Anyone have a low cal veggie soup?

Options
mrsbuzz
mrsbuzz Posts: 576 Member
Need something to eat on for a couple of days....I get bored with lunches. So I am looking for a veggie soup recipe without all the sodium as can soups.

thanks

Replies

• Dormouse85
    Options
    Peel whatever vegetables you fancy - onion, parsnip, courgette (don't peel), carrots, aubergine, peppers (don't peel), turnips, celery, squash etc etc
    Chop into 1" dice.
    Put in pan. Add tin of chopped tomatoes, dried herbs, hot pepper sauce if you like heat.
    Add about 1 litre of vegetable stock. Maybe a bit more.
    Boil, then simmer for 20 minutes or so until the veggies are tender.
    Blend with a handblender.
    If it's very thick add more vegetable stock.

Seems easy enough to me...
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    I usually just put bunches of vegetables--any kind really. I am lazy so I usually use cans. You can get the cans of veggies with no salt added. Or you can put fresh or frozen veggies. Low sodium chicken or beef broth with canned crushed or diced tomatoes. Add Mrs. Dash or whatever spices you like. Salt to taste or leave salt free. Simmer on the stove a while or put it in the crock pot. I like potatoes in mine, so I put them first in the broth until they are soft and then add everything else. I also often put cabbage--you have to put that first to cook until soft. It is easy, cheap and low cal. Give it a try. Put what you like and make it your own personal recipe. You can't mess up veggie soup--usually. Bon appetit!
  • jdunagan
    jdunagan Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I make a veggie soup (sometimes stew) pretty regularly, and can tell you that the prior posts all sound good. My personal recipe is as follows;

Dice carrot, sweet potato, zucchini and/or yellow squash to approx 1". Place the above veggies on a baking sheet, drizzle with 1 or 2 tbsps. extra virgin olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Place in the oven at 400 degrees for approx 40 minutes. Roasting these veggies adds good texture to the final product and also adds a sweetness from the caramelization.

Meanwhile, in a stock pot over medium high heat add 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, and saute diced onion and celery until tender. Add 1 28 oz. can of stewed whole tomatoes, and 1 or 2 tbsps. of whichever seasoning you prefer ( I prefer an italian seasoning blend of basil and oregano ).

When the roasted vegetables are done, add them to the pot, and then cover the contents with either a low sodium or even a homemade vegetable stock (FYI making your own stock is actually VERY easy, just a little time consuming). You could of course use water instead, but you will lose flavor.

Reduce the heat, and simmer to the desired thickness. Taste, and adjust your seasonings as needed.

You can also add variety by adding brown rice, bok choy or cabbage, or black beans once you reduce the heat, as well as additional veggies like either corn or green beans, if you like.

This recipe will work with pretty much any vegetable, but I would recommend roasting only heartier vegetables like the root variety so that they maintain a good texture. The good things are that this soup will keep well in the fridge, is hard to screw up, and has alot of room for variety.
  • MOMvsFOOD
    MOMvsFOOD Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I have TONS!

Check out my blog http://momvsfood.blogspot.com and search soup or click the soup label on the right column!

Im a huge soup girl!
  • shander7
    shander7 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    bump! I need to start making my own soups too, way too much sodium in the ones at work! I saw a weight watchers one today too, a 0 pt cabbage soup http://www.food.com/recipe/ww-0-point-weight-watchers-cabbage-soup-128956, I haven't tried it yet, but I hopefully will soon! :smile:
  • crackerjack345
    crackerjack345 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    bump! I need to start making my own soups too, way too much sodium in the ones at work! I saw a weight watchers one today too, a 0 pt cabbage soup http://www.food.com/recipe/ww-0-point-weight-watchers-cabbage-soup-128956, I haven't tried it yet, but I hopefully will soon! :smile:

I used to make the 0pt soup all the time when I was doing WW and it is fabulous! That's the one I would recommend.
  • freerange
    freerange Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    Veggie soup is easy, just throw whatever you like in a pot cover with chicken stock and simmer until done. A real light and quick one would be onions, carrots, celery and a little cabbage. That is basiclly my base for soup, you can add kale, turnips, potatoes, parsnips, green beans, corn, tomatoes, you can even add sausage or stew meat if you want it a little more filling.
  • Martha_VH
    Martha_VH Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I know that even the veggie and chicken broth I get from the store has a lot of sodium. Check around, see if any of your friends can tomato juice without a lot of salt. I made soup the other night, and It made 4 servings.
    My broth was 1 cup water, 1 cup chicken broth and 1.5 cups of my mom's tomato juice. Much less sodium if you don't add straight broth. Very good too, my husband even liked it.
  • cabeaudoin
    Options
    Beef - Shank crosscuts, lean and fat, 1/4" fat, choice, cooked, simmered, 1 piece, cooked, excluding refuse (yield from 1 lb raw meat
    Better Than Bullion - Vegetable Base, 2 tsp
    Del Monte - Diced Tomatoes, 1 container (1 4/5 cups ea.)
    Great Value - Frozen Mixed Vegetables, 2 Cups. (85 grams) (peas, beans, corn, lima beans)
    Generic - Summer Squash (Fresh), 3 medium cut and diced
    Squash - Zucchini, includes skin, 3 medium cut and diced
    Generic - Potato, Raw, Peeled, Diced, 2 raw
    Broccoli - Raw, 3 cup, chopped
    Cauliflower - Raw, 3 cup choopped
    1tsp pepper

Cook shank until soft, removed from broth
    Add remaining ingredients and simmer until veggies are soft
    Meanwhile removed meat from bone, discard excess fat and dice meat into small pieces, return to pot
    Makes 14 1 C. servings MFP calculator says 98 calories a cup.

Very healthy and notice no salt. I have a blood pressure problem so I use as little sodium products as possible.
    I told my family to salt it in their bowls and they said there was enough sodium in the canned tomatoes and vegetable base boullion to keep them happy.

Hope you like it.