Do I join the gym or not?

Options

Replies

• swiss31
    swiss31 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I love my gym. My wife and I have a membership. There are several classes that she enjoys, all the equiptment you'd ever need, a hot tub for when you're done, a pool, sauna, steam room, TV's on every cardio piece (for those long journeys), raquetball courts, basketball courts, etc. There's so much to do that I never get bored working out. It even has a snack bar that makes recovery shakes and has WiFi.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I love my gym and it is also 39 a month. I am much more focused on working out when I am at the gym and having access to all the equipment and classes for only $39 a month to me is a steal. Also for me I like to be around others working out even though I blocke them out I like to be able to look around and see others sweating just like me.
  • EllyK09
    EllyK09 Posts: 75
    Options
    I thought that was Brad in your picture!! :-)

Yes, join the gym. I belong to a gym that doesn't have classes but I really enjoy going. If you can get yourself to exercise on your own then more power to you!! I joined a gym that is on my way home from work so I have no excuses. Also at the gym I am much more focused!
  • staps065
    staps065 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Join the gym! See if they will work with you on the price. Many will but they do not advertise it. You should also be able to get a month-to-month contract opposed to a one-year or more deal. Ask! Especially if there is local competition.

The gym is "me time" as someone else posted and it is also a socail thing and some accountability once you make a few friends!

Do it! You'll hang clothes on the treadmill, elliptical, stationary bike, etc... Been there, done that. But I have gone faithfully to a gym for the last 6 years!
  • atessieri
    atessieri Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I love it , not only is it good motivation but as a new mom its me time and a shower without worrying about the baby :)
  • valerie58
    valerie58 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I love the gym,,,, Love the classes and it is a great way to get motivated... My gym has a large pool with classes in the pool soooo much fun. I use the shower and the sauna and jacuzzi... Sometimes I try to use it as a spa day and bring a friend... LOVE IT>>>>
  • briar_rose
    briar_rose Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'm excercising at home using videos, plus EA Sports Active and my stationary bike and have done so much better than I ever have when I had a gym membership. I find it much easier to go downstairs and workout. Everyone is different though so you have to figure out what works for you.
  • twooliver
    twooliver Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Funny story...I dropped my gym membership a couple of weeks ago because I am using my treadmill at home, plus I have smaller equipment and DVD's. But....after about a week, I rejoined the gym because I do like using it for the group exercises like Zumba and the equipment that I don't have at home. It's only 24 a month...so it's not that much of an investment and I like having the option to work out with others or at home.

Good luck on the decision..
  • lukimakamai
    lukimakamai Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I love my gym! It is totally worth it if you go regularly...and plus you have the classes and you don't have to do the same thing all the time...it is the BEST!
  • BrandNewMia
    BrandNewMia Posts: 461
    Options
    The first month I started my weight loss I worked out at home doing aerobics and Wii Fit. It was too cold and icy to walk/run outside, otherwise I would have done that, too.

A week and half ago we got a family membership to the Y and I LOVE IT! I utilize the child watch a LOT (they watch the kiddos while husby and I exercise). There is also an indoor pool which is fantastic, and the sauna and whirlpool are a bonus, too. There are classes that I plan to take for no additional cost and programs for the whole family. For us, the gym membership is going to be 100% worth it. I like the full variety of fitness equipment and weights, along with every class imaginable. When I am ready to switch up my workout or start toning, it is all right there, waiting and ready, plus there are instructors and coaches to help me out.

You really have to be commited to going to make it worth the money. Like other posters have said - if you want to run, or do exercise DVDs, just save your money and workout at home. If you get bored with that stuff (like I do!) then a gym might be the right thing to do. It's motivating for me to watch other people exercise - at the Y there are people of every age, size and shape. When I see the 70 year old spin instructor that kicks everyone's behinds, or the man that is twice my size out-do me on the treadmill, or the woman with the perfect body burning up the elliptical, it gives me hope that I CAN and WILL be in shape one of these days.
  • sbanders
    sbanders Posts: 23
    Options
    Im thinking about joining ours. They had kid care, but I don't know the ages for the kid care. I homeschool my kids and we want to do gym class in the pool, but I thought I would work out before or after if they would watch the kids.

Our Gym's daycare is for children 0 to 12.. If you have the Family play 12 and up can have there on fitness routine.
  • elfie9863
    elfie9863 Posts: 337
    Options
    Join! What a great price $39!! Discipline of going to a gym daily is far easier for many of us than trying to fit a workout in at home between kids, family and every other little thing that steals our time away.

Gym time is 'me time' You deserve 'me time', we all do!

