shrimp and asparagus .... what to make?

Options
i have some lovely shrimp and some even more lovely asparagus. i'm thinking a pasta dish. any yummy ideas? bonus points for low in fat and it HAS to be dairy free.

Replies

• cindaroses
    cindaroses Posts: 117
    Options
    Yummy, I usually stir fry them together with a little bit of oil (less than a tablesoon) and some lemon juice, pepper, garlic and sea salt. Blanch the asparagus first, them add it to the skillet with the garlic already in the hot oil. Add the shrimp in lastly so they don't get too tough.
  • TheNewJessieMae
    Options
    That sounds awesome, but I would cook them separately only because I love the taste of asparagus so much!!!!
  • lucysmommy
    lucysmommy Posts: 460
    Options
    ooh that sounds lovely

xx
  • louiseei
    louiseei Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I'd go for a risotto myself, yummy.
    Just throw the asparagus in when there's about 10 mins of cooking time left so it isn't overdone and the shrimps just long enough to cook/warm through. How I wish my OH wasn't vegetarian - I love seafood.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    if they are all fresh.. a little salt pepper and olive oil on both the shrimp and asparagus. spark up the grill. cook them hot and fast.

Make some brown rice pour a glass of white wine and you have a great meal.

Good fresh food needs very little help... now if your shrimp is a little less then fresh you can use marinades
  • sae1316
    sae1316 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried grilled asparaus? It is my favorite way to prepare it...a little olive oil and sea salt and it is delicious!
  • sw33tp3a11
    sw33tp3a11 Posts: 4,646 Member
    Options
    I found a recipe here for one serving is 274 calories

http://lowfatcooking.about.com/od/fishandseafood/r/shrimpasta.htm

asparagus

* 2 bunches asparagus, washed
    * 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
    * Coarse grained salt and cracked black pepper
    mix ingredients together and bake for 15-25 min at 400*

Nutrition Facts

Nutritional Analysis
    per serving

Calories

Fat
    5 g

Saturated Fat
    0.8 g

Carbohydrates
    7 g

Fiber
    3.2 g

Protein
    3.4 g

I hope u like it :)
  • GingerKid
    GingerKid Posts: 86
    Options
    I make a shrimp scampi from WW that I love. No dairy.

Ingredients
    2 tsp olive oil
    6 clove(s) (medium) garlic clove(s), minced
    1 tsp dried oregano
    1 pound(s) shrimp, medium, peeled and deveined
    1/4 cup(s) wine, dry white or vermouth
    2 tsp cornstarch
    3/4 cup(s) reduced-sodium chicken broth
    3/4 tsp table salt, or to taste
    1/8 tsp black pepper, or to taste
    8 oz uncooked linguini, cooked and kept hot
    1/4 cup(s) parsley, fresh, chopped
    2 Tbsp basil, fresh, thinly sliced
    Instructions Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat; add garlic and sauté 1 minute. Add oregano and stