Confused... FitBit vs. plain ol' HRM ?

Options
1113cw
1113cw Posts: 830 Member
I was all set to buy a FitBit (after checking out the other varieties out there like Body Bug and Body Media) and then thought that maybe I should check out the varieties of good ol' HRM out there. Now I'm more confused than ever! I basically want something that I can accurately track how many calories I'm burning with.

Any advice to point me in the right direction?

Replies

• Swilson87
    Swilson87 Posts: 139
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 that does everything I need a HRM to do. It has a chest strap, has a graph that lets you know what your HR is during training, and also tracks calories.
  • amyoliver85
    amyoliver85 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I think it's a personal preference.

As long as you get your resting heart rate correct and honestly and accurately enter your information into a GOOD hrm, like a Polar, then it should do exactly what you're hoping for.

I have problems with mine sometimes, and have a Polar FT4, but the truth is, I know just as many people who sometimes have problems with their BodyBuggs and other devices.

I would just choose what you think will work for you the best and what you're willing to work with and go with it.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar FT7 and it has everything I need to track calories, HR etc.
  • rosegreen
    rosegreen Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I bought a fitbit and it only works half the time. It freezes up and just stops working for weeks and then suddenly works again. So definitely would not recommend them. I also have a Polar HRM and it works great.
  • seemichellerun
    Options
    I have both. The HRM is great if you just want data for your workouts. The fitbit is meant to be worn all day (and night) and gives data about your activity level, calories burned, and steps taken.

It's really personal preference. Ever since I got my fitbit, I haven't used my HRM.
  • UcallMeJay
    Options
    I use a Timex HRM. I use it mainly for tracking how many calories burned during a workout, But it also allows you to set min/max HR and HR zones.

The Polar ft4 also receives high reviews.
  • seemichellerun
    Options
    I bought a fitbit and it only works half the time. It freezes up and just stops working for weeks and then suddenly works again. So definitely would not recommend them. I also have a Polar HRM and it works great.

Have you contacted customer service about your fitbit issues? You might need to update the firmware.
  • sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Love my Polar! I'm not sure which model I have, but it was only $50 (on sale) and it's great. It's always really consistent with the amount I burn and it's super easy to use. It tracks my heart rate and my calories along with my time and my max heart rate and average and it's very easy to change the settings as you change weights. I really like it, and I couldnt beat it for the price... plus it's cute!
  • kimlausan
    kimlausan Posts: 39
    Options
    @Sweetheart - Where did you get your Polar from?