Must Have Grocery Items

Options
What are some must have grocery items for starting a healthy lifestyle. I hear a lot about whey protein but Im not really sure what it is or how to use it or even if it tastes good lol. I basically need to start from scratch with my grocery shopping. I live at home with my mom and she's not the healthiest shopper. any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated. I do know one thing for sure. I need to buy a blender lol

Replies

• JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I need to know this too...
  • Kristyb1010
    Options
    This is a great question - I need to know more about this too!
  • alexa_image
    alexa_image Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I will suggest, fruits, nuts, oatmeal, vegetables
    If you like tea then green tea, is great
    And the best one and is free, lots of water.
    Good luck
  • DowntimeDesigns
    DowntimeDesigns Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    For me personally:

Boneless, skinless Chicken Breasts
    Fresh Fruit and Vegetables
    Whole Grain Pasta and/or Rice
    Bison (leaner then Beef)

I know some people will agree and some will disagree, but I don't buy snacks. If I buy something to snack on, I WILL eat it all. I have a portion control issue and have found its just easier to not have snack-type foods in the house. Instead I will have some carrot sticks or an apple.
  • ShellyKay67
    ShellyKay67 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    These are just a few of the things that I pretty much buy weekly (or as needed)...
    almonds
    ground turkey
    yogurt
    fruit
    veggies
    eggs
    oatmeal
    raisins
    honey
    healthy life bread (35 cal/slice)
    peanut buttter
    chicken
    beans
  • 6Janelle13
    6Janelle13 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    fat free greek yogurt.
    fresh fruit and veggies (as many as i like and can get on my budget)
    hummus
    pita chips
    chicken
    ground turkey
    low fat cheeses
    milk
    small pieces of dark chocolate individually wrapped (dove)
    whole wheat tortillas
  • strandedeyes
    strandedeyes Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    generic items...

fresh fruit
    fresh veggies of your liking
    whole grains (bread or pasta or brown rice)
    mustard
    eggs
    low sodium string cheese (great snacks...unless you are vegan)
    peanut butter - fat free (or almond butter...I haven't tried cashew butter but its there)

Thats kind of my every day staple....each week it changes a little
  • amicklin
    amicklin Posts: 452
    Options
    these are some things I get quite a bit:
    - Eggs (whole - the yolks have so much nutrition)
    - Spinach (Can put in soups, salad, wrap, sandwhiches, omlettes..)
    - Avocado (usually eat every morning on a high fiber wrap)
    - Flax seed (can mix into yogurt, cottage cheese, cereal, baking..) (Wonderful for Omega-3's, hair, skin, cardiovascular health and keeping things 'moving')
    - Low fat yogurt
    - Oatmeal (whole/ old fashioned..)
    - Cucumbers, radishes, carrots, lettuce, green onions, peppers (Mixture of vegetables that look good to keep chopped up for snacks or salads)
    - Frozen berries
    - Canned '100%' Libby's pumpkin (great for fiber, low cal, high in vitamins and can be mixed into yogurt, smoothies, baking, oatmeal..)
    - Salsa ( it is a condiment that adds some pizzaz to stuff without being full of misc. chemicals)
    - Peanut butter (I suggest PB that has peanuts and salt as the only ingredients but then I also like 'Naturally More' peanut butter as well)
  • pasturecove
    Options
    Stay on the outer edges of the market because that's where all the most healthy stuff is - Dairy, fresh meat, produce, etc.. as you work your way in you find all the pre-processed Frankenfoods that you need to avoid. Learn to read those labels and learn what a serving size really looks like. My favorite items: Jenny-O Seasoned Turkey Burgers (frozen & raw), they cook up quickly in a skillet with no oil and need no added seasoning; any type of squash - just dice and toss in the oven with a bit of Mrs. Dash until tender, yum; eggs - boil them and add one or two to a tossed salad for your protein requirement, add a bit of pepper and pickles to the mix instead of salad dressing, awesome!; Skinny Cow Ice Cream Sandwiches - let's face it, you're going to want something sweet and creamy from time to time and and 150 calories is not a bad thing; brown rice; chicken breasts; lettuce (all kinds); skim milk, fat-free plain yogurt; Orowheat Sandwich Thins (2 pieces of bread for the carb cost of one slice of regular bread) and Orowheat 12 grain breads and Muscle Milk 100 calorie protein drinks.

