Alternative to sit-ups and crunches?

Options
My gym has a weight machine that is supposed to work your abs, but I never seem to feel a good burn when I use it so the other day I decided to try doing some traditional sit-ups. I found that I could do them, but it hurt my tailbone! I put a pillow under there to try and cushion it, but it still wasn't that great. What are some other things I could do to work my core and abs that wouldn't hurt my tailbone?

Replies

• xnattiex
    xnattiex Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    The plank and side planks are always an abs killer for me!
  • ladybug91254
    ladybug91254 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Probably dumb questions but I'm new to exercise...what is a plank and side plank?
  • princesschikee
    Options
    Lie on a flat bench and do leg ups. The hanging leg raise machine is good too. Squats are good too.
  • OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Cardio, strength trainin' - watchin' your sodium intake.

As for moves - you can google them or on youtube - search for ab moves etc.

I'm more of a visual person - than typin' out a exercisin' move...

best wishes
  • lordofultima
    Options
    get into a push-up position, try and hold it for 60 seconds. That's a plank.
  • melleyd
    melleyd Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    oblique twists! cardio and abs together!
  • bordersvm
    bordersvm Posts: 70
    Options
    :happy: Try the excercise ball crunch, try the plank on elbows and toes, and try these standing exercises from

http://www.ehow.com/how_2191109_do-standing-abs-workout.html

Best of luck!!
  • Dalyla13
    Dalyla13 Posts: 1
    Options
    Planks are basically holding a push up position. Make sure you keep you abs tight and your booty down. You can do them on your hands, like a starting pushup position, or drop down to your elbows and hold it that way. You just hold the position, focusing on keeping your whole core (from your abs to your glutes) tight.

you could also try reverse crunches. lie on you back with your feet up in the air, knees as straight as you can. You want to push your feet up to the ceiling, like your pushing it away with your feet. Make sure you get your hips up off the ground.
  • mommabear2002
    Options
    When you do your crunch tilt up/slighly lift your hips (hips dont come off ground, its more of a tilt), it works more muscles and it helps with the pain caused by the pressure.
  • LFern
    LFern Posts: 141
    Options
    I have a very tender back so I just do toe touches. I also sit on a chair, suck in and do leg lifts.

It doesn't seem like a lot but I feel it the next day :wink:
  • JenWorthen3
    JenWorthen3 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I LOVE this ab video. It kills me every time I do it. It's called the 10 Minute Solution Blast Belly. You can pick and choose between 5 different 10 minute workouts. I split them up throughout the day, or just do a couple. That way I have more time to do it. Trust me, you'll feel them the next day!

http://www.amazon.com/10-Minute-Solution-Blast-Belly/dp/B000KJTFDE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1299073466&sr=8-1
  • princesschikee
    Options
    How many sets and reps are you doing? And how much weight did you use? Sometimes changing those things will help.
  • redwngs13
    redwngs13 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! I'd like to try the plank. I also just thought that maybe an exercise ball would help with the tailbone issue.
  • redwngs13
    redwngs13 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    How many sets and reps are you doing? And how much weight did you use? Sometimes changing those things will help.

I had it set at 40 lbs and I do around 3 sets of 12 reps. Last time I did it I seemed to feel more in my back than the abs. Maybe I'm not using the machine correctly, but it seems pretty straight-forward.
  • fasttrack27
    fasttrack27 Posts: 324
    Options
    I can see how sit-ups would affect the tailbone, but crunches shouldn't. Focus on keeping your lower back flat (keep your pelvis tilted forward/up which should rotate your lower back to the floor) and engage your abs hard. Hands light behind head - dont cross/lock your fingers. Keep your eyes to the ceiling the whole crunch, not towards you knees as you rise.

As others said, planks suck to do but are really good for you. Try them with your forearms on a stability ball for a real challenge! Another one to try is 'alternating leg lowers'. Flat on back, legs straight up in air. then slowly lower one straight-leg almost to the ground, raise back up, then do other leg. Thats one set. Start w/ trying 10 sets. Again focus on keeping your lower back flat to floor
  • princesschikee
    Options

I had it set at 40 lbs and I do around 3 sets of 12 reps. Last time I did it I seemed to feel more in my back than the abs. Maybe I'm not using the machine correctly, but it seems pretty straight-forward.
    You need to add more weight if you aren't getting a burn. If it's one of those that you are sitting up in pushing with your chest, make sure you aren't using your hands to help push. We have one where you lie down and you can add free weights to it, that is a killer.
  • cathyv0409
    cathyv0409 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Redwngs - I also can't do sit-ups or crunches because of my tailbone (I may be doing them wrong) but with the exercise ball it takes the pressure off. Good luck!
  • benitocereno
    benitocereno Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Lol, I need to use a pillow too when I do situps. Maybe try getting one a bit more firm?

Besides that, I'd do planks as suggested.
  • fasttrack27
    fasttrack27 Posts: 324
    Options
    you could also try reverse crunches. lie on you back with your feet up in the air, knees as straight as you can. You want to push your feet up to the ceiling, like your pushing it away with your feet. Make sure you get your hips up off the ground.
    [/quote]

A.K.A "Heels to Heaven". Good suggestion, I forgot about that one!
  • modernfemme
    modernfemme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Maybe try something like this:

http://fitfinity.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/ball-crunches-400x400.jpg

I do something called yoga situps (with a yoga mat) from Ana Brett & Ravi's dvds.