I think you should give it a go and see how you like it, nothing like taking classes with others looking to get and stay fit, it's highly motivating and if you try a Zumba class you'll be hooked and having the time of your life. Can you try a

That's a great way to think of it, by trading in sweet tea you can do something positive for yourself by getting fit emotionally and physically!:drinker::heart:

Edited to add: Oops I forgot to add, I LOVE the gym! In case that wasn't clear in my post above.:tongue:

Totally agree. I have been known to celebrate "National Pajama Day"...several times a week, and once it was a total Pajama Hottenanny...YIKES....so, just getting out of the house, going TO the gym is pretty motivational for me. Besides which, once you get there you KNOW your going to work out. Wouldn't want all those people see you walk in n walk out again...hahahah...

The gym has done a lot for me in more ways than one.

I :heart: my gym!!!
  • elfie9863
    elfie9863 Posts: 337
    Options
    Join! What a great price $39!! Discipline of going to a gym daily is far easier for many of us than trying to fit a workout in at home between kids, family and every other little thing that steals our time away.

Gym time is 'me time' You deserve 'me time', we all do!

I think you should give it a go and see how you like it, nothing like taking classes with others looking to get and stay fit, it's highly motivating and if you try a Zumba class you'll be hooked and having the time of your life. Can you try a

That's a great way to think of it, by trading in sweet tea you can do something positive for yourself by getting fit emotionally and physically!:drinker::heart:

Edited to add: Oops I forgot to add, I LOVE the gym! In case that wasn't clear in my post above.:tongue:

Totally agree. I have been known to celebrate "National Pajama Day"...several times a week, and once it was a total Pajama Hootenanny Week.....YIKES....so, just getting out of the house, going TO the gym is pretty motivational for me. Besides which, once you get there you KNOW your going to work out. Wouldn't want all those people see you walk in n walk out again...hahahah...

The gym has done a lot for me in more ways than one.

I :heart: my gym!!!

sorry - double post...I spelled Hootenanny wrong..prob both times...
  • sbanders
    sbanders Posts: 23
    Options
    Thanks everyone I'm going to join.. They have this Key that goes in each machine and is programed to know your routine.. I'm really excited to learn how to work all of them.. Even if I only keep it for the year I will have learned a lot.. so I'm going to look at it as a educational experience..
  • aneajo
    aneajo Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Im thinking about joining ours. They had kid care, but I don't know the ages for the kid care. I homeschool my kids and we want to do gym class in the pool, but I thought I would work out before or after if they would watch the kids.

Our Gym's daycare is for children 0 to 12.. If you have the Family play 12 and up can have there on fitness routine.

I know there is an age limit for the exercise room, but not sure what it is, my son is 12 and wants to work out with me, but hes kinda wimpy, THO it would do wonders for him. Have to talk to the hubby and call the Y tomorrow.

Enjoy your gym and good luck.
  • pandafoo
    pandafoo Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    i used to hate going to the gym and i'd find it annoying to wait in line for a treadmill or elliptical. but now i love going to this new gym i tried after moving to chicago last year. it's the priciest i ever paid, but it's totally worth it! here are the reasons:

-fun classes incl. zumba, boot camp, and pilates reformer - the classes alone make my gym dues worthwhile
    -3 swimming pools, rock climbing wall, squash courts, etc
    -no wait at all for machines
    -great personal trainers
    -steam room that's infused with eucalyptus oil
    -free childcare for parents
    -cafe with healthy smoothies and meals
    -a hair salon (not that i'd use it but it's a nice amenity for others!)

it really depends on what your gym offers and whether you can see yourself going consistently. for me, the classes are the most important - otherwise, i'd die of boredom. also, it is really awesome to feed off the energy of everyone in the classes. i have lots of fitness dvds and i do them occasionally, but it's easy to get distracted and turn off the dvd if i don't feel like finishing. so it also depends too on whether you will be motivated to work out by yourself if you're at home. most gyms offer a free 7-day membership so definitely take advantage of it! :)
  • nursemom76
    Options
    I've been using the Wii for my exercise ... I alternate between Zumba, Biggest Loser game, Wii Fit Plus, and a few others .... keeps it interesting, no time for a gym for me!
  • nursemom76
    Options
    Me either! i used to do a gym a couple of times a week after work, but then felt guilty coming home so late and not being part of the homework process, dinner starting etc. Working out at home, dancing, wii, fitness videos allows me to be home with my kids and for them to be inspired to also keep healthy by exercising, my daughter and son often make fun of me but they then join in eventually!!
  • got_BluEgo
    got_BluEgo Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    i enjoy my gym membership ... like so many others have already stated, going to the gym is kind of like 'me' time. I can workout peacefully without the distractions from my house. I normally don't utilize the sauna, pool, group classes, etc so i think i might switch my gym membership from $39 a month to $10.80 a month (for just the fitness machines, weights).
  • Classic65Mustang
    Classic65Mustang Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have never had success working out at home. Going to the gym is the ONLY way I seem to be able to do it. When I'm at home I always find excuses. Too cold outside. Too hot outside. Kids are home from school. Neighbors might see me through the windows. :blushing: Not enough room. ETC.........
    Paying that money each month helps keep me going plus if I drove all the way there I am sure gonna make sure I do something with my time while I am there.
    Good luck with whatever decision that you make.