Good luck!
  • bunnysone
    bunnysone Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Hey tm!
    Sounds like you are just starting out on this diet thing!!
    Dont go crazy and panic, and at this stage dont worry about whey protein, personally I've never had it and dont feel its necessary.
    You need to put into your trolley fresh fruits and vegetables, (frozen ones are ok as long as they are JUST NORMAL vegetables - ie not chips!), lean meat, wholegrains (preferably wholemeal rice etc) and DONT PUT in anything like chips, lollies, processed foods etc.
    Learn to read labels on foods. If there are whole heap of numbers or ingredients you dont recognise - DONT BUY IT.
    Just start with that. Part of this process is learning along the way and nobody can be expected to completely change their diet overnight, but if you make it a gradual process it will happen and be easier for you, especially if you are living with somebody who hasnt the healthiest diet :)
    Choose a couple of things to change, AVOID the lollies, chips and temptation aisle ALL TOGETHER and let me know how you go - I'm happy to support you :)
  • Trishkit
    Trishkit Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    My must-haves are apples, bananas, and brown rice. My favorite thing to have is brown rice with edamame and tahini sauce. Yum! And I go through bananas like crazy. I go through lots of broccoli and Brussels sprouts, when they're in season. And asparagus. Love that stuff!

I usually keep some whole-wheat pasta and a jar of sauce in the cupboard, for when we're pressed for time and want to have a reasonably healthy meal, adding in some veggies. I also keep some hearty soups in stock, such as Amy's minestrone and lentil (careful though -- they're fairly high in sodium).

In the freezer, we have a ton of frozen fruit, for me to toss into my oatmeal in the morning, which reminds me that I go through oats like crazy! (1/2 cup per day adds up pretty quick!) The frozen strawberries are excellent for making an impromptu sorbet.

I'm a huge fan of nutty, whole-grain breads, so we usually get a loaf of Dave's Killer Bread when we go to the store. They have "light" breads out now, too, which are just smaller and thinner slices. I'm okay with that, though, because I still feel like I'm having a whole sandwich (or full piece of toast -- whatever). I also love peanut butter! We buy the dark roasted organic stuff, which just has peanuts in it and nothing else. It's worth the annoyance of having to stir it all up, when you first buy it; I won't touch the "normal" stuff anymore!

I'm vegan, so I don't do dairy yogurt and try to avoid highly-processed soy, so I keep some coconut yogurt around and often have one for a mid-afternoon snack. I usually keep some almond milk handy, for using in place of cow's milk when cooking (unsweetened original has 40 calories per 8 oz.), though you can also make it from scratch.

There's your peek into my kitchen. :-)
  • lklein
    lklein Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Here's my grocery list I just put together this morning

-Milk
    -Turkey Ham
    -Eggs
    -Mushrooms
    -Whole wheat bread
    -Fresh Fruit
    -Salsa
    - Veggies (fresh and frozen)
    -Ground Turkey
    -Diced tomatoes
    -Swiss Cheese
    -String Cheese
    -Tuna
    -Yogurt
    - Beans
    -Soup
    -Spaghetti Squash
    -Whole wheat noodles
    -Chicken Breast
    - Light Chicken Broth
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your goals, and how YOU best feel is the right way for you to lose weight.

Way too many people wake up one day and decide “you know what I’m going to lose weight”. And have no idea what/or how to do it. They hear all kinds of truths, half truths. Myths and outright lies, and take off down the road to weight loss.

Good for them they are doing something, but bad on them because this is what leads to failure. Here is some unsolicited advice. Since you have already made up your mind to get healthy-er, watch your portions, start getting at least some exercise, and start researching. I’m a big advocate of low carb, but don’t just run with the phrase low carb, educate yourself as to what that truly means. This is a good place to start, http://www.marksdailyapple.com/ there are other places you can go to look at other types of diets.

