use only egg whites. Make a frosting of light Cool Whip and a block of cream cheese (fat free).

Also, remember to allow yourself one day a week to cheat -- perhaps that week, it could be the day of your celebration!

Here is one of my favorite recipes:

Pina Colada Cake

1 – Pineapple Supreme cake mix
    ½ cup pineapple juice
    1 – 12 oz. container Cool Whip Free
    1 – 8.5 oz. can of Coco Lopez
    ½ cup powdered sugar or Splenda

Prepare the cake mix using the low fat instructions on the box (typically you replace the oil with the same amount of applesauce, use only egg whites and shorten the baking time). Spread cake batter in a 9 x 13 inch pan and bake according to package directions.

When the cake comes out of the oven, brush it with the pineapple juice and allow it to cool.

For the icing, whip together the Cool Whip, Coco Lopez and the sugar with a mixer or whisk. Whip until thick and fluffy. Spread on cooled cake and refrigerate. Serve cold!

Enjoy!
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I use a regular box of cake mix and add only a can of diet pop. So you don't get anything but a little extra sodium and if you really think about it, 20mg of sodium divided over a cake isn't much at all. Then use some light whipped cream for icing and maybe some berries??