ulcerative colitis

Options
megankam
megankam Posts: 12 Member
does anyone here suffer from ulceritive colitis (ulcers in the large intestine and colon)?
I'd just like to know what your diet and nutrition is like especially during a flare up.
I'm going through a bad period now and I'd like to lessen the pain and other symptoms without all the medication that I usually need to take.

Replies

• wenders123
    wenders123 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Hi Megan,

I was diagnosed with UC in 1994, but then it was re-diagnosed about 8 years ago as Crohns Colitis (basically Crohns disease, but affecting my large intestine as opposed to the small bowel).

I have to say that I consider myself extremely lucky in so far that I have had few flare ups in that time, and no surgery (fingers crossed). I have been fortunate in the fact that the meds keep it under control (mescalazine and aziathioprine).

My diet is generally pretty healthy - fruit, veg, protein, etc, and it was before I started dieting. My weight problem is down to volume of food rather than quality of food. There are a couple of things that can upset my tum - fruit/veggies with 'skin' like apples, lettuce (?) so I avoid them or have in small qty's. If I do have a flare up, I tend to cut out the veggies, and just eat 'low-residue' foods (foods that are easily digested and pass through easily - you can google). I have my diary open to friends so feel free to 'friend' me and you can have a look.

There is a website community (crohnszone.org) which offers good support for IBD sufferers. I don't really use it as I don't want to 'dwell' on my illness - but I tend to drop in if have any troubles which is not very often.

Hope that helps, and feel free to message me if you need any support,

Wendy x
  • megankam
    megankam Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for sharing your info with me Wendy! I was diagnosed with UC about a year ago and I'm still going through the motions of testing and trying to figure out which foods are bad for me etc.
    oh and my friend request is on the way!:happy: