Pregnancy Calories

Options
I started on MFP on 10th January 2011 and have managed to lose 19lbs so far. However I just discovered I am now pregnant. I am over moon about this but not sure how many calories I should now be eating. I weigh 198lbs now and eat 1490 calories at the moment. I asked the doctor what I should be eating and he said 2000 - 2500 which I think is alot. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• RoniDoll
    RoniDoll Posts: 262
    Options
    I would listen to a doctor. If you feel that its to many than try visiting another doctor or even a dietitian.
  • kjensen15
    kjensen15 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I would go with your doctor he will know best on this!! If you are currently doing excercise it would be beneficial to continuing doing some, even if it's just walking. BUT check with your doctor on this first as well!

CONGRATULATIONS as well!!!
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    The average woman needs about 2,000 calories a day to maintain her weight...the average pregnant woman burns 2,500-3,000 calories a day! So that sounds about right.
  • jamie78
    jamie78 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    thats probably about right.. I would just try and eat healthy and take care of yourself you want to make sure you eat enough for you and the baby. You will burn more calories just being pregnant, So I would follow the doctors advise, they should know what they are talking about :) Try taking walks and doing safe and moderate exercise and you should be fine. Congrats and best of luck!
  • ladyhawk00
    ladyhawk00 Posts: 2,457 Member
    Options
    It's probably not "as much" as it seems to you. Remember you've been eating at a deficit. Now you'll need to be eating slightly MORE than you would need to maintain. So if you're at a 2 lb per week loss goal, your maintenance cals would be 2490ish (adding back in the 1000 cal deficit), or 1990ish for 1 lb per week loss. So your doc is just recommending that you now maintain/gain a little. Which is exactly what you should do. You should not be trying to lose while pregnant, obviously.

Congrats and best wishes on the pregnancy!
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Yea from what I've read, during your first trimester you should be aiming to gain about .5lb per week, and then .5-1lb/wk in the subsequent trimesters. If you are already overweight though, many times doctors make specific caloric recommendations- so I would listen to your doctor. If you doubt you can always ask a second opinion (from another dr, not just MFP :wink: ).
  • Claire1313
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your adviced and well wishes, feel better now, im going follow the doctors advice and then check his right when I go for my scan on the 16th.
  • amehrkens
    amehrkens Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I also say listen to your doctor. When eating all those calories make sure it is healthy choices and don't fall into the "I am eatinig for 2" state of mind. Youo are eating for 2 but not 2 adults. I was very overweight when I was pregnant with 3 of my 4 babies, I managed to eat healthy and continue to work out thru the entire pregnancy and I only gained 8lb with 2 of my kids, 16 with 1, and 26 with the other. The on I gained 26 with was after I had lost 70lbs, I was devestated but the weight came off again once the baby was born and I got back on track!