Bicycles

Linda4859
Linda4859 Posts: 78
edited September 24 in Fitness and Exercise
Have decided that if we cycle for one hour a day the calories will just fall away. Plus our bodies will be so toned, It is both my daughters birthday in April ( they are both on this site) so guess what, Im going out tomorrow to buy us all a mountain bike with full suspension for when we do the off the road stuff.

Does everyone agree that this is an ideal present for someone who wants to get fit and lean?

Please let me know what you think. xx

Replies

• sassyg
    sassyg Posts: 393
    I wouldn't get a full suspension bike, unless you plan to do some pretty tricky downhill MTBing
  • rvice2
    rvice2 Posts: 132 Member
    Great present, but I agree with the previous post - unless you are doing hard core mountain biking don't go with a full suspension.
  • forthefab5
    forthefab5 Posts: 187 Member
    I'm not that knowledgeable about types of bikes but this sounds like a great plan to get into shape!!! You might also want to think about roller-blading/skating... that's an awesome workout for thighs and butts!
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    I like full-suspension for rough terrain. Some of the better bikes are able to lock-out the rear shock travel so the bike can behave like a hardtail when you want it to. Then you don't waste pedal effort when you ride on-road or smooth trails. Best of both worlds.
  • lisabernard
    lisabernard Posts: 59 Member
    I think the important part is just to get a good quality bike that fits well. I bought mine from a bike shop this time and I'm much happier than I was with the bike from wal mart. I also paid extra to have them put liners and extra sealants in the tires to prevent flats and a softer seat. I had reached a plateau and this bike has me losing again!
  • Linda4859
    Im not that knowledgable about bikes , so are you saying that if I get full suspension that they need more pedal power for ordinary on the road cycling? :)
  • sassyg
    sassyg Posts: 393
    Yeah pretty much. Unless its a really good setup, its harder to get up hills because so much of your push just goes into making the suspension bounce. Also the geometry is different.

Unless you've got a lot of money to drop on bikes ( A decent FS with a good lock out propedal shock would set you back $3000+ here) its just not worth it. You're only going to be getting crap.

Look for a good hardtail. You don't need FS for casual off-road trails.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    I ride a big, clunky beach cruiser. It is, by far, my main form of exercise. I ride for one hour a day, about 9mph and burn (according to MFP) 400 cals.

I think the idea is to do something that qualifies as exercise AND you enjoy so you keep it up. It doesn't appear to be an exact science so I vote that you get what you like and have a blast! :)
  • doutri2
    doutri2 Posts: 186 Member
    Go to a Bike Shop, not your big box sporting goods shop. Tell the shop owner or salesperson what type of riding that you plan to do- on road, trail, off-road trails, etc. He/she should be able to match your needs.

There is a type of bike called a "hybrid" that you can easily ride on both gravel trails and paved trails. Also, you need to take the bike for a good test drive- something you can't do at a sporting goods store. Good luck in your search.
  • strandedeyes
    strandedeyes Posts: 392 Member
    I dont know much about bikes but I do own a hybrid and it has been a great friend of mine for the past two years. As long as you take care of it, they are definitely worth a buy.

I agree with the above posts, go to a bike shop. I learned so much about my bike and how to take care of it as well as now know if I have any issues, I can call up the same store and know who the guys / girls are.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Go to a Bike Shop, not your big box sporting goods shop. Tell the shop owner or salesperson what type of riding that you plan to do- on road, trail, off-road trails, etc. He/she should be able to match your needs.

There is a type of bike called a "hybrid" that you can easily ride on both gravel trails and paved trails. Also, you need to take the bike for a good test drive- something you can't do at a sporting goods store. Good luck in your search.

That's really good advice!
  • TimWeis75
    TimWeis75 Posts: 30
    There's two ways to do dual suspension: the right way and the wrong way.

The right way is more than two months of a typical mortgage...

I have two bikes.

One is a road bike that's great for highways, paved commuter trails, and crushed limestone "rail trails". No suspension.

The other is a front suspension hybrid that I've fitted with a rack and fenders and some "dirt drop" handlebars. I prefer more hand positions than what is offered on a typical hybrid/mountain bike. I use it on gravel roads and ice.
  • Linda4859
    Thankyou everyone for your input on this subject, I will now go to the bike shop having a better idea of what it is that we really need, and can now ask some sensible questions. I love this site, you are all so very supportive.

I will keep you all informed of what I actually decided to purchase.

Many thanks. xx
  • bunnysone
    bunnysone Posts: 486 Member
    definately go to a bike shop! My husband moutainbikes regularly and our "financial black hole" is at the local cycle shop - where ALL THE STAFF know his name personally!!
    but hey he has done over 1000km since the start of the year so he's breaking something every few weeks :)
    Good luck - dont be afraid of hills and tough climbs - they work the butt ;)
    Love to hear how you go!
  • dcmat
    dcmat Posts: 1,723 Member
    I would suggest either a hybrid or road bike. I have always cycled (4000 miles per year), but had a really poor diet. I then had 4 months off following a knee operation (6 weeks being non-weight bearing) and, with the same poor diet, the weight piled on.