Once you have a game plan as to how you are going to lead your life from now on, your shopping list will pretty much take care of itself.
  • Trista87Marie
    Trista87Marie Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    thanks so much for the help guys. I know that having the healthier options in the house will make things easier. Especially if i can manage to get a variety. I always end up stuck eating the same old boring foods like salads and turkey wraps sans mayo. I get super bored with the same food all the time and it usually causes me to splurge on unhealthy but admittedly tasty foods. So im trying to find tasty healthy foods lol.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Meats:
    skinless, boneless chicken breasts
    canned tuna (lowest sodium I can find)
    ground turkey

Eggs (both whole eggs and egg whites)

Veggies:
    As much as I can buy/use before it goes bad! Favorites include:
    Spinach (add this to eggs, smoothies, salads, etc.)
    Cauliflower (cauliflower mashed 'potatoes', cauliflower pizza crust, etc.)
    Broccoli
    Peppers
    Onions
    Tomatoes (fresh & canned (diced))
    Brussel Sprouts
    Carrots
    Celery
    Salsa/Pico De Gallo - low-cal and can spice lots of dishes up (chicken, eggs, etc.)
    Fruit: Whatever is reasonably priced and available
    Spaghetti Squash
    Cucumbers

Dairy (or Dairy substitutes):
    1% milk
    Cottage cheese
    Greek yogurt (I buy the type with only milk & bacteria, possibly "natural flavoring" - I don't buy kinds with added sugar/sweetener)
    Almond MIlk (unsweetened, original)

Others:
    Potatoes/Sweet Potatoes/Yams
    Quinoa
    Oats (old-fashioned or steel-cut, not instant)
    Beans (I buy no-salt-added cans of black, pinto, garbanzo, etc. - add to salads, eat as a side dish, mix w/veggies, make homemade hummus, etc.)
    Wasa Crackers (I prefer the light rye version) - great for snacks, can spread with PB or cheese or something)
    Natural PB (read the label!! I buy the type that has ONE ingredient: peanuts - no added salt, sugars, oils, etc.)
  • gsather
    gsather Posts: 6
    Options
    You want to eat as much fresh raw stuff as possible - here are a few grocery must haves as well as some really great recipes:

Carrots & hummus :: great snack
    Yams :: cut in “steak fries” style, spritzed in light olive oil spray and covered in sweet paprika, cinnamon and a pinch of salt – baked at 350 for 35 minutes
    Hulled hemp seeds :: great on salads and packed with amino acids, omega fats, protein phytonutrients, etc…
    Chia seeds :: mix 1 tbsp with 3 tbsp of almond milk, coconut milk, etc… and a dash of cinnamon & cardamom and 1/3 tsp raw agave. Mix and let sit for 20-30 minutes… makes a lovely pudding.
    Goji berries :: great snack
    Salmon :: drizzle with lemon, salt & pepper
    Crimini or portabella mushrooms :: great on their own, in salads, in sautés, grilled, whatever
    Snap peas :: sweet and crunchy
    Young coconut :: the water is full of electrolytes and the tender meat is a great snack if you’ve got a sweet tooth
    Garlic :: almost anything that I cook contains at least 2 cloves of garlic
    Frozen fruit :: often less expensive than fresh and stores well for shakes or to add to yogurt.
    Avocados :: high fat (the good kind) so don’t overdo it. ½ makes a great snack or light lunch when filled with salsa or pico de gallo.
    Sea tangle noodles :: ultra low calorie – rinse and then add to boiling water, miso paste and braggs liquid amino acids (Braggs tastes like soy sauce, but it’s way better for you!)
    Bell Peppers :: crunchy and sweet snack
    Raw organic agave :: sweeter than sugar and lower on the glycemic index
    Braggs liquid amino acids :: use in place of tamari or soy sauce
    Red, brown or forbidden rice :: avoid bleached white rice or boxed rice “easy” meals – they’re more bellyfillers than nutritious meals

Kitchen must haves:
    Rice maker :: can cook rice and steam your veggies!
    Blender :: You want one that’s really quality, the cheapies break pretty easily
    Food processor :: to make your own sauces, dips and side dishes

Above all else – ****read the labels****. Avoid anything with high fructose corn syrup or has a LONG list of ingredients that you can’t pronounce… You want bread with ingredients like: wheat, water, salt, yeast, honey… not long words with numbers and dashes in them. For that matter, take the extra time to make your own items and try to avoid anything prepackaged anyhow – when possible.

