ALWAYS hungry

Options
Hey guys,
I need your input on what I can do,
I'm always hungry an hour after I eat, no matter how big/small a meal it is.
I eat four small meals a day, which are spaced 2-4 hours apart.
I dedicate a lot of my calories to protein each day.
I've recently started trying to lose my weight again, but I've never eaten a lot to begin with.

Basically, is this hunger just me losing weight?
If it is, is there anyway I can feel it less?
If it's not, what's going on?

Replies

• jill_wa
    jill_wa Posts: 7
    Options
    Your hunger pains will get easier....but the best way to not feel hungry and continue on a path to weight loss, or general health, is to eat more fiber. Set your goals to 30 g of fiber or more a day. Once you eat so that you have more fiber without adding lots of calories you should feel more full.
  • melon_e
    melon_e Posts: 58
    Options
    My first two weeks on here I was miserable. I would eat a good, healthy meal (that was an appropriate serving size)...and feel like I was starving an hour later. I actually came home from work one day and was sobbing because I felt like I was just plain greedy because I was ALWAYS hungry. I stuck with it though, and over time I wasn't so hungry any more. I think I just had to adjust to eating less calories. Now I am having a hard time eating my calories each day. I am under (sometimes by a few hundred) and I don't feel hungry!! It does get easier :)
  • mrsmojo82
    mrsmojo82 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Have you tried drinking water?
  • rnroadrunner
    rnroadrunner Posts: 402 Member
    Options

agree that and fiber really helps.
  • Ilovelmo
    Ilovelmo Posts: 1
    Options
    I also agree with drinking water. I read an article online said the signal for "hungry" and "thirsty" is similar. Therefore, we might intake more food then we needed when the fact ... all we need is WATER!!!
  • wellyourenotSKINNY
    Options
    Ah, no I haven't. That will probably help a bit.

I'll definitely try the fiber thing also and sticking it out
    Thanks guys.

I also just reviewed my diaries, I seem to be eating a lot less calories in the morning, so maybe if I eat more in the morning and just go to bed a bit earlier, it will make it more bareable? Opinions?
  • rnroadrunner
    Options
    how much weight are you trying to lose per week? some people try to lose 2 or more lbs a week. that may be too drastic especially if you only need to lose less than 10-20 lbs
  • alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    It really does get easier, you're body is probably just used to having all those extra calories. If it's really horrible and you cant take it, maybe up your calorie intake for now and lower it by 50 every day until you get to where you want to be. This way your body has more time to adjust to the change.
  • wellyourenotSKINNY
    Options
    how much weight are you trying to lose per week? some people try to lose 2 or more lbs a week. that may be too drastic especially if you only need to lose less than 10-20 lbs

Just a pound a week. I honestly don't need to loss weight, its more a vanity thing.
    So I figured if I went slower, I could manage it easier.
  • rnroadrunner
    Options

Just a pound a week. I honestly don't need to loss weight, its more a vanity thing.

how about focusing on your fitness vs the scale.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/133344-body-fat-vs-scale-weight?hl=body+fat+%+vs+scale+weight#posts-1812085
    maybe this post will help
  • wellyourenotSKINNY
    Options

how about focusing on your fitness vs the scale.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/133344-body-fat-vs-scale-weight?hl=body+fat+%+vs+scale+weight#posts-1812085
    maybe this post will help

Ah, it does shine light on something new for me.
    I don't know what my body fat is (or how to calculate it) but it's got to be high, I have no tone to me whatsoever.
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    What's your weight/height? How many calories are you eating a day (roughly) ? :smile:
  • charlene77
    charlene77 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Why are you only eating 4 times a day? Six small meals is recommended. More whole grains and water will help :) Maybe theres a few snacks you love that are a healthy filling choices :) What is your calorie goal?
  • believetoachieve
    believetoachieve Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Why are you only eating 4 times a day? Six small meals is recommended.

Actually, this is a myth! You can be completely ok with three meals as long as they're balanced. It was in women's health magazine :)

Edit: source! http://www.womenshealthmag.com/weight-loss/slim-down-strategies?cat=16341
  • wellyourenotSKINNY
    Options
    What's your weight/height? How many calories are you eating a day (roughly) ? :smile:

Not exactly sure since I don't have a scale in my house (so I weigh myself after I eat). I'm around 154.6 lbs and I'm 5'9''.
    I'm around 1,200-1,500 calories/day :)
  • wellyourenotSKINNY
    Options
    Why are you only eating 4 times a day? Six small meals is recommended. More whole grains and water will help :) Maybe theres a few snacks you love that are a healthy filling choices :) What is your calorie goal?

That sounds like a great idea, but snacking has always been an issue for me, it very quickly leads to binges. So I know better than to go near a closest for a snack when I'm starving. 4 times a day is all I can manage since I'm not allowed to eat in class and I spend a lot of time there. My calorie goal is 1,450 cal/day when I'm not working out. <3
  • NoExcuseTina
    NoExcuseTina Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    VEGGIES...tons of veggies...they have lots of fiber and are very low in calorie and filling! Sometimes I eat an entire bag of cauliflower (5 cups...and I mash them with 2 tbls of butter)...very filling!!!!!!!!

HEALTHY FATS...avacados...they are very filling and the fat help you feel full longer than an hour!

The six meals a day is a personal preference...so is the three meals a day...all a personal preference and depends on if your work schedule allows you to stop to eat 3 times while you are at work (for the 5-6 meal a day option).

OK...having said that...I found eating 5 times a day (every three hours) helped me get thru the HUNGRY time at the beginning when I was cutting down my calories. I too would be hungry an hour after eating...and knowing that I would be eating in 2 hours gave me the will power to not eat till my next meal time! These "meals"...by that I mean I ate 2 things together...could have been almonds with a protein shake or crackers with cheese or an apple with peanut butter...not necessarily a plated meal. Feel free to take a look at my food diary for ideas. After 3 weeks of this, sometimes I have to look at the clock and remind myself to eat.