Nutritional Info for Home cooked meals

Options
I just started yesterday and love how I can input my daily meals and know what I either ate too much of or too little of! I'm fine with foods that have the nutritional info on them but when it comes to cooking my own food I have no idea how much fat, carbs, calories, etc are in it. Does anyone have a good way of breaking this down without it being such a pain that I stop trying to figure it out?

Replies

• alliecore
    alliecore Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    You can input your ingredients at this website:
    http://caloriecount.about.com/cc/recipe_analysis.php?process=resubmit&count=15

I've found it very useful since most of what I eat is made from scratch. :)

**Edited to add: it does take a bit of time to input the info, then transfer all the numbers to MFP; however, it gets saved under "My Foods" so the next time you make it all you have to do is click.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    In your food log, there is a section called Recipe. You can log the individual ingredients there to get the calorie counts.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    MFP has a recipe tool too. Enter all of your ingredients either by finding them in the MFP database or creating your own food. Go to Food tab, then recipes; or Food tab, then My Foods, then Create New Food. Once you enter something via My Foods it will be in the database for you to use whenever you like. I use it all the time for homemade soups, casseroles, etc.
  • GolfLady10
    GolfLady10 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I enter all my favorite homemade weight watcher meals for the calories in the recipe field. It's a great tool. Good luck to you.
  • alliecore
    alliecore Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    MFP has a recipe tool too. Enter all of your ingredients either by finding them in the MFP database or creating your own food. Go to Food tab, then recipes; or Food tab, then My Foods, then Create New Food. Once you enter something via My Foods it will be in the database for you to use whenever you like. I use it all the time for homemade soups, casseroles, etc.
    Ha! All the time I've spent on this site and I totally missed that. :laugh: Not the first time I've gone the long way around! lol
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure you can enter it in here at MFP. Just be sure to measure everything and figure out the right portion size you want to eat. I've haven't used the recipe tool yet, I usually just enter in each thing one at a time. Either way it's going to tell you the nutritional value of each thing.