Also, hit your library and look for some vegetarian or raw recipes – I know it sounds dismal, but there are some extremely flavorful recipes that exist!

Zucchini salad:
    Noodles: Shredded zucchini and julienned (or really thinly sliced) bell pepper & sea salt
    Sauce: In a blender, combine the following and blend until smooth. 3 tomatoes on-the-vine (orange in this case), ½ celery stalk, 1 small shallot or 1/8 yellow onion, ½ clove garlic, juice of 1 meyer lemon, 3 tablespoons Udo’s oil, ½ cup basil & Himalayan pink salt to taste.

Ratatouille: 1 eggplant, 2 zucchini, 2 delicata squash, 1 orange bell pepper or 4 or 5 mini sweet bell peppers, 1 yellow onion, 5 tomatoes, 4 cloves of garlic. 1 tsp each fresh sage, rosemary and thyme. ½ cup of basil and (cheat!) ¼ cup kalamata olives. Salt, pepper and oil to taste.
    Peel the squash, cut in half lengthwise and remove the seed. Cut the eggplant, zucchini, squash and onion into small chunks (about ½ inch square). One at a time on medium heat and with a little olive oil, sauté the onion, remove from pan, sauté the eggplant, remove from pan, sauté the squash, remove from pan and sauté the zucchini then remove from pan – this is just so that you can get the consistency all the same for these veggies of different densities.
    Chop the tomatoes into fairly small bits. Lower heat and add to pan with some salt and a dash of raw agave. Add the herbs (except the basil) and heat, stirring frequently for about 15 minutes until it looks like jam. Add all of the sautéd veggies and stir gently (to keep the chunks whole) and frequently for another 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from heat, add basil and olives (optional). Serve!

Cooked Kale: Sauté 1 tsp each garlic and ginger in oil. Strip the leaves off of the center vein and cut into bite size chunks. Add to the pan with 1-2 tbsp Braggs amino acids (or soysauce) and 1 tbsp water. Cover and steam for about 3 minutes - make sure to remove from heat while the kale still has some bounce to it. (These are approx. measurements - I actually add way more ginger than is decent!)
  • dearprudence1964
    dearprudence1964 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    My must have groceries include:

Lemons
    Clementines (in season)
    Strawberries (in season)
    apples
    romaine lettuce
    baby spinach
    cucumbers
    tomatos
    red onion
    bell peppers (often the frozen stirfry strips)
    fresh garlic cloves
    whole green beans
    spring water
    quinoa
    Tabouli mix
    lite salad dressings
    boneless skinless chicken breast
    shrimp
    eggs for boiling
    olive oil
    almonds (sometimes I get the cocoa roasted ones)
    lite wheat bread
  • Cristy_AZ
    Cristy_AZ Posts: 986
    Options
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Those are all really great suggestions from the above posters. Another suggestion would be to label read when you go to the grocery store next. Most people have a general idea of what is healthy... like fruits and veggies, whole grains... but its no fun making this change if you are eating foods you don't like just because they are healthy. So take a peek at foods you think are healthy, and if they are, throw them in the cart. If not, leave them there and look for some new things to try.

Oh.. and if it says light, or no fat.. don't assume thats healthy. Peek the label anyways :)

It will probably suck the first few times you go to the grocery store until you get the hang of what is good for you and what is not so much. I think my first grocery trip took over an hour lol. Now it doesn't take long and I still look for new things to try, but I know what I am looking for in the label now, so its so much faster.