The "Not Hungry" Dilemma...

Options
I've seen this posted by friends and strangers alike. Being Diabetic and having gone through the classes for it, I know that skipping meals is definitely not a good idea for anyone, Diabetic or not. So many of us are here because of poor choices we've made over the years. Most of us don't know how to truly recognize when our bodies are hungry. So, when we think we're starving, we stuff ourselves. Or, we think we're not hungry (or, might lose weight faster), we do the wrong thing by skipping meals.

What to do? It's advised to have set times to eat. This not only helps keep blood sugars (with anyone) stable, but it aids in recognizing true hunger. It also helps in not eating when we're bored. For those that aren't hungry, try nibbling on a snack during your scheduled meal. Chances are, a few minutes into eating, you might realize you are hungry.

We're here to learn a new lifestyle and, to more or less, retrain our brains, bodies and habits. If after you've tried nibbling on a snack and just can't do it, fine. At least, you've tried and given your body some nourishment. Just keep in mind, most of us have mindlessly eaten throughout the years and now we fail to properly recognize the signals our body gives us.

Good luck and may you have much success!!

Replies

• sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Good call... I'd been doing really great at eating at set times and I've started making protein smoothies and drinking them at work. My first snack is supposed to be at 10am... but because of the shake I'm usually not hungry, so I've been skipping it. Then after lunch I'm STARVING! This just threw in a little reminder to just eat a little something... thanks :flowerforyou:
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Just glad I can help. :)

I've seen firsthand what not eating can do to a Diabetic. It's not good for anyone, though.
  • sauza
    sauza Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    thanks. I always always have a problem making myself eat enough. I was thin until I was 51 years old. Imagine that. By the way, weight gain had absolutely nothing to do with menopause (happened years ago) or age, it was bad lifestyle choices - from someone who certainly knew better. In tryng to get back in shape, it never occured to me that I might have trained myself not to eat. Not intentionally, of course. Again, thanks for taking the time to post the info. I could use it.
  • kelika71
    kelika71 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    You're most welcome! :)

I wish they'd teach Diabetic classes to everyone instead of after someone's diagnosed. The things they teach now are things everyone should know to succeed in leading a healthy lifestyle.

Funny how everyone complains about the cost of health care and trying to prevent illnesses. The smart thing to do would be to teach this stuff before it happens. Then again, what do I know?! lol
  • lubvug32
    lubvug32 Posts: 15
    Options
    You are right though... if they taught these things before one gets diagnosed, the whole weight issue this country is facing would be far less rampant. Then again, all those people making money off of diet fads, fast foods, and health insurance premiums would be out of steady paychecks!! LOL Thanks for the tip btw!