What do you think, is it better to

Options
Is it better to excercise in the a.m. or p.m. or does it REALLY matter when?

Replies

• marber
    marber Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    It's up to you.

I do both during the week and find pm easier.
  • dracobaby82
    dracobaby82 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    doesn't really matter... I usually switch it up lol when my hubby is working nights, I exercise in the nights, and when he's on days I do it during the day... but lately I do both when I can
  • amuhlou
    amuhlou Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I am SO not a morning person, so PM is for me.

I did hear that if you exercise at night you don't want to do it super late because it can affect your sleep, but other than that do what works for you.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I don't think it matters all that much. Do it when you can fit it into your schedule and when you have enough energy to REALLY hit it!

For example, if you're one of those folks who isn't fully awake until you've been up for a few hours, then early morning workouts wouldn't be very effective for you and you'd absolutely resent them after a few weeks, meaning you'd end up skipping workouts sooner or later. In that case, you'd do better working out at your lunch break or in the afternoon/evening.

I think it's more important to choose your workout time based on your energy level and ability to really work hard, rather than phoning it in. Whatever marginal benefit could be effected by exercising at a certain time of day is less important than finding a way to consistently fit focused workouts into your schedule.
  • sclawson55
    Options
    Personally, I like morning - I have more energy and can put more into it and seem to get more out of it.
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Doesn't really matter. Your metabolism will burn a little hotter if you exercise in the morning, but if you're not a morning person & you only give half your effort and then are sleepy the rest of the day-then that's kind of a waste.
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    My "fitness challenge" for this week is to do both. 40-50 minutes in the morning; 40-50 minutes in the afternoon...I have noticed in the morning that it takes me a few moments to get it together...
  • MamaReebs
    MamaReebs Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I like morning for a couple reasons. FIrst, it's the only time I can consistently workout since I have 2 small children and a job. Second, I can get it over with and not have to think about it again for the rest of the day. Third, once I am done I get a little boost of energy from working out that helps carry me through the day. My only issue with working out in the morning is that I don't get to sit around and wake up for like an hour before I can workout. I have to just get up and do it right away or I would run out of time.
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Find out what is best for you. Some people does it at 4am and some at 8pm and all in between. Main thing is to do it. Good luck.
  • JoJo1953
    JoJo1953 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Definitely morning for me. After I work all day that is one thing I don't want to think about having to do. Plus I'm a morning person, so that helps!!!!:smile:
  • jerseyshorenurse
    jerseyshorenurse Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    "Just Do It" comes to mind. But I do have more thoughts on timing than just that....first, workout whatever time of day you know you'll have the most energy to put into it. I am not a morning person, so I have a lot more gusto working out mid to late afternoon and my workouts are more productive. I also know that exercise kills my appetite for a few hours, then I later rebound and become ravenously hungry and find it hard to avoid stuffing my face all day, so working out later benefits me more when I'm trying to lose weight because I will eat a small meal after the gym then be sleeping by the time I feel like gorging. But then, I switched to working night shifts and threw myself right off my game. I don't know if I'm coming or going most of the time. So for me it comes back to...just do it.
  • BrianJLamb
    BrianJLamb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Morning...morning workouts do so much for you. They flip a switch and set you up for a successful day. They prevent daily obstacles from shutting it down. At some point, they also become something that you kindof look forward to...almost like 'you time.' Also, they get your metabo running...try it out.
  • Aspynmom
    Aspynmom Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I would LOVE to workout in the morning...it starts my day off right! However I just can't seem to make myself wake up an hour earlier no matter how hard I try (I swear, my covers grow arms to hold me down!), so it's PM for me! :)
  • BrianJLamb
    Options
    I would LOVE to workout in the morning...it starts my day off right! However I just can't seem to make myself wake up an hour earlier no matter how hard I try (I swear, my covers grow arms to hold me down!), so it's PM for me! :)

LoL...what she says is true. Covers will do that. Also, even when your blankets relinquish their holds, the cold and dark will often try to push you back into bed. I bought the sunrise simulator timer to put on a lamp in my room. It starts a slow light like 30 minutes before my alarm goes off to get my eyeballs used to the idea of being awake. I also recommend keeping your alarm AWAY from your bed, so it is not within reach and the annoyance will allow you to overpower the will of your blanket. Finally, keep water by your bed. Drink as soon as you wake up. It gets you moving.
  • MamaReebs
    MamaReebs Posts: 240 Member
    Options

LoL...what she says is true. Covers will do that. Also, even when your blankets relinquish their holds, the cold and dark will often try to push you back into bed. I bought the sunrise simulator timer to put on a lamp in my room. It starts a slow light like 30 minutes before my alarm goes off to get my eyeballs used to the idea of being awake. I also recommend keeping your alarm AWAY from your bed, so it is not within reach and the annoyance will allow you to overpower the will of your blanket. Finally, keep water by your bed. Drink as soon as you wake up. It gets you moving.

Where did you get a sunrise simulator? That sounds like what I need.
  • BrianJLamb
    Options
    I got something like this:
    http://www.fullspectrumsolutions.com/sunrizr_dawn_simulator_353_prd1.htm

except mine was cheaper. I dont remember where I got it from and it only has a spot for one plug on it. Basically you plug it into your wall, plug a lamp into it, and make sure the bulb is allowed to be used with a dimmer.

The box autodims the light up, gradually increasing the light in the room. So it feels like sunrise. It is a big help for me because I am really up with the sun. During the summer I am up at 5:30 or 6 with no alarm. I start getting groggy and depressed in the middle of winter when I have to wake up and it looks like midnight outside.
  • catysthename
    catysthename Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I like it in the pm because if you work out really hard and then eat a healthy snack like fruit and go to bed, its the best sleep you can get!!
  • dschevy348
    Options
    The only real differences are energy and motivation, both of which make little difference.

You'll have higher energy levels in the morning, but you've also haven't eaten in 6+ hours, so it can make you tire faster depending on what you ate the night before. As others have said, if you're not a morning person, it just won't happen :P

Alternatively, evening workouts are after a full day's work, so your energy levels are lower, but motivation is (typically) higher, since its a psychological perk from the stress relief and enjoyment of the workout. Since you probably havent eaten since lunch, you're a bit lower since you burned part of lunch trying to finish the day's grind.

Both of these have been proven effective...and contradictory. It basically comes down to whichever works for you.

Chevy