Is it ok to go over my daily protein goal?

Options
Since Ive had to work on lowering my sugar intake my protein intake has skyrocketed. Im having a hard time keeping that within balance. Is it ok to go over my daily protein goal?

Replies

• gsather
    gsather Posts: 6
    Options
    Are you building muscle? That would be OK, but too much protein can be really tough on your liver and can lead to issues later in life. Just be careful with it. It's just like anything else - too much of a good thing generally isn't.

Cheers!
  • bostonmia
    bostonmia Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Absolutely!! Depending on the type of exercise plan you are own, diet plan, intake for women can be between .8-1gram /kilogram body weight. You'll find this info is pretty standard:

Men and women protein intake range based on ideal body weight:

•Minimum Daily Protein Requirement: W.H.O. recommends 0.45 grams of protein per kilogram of ideal body weight per day.
    •Maximum Daily Protein Requirement: US RDA recommends 0.8 grams of protein per kilogram of ideal body weight per day. The UK Department of Health and Social Security is approximately the same.
    If you are currently doing endurance training your daily protein requirement increases by 1 to 1.2 grams per kilogram of ideal body weight per day. However, there is no recommended daily protein requirement for weight or strength training. Additionally, the daily requirements do not increase for people over their ideal body weight. This is because amino acids are not needed to support fat cells.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    yes, it's almost imposible to get to much protien, in fact I have a hard time getting enough in my diet. Those numbers are more a guide and not something you need to worry to much about. it's more to track what you are doing. I would advise you do some research and decide what you need/want in the way of % of protien/carbs/fats and not rely on what they suggest here as the "standard". Here is a good site with lots of information about how the body uses nutrition. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/
    if it looks like something for you, it's a real healthy way of life.
  • boobee32
    boobee32 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I always go over mine...I sure hope its ok.
  • AllyS7
    AllyS7 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I go over mine often, too. I'd agree that if you eat a ridiculous amount of protein that would increase ketones in your urine, which is hard on your system. But I would say that is not going to be a problem for most people.