too much protein?

Options
Hi, I have been going over on my protein everyday! And Im wondering if that is a big deal or if I should try not to?
I am supposed to take in only 50something grams of protein a day but I've been eating
80something. I feel like I have been making healthy choices I like to eat egg whites and peanutbutter
Chicken and cheese and the pasta noodles I cook with are high in protein. Is this a problem? I usually
Burn about 300 cals a day from cardio.
Thanks

Sarah

Replies

• james3302
    james3302 Posts: 119
    Options
    MFP sets your total protein allowance low.Mine is set to 40% of my total calories. I think they set it at 20%. So you are ok, actually the more protein the less hungry you will be.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to keep and gain muscle, protein is good. I go for 30% of my calories to be protein. I really wouldn't be sweating it.
  • rvice2
    rvice2 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I personally feel like MFP has the protein setting rather low. I actually follow the the p90x diet which has WAY more protein. You will be fine and extra protein is a good thing!
  • jfer1977
    jfer1977 Posts: 139
    Options
    So many people are worried about going over in protein. MFP doesn't show as much protein as you really need.

Whatever weight you are wanting to be is how many grams of protein you need. Protein is what helps build and retain muscles. So, in reality, unless you are wanting to be 80 lbs (I doubt it) then you aren't getting enough protein.
  • lisabernard
    lisabernard Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    My personal trainer told me to aim for a minimum of 100 grams of protein a day.
  • TIFnFIT
    TIFnFIT Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I heard somewhere that you were supposed to eat half of your weight in protien. So if you were 160lbs, you should eat at least 80 grams per day. I try for at least 100 grams per day.... no, i don't weigh 200 lbs either. :tongue:
  • skinnylizzard
    skinnylizzard Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I need lots of protein. I just try to diversify so I don't eat too many meat proteins. I use eggs, whey powder, tofu and lots of beans. I think you're fine!
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    What is your protein set at? I don't use MFP's goal numbers. My doctor had me set my carbs at 40%, protein at 35% (which raised it considerably from what MFP had it at), and 25% fat. However, I am diabetic, so my ratios may be different than what would be suggested for someone else. If you are going to go over on something, I think protein would be the one to go over on....going over on calories, carbs, and sodium are a lot more important (in my opinion).
  • wstidolph
    wstidolph Posts: 20
    Options
    A cautionary note - urologists warn against "animal protein gluttony" (my urologist set the threshold at 4 oz at one meal) because the uric acid spike from processing a lot of animal protein at once can lead to uric kidney stone formation; also, high protein diets can (I have heard) cause you to excrete a lot of calcium, which might also lead to kidney stones.
  • givprayz
    givprayz Posts: 328
    Options
    You can change your percentages under the "goals" tab, "edit" then do "custom" and change your protein to 5% higher, taking it out of carbs. Se if that is closer to your ratios. You can always change it again if you need to.

When you exercise regularly, you need more protein. MFP ratios seem set up for adult, sedentary women. If you are male, &/or active, you need more than the default settings.
  • TIFnFIT
    TIFnFIT Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I heard somewhere that you were supposed to eat half of your weight in protien. So if you were 160lbs, you should eat at least 80 grams per day. I try for at least 100 grams per day.... no, i don't weigh 200 lbs either. :tongue:
    AND I Love the 30g of protein within 30 minutes of waking advice (Dr. Oz). This has done wonders for my mind, body and appetite!!
  • patssarah
    patssarah Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Thanks! That's good to know! And yes I do always feel very full and stay full after a protein filled meal
  • nancymmorris
    Options
    I eat a lot more protein than what MFP shows for my daily intake. I talked to my Dr. and he says I am doing just what I should be doing. I also eat lots of eggs and beans. I have done very well doing what I am doing so I am not changing anything. If it is working for you keep doing it.:smile:

4517394.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • Drifster
    Drifster Posts: 3
    Options
    Unfortunately, excess protein that is not used by your body will be stored as fat, but if you want to retain and gain muscle mass while you're dieting, you need to insure that your intake of protein is at a level that your body isn't breaking down your current muscle mass to offset lower caloric intake.
  • Mary830
    Mary830 Posts: 64
    Options
    When I am eating low calorie and/or not exercising a lot I tend to keep protein between 15-25% of my daily calories. When I am working out more and increasing my daily calories- I'll increase my protein intake too. 80g a day doesn't sound excessive to me- it's pretty close to what I aim for on a daily basis. Just my opinion, though.
  • patssarah
    patssarah Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, excess protein that is not used by your body will be stored as fat, but if you want to retain and gain muscle mass while you're dieting, you need to insure that your intake of protein is at a level that your body isn't breaking down your current muscle mass to offset lower caloric intake.

This was what I was worried about! Do you know how I can calculate how much I need so my body does not do this? I burn about 300 calories a day doing cardio, but no strength training or anything, so I am not sure if that makes a difference. I do not care about "gaining muscle" but I would definitely like to maintain and tone.

I am 5'7 currently 148lbs, and my goal is to be 135. My protein intake has been about 80grams a day. Not sure how to figure out how much % that is. I usually eat between 1250-1400 cals of my alloted 1500 a day.

Thanks
  • Drifster
    Drifster Posts: 3
    Options
    I don't think you have much to worry about, keep doing the cardio, keep calories below the daily limit, keep the protein limit close to daily allowed amount, and you'll do fine. It's no big secret but if you try and get a majority of your protein in at breakfast and lunch, makes abit of difference, I still feel full when dinner comes around but that's my opinion.