I am now back up to 20-32 miles per day, depending on which way I cycle to work, and have improved my diet (cutting out crisps, biscuits, cake, alcohol...) - and the weight is dropping off at good steady pace.
  • mkeller234
    mkeller234 Posts: 121 Member
    There is a lot of really great advice here. Going to a actual bike shop is probably the best piece of advice. There is such a large quality gap between the bike shops and big box stores, not to mention service and support after the sale.

A hybrid is a great suggestion, and probably the most affordable one. I believe a basic hybrid will cost around 300 dollars at a typical shop. I also by far prefer a completely rigid frame. Hybrids and mountain bikes usually have nice fat tires that lend a lot towards comfort. If you want to ride faster, consider smooth tires over knobby ones.

The best thing you can do is ask questions and try a lot of different bicycles before you commit to one. Try different styles of bikes as there can be large differences in geometry and seating position. Also try many shops, you will find that some are extremely accommodating and helpful while others may only be interested in catering to the "serious roadies".

Bicycles can become an addiction, I myself own five. Good luck, and have fun!
  • dcmat
    dcmat Posts: 1,723 Member
    ...and make it more affordable - go to bike shop, make a list of those you like, then hit ebay!
  • mkeller234
    mkeller234 Posts: 121 Member
    ...and make it more affordable - go to bike shop, make a list of those you like, then hit ebay!

Yes, used bicycles can offer fantastic savings. As an adult, all of my bicycles were purchased used. There are a couple of downfalls though. Often on ebay bicycles have to be shipped and are taken apart for shipping so you need some skills and tools to properly reassemble it (or just pay a bike shop to). If you are buying used you should be able to identify frame damage and other common problems like untrue wheels, bent derailleurs and poorly adjusted bearings among other things.

But you are correct, buying used can be just as good or even better than buying new.
  • spaboleo
    spaboleo Posts: 172
    There's two ways to do dual suspension: the right way and the wrong way.

The right way is more than two months of a typical mortgage...

I have two bikes.
    [...]

Yep...that's the way it is.
    A full-suspension bike doesn't make any sense for you.

The bike industry has developed very fast in many directions and has made major improvements. The classical "allround MTB" (as propagandized in the '90s mostly) is dead.

Today there are:
    Gravitybikes (Geometry to extreme to be ridden in flats...massive suspensions)
    Freeridebikes (A little more extreme than Downhill)
    Downhillbikes (Still to extreme to cycle uphill, all the above of course fully suspensioned)
    X-Country (Crosscountry)bikes full-suspension (compromise to be able to cycle uphill for short distances)
    All-Mountain Bikes (mostly) hard-tail (best tour-bike to cross the alps e.g. as an average person)
    Dirtbikes (to be ridden in the Dirt- or Bikepark and performing jumps and so on)

An that's only the offroad-section. :wink:
    And by offroad I mean really going down-hill and jumping through the wood every which way.

If you just want to cycle wood paths that could get a little more bumpy as a gravelroad you could look at:
    All-Mountain Bikes (mostly) hard-tail (cheaper versions)
    Cross/Hybrid Bikes (A city bike that you can ride down a dirty road without loosing parts...mostly front suspension)
    Trekking-Bikes
    Touring-Bikes
    City-Bikes

Optional to a few of those types are the following:
    29" tires (twentyniners), Singlespeed-Gearing, Geared-Hub, built-material (carbon, alu, steel)

As you can see...alls the different branches developed very far. I would risk calling it forking, because a few bike-types are "forks" of their own, like gravitybikes or dirtbikes.
    And others are Crossbreeds...sometimes more, sometimes less developed to the extreme side.

I can only speak for myself...I've got three bikes. Every single one with a specific purpose and only built for that.
    A light road-bike, an indestructable street-rat and an Hardtail with an aggressive Cross-Country geometry.
    I love all of them :heart:

Visist a good bikeshop and try to explain in details what you want to ride.
    A good shop won't sell you the most expensive bike in the shop! Rather one that fits your needs.
  • Linda4859
    Wow, am so amazed at how many bikes that there are out there. We trailed around town yesterday and you are really spoilt for choice, could not believe that some bikes were costing around £3000.00 my car isn't worth that!!!!
    We finally decided on front suspension Trax 51 bikes, can be used safely on the road and can be used if you going through gravel etc ina wooded area.

Thankyou to everyone for all your advice I read everyone and it made me make a better choice.

Keep burning those pounds guys. xx
This discussion has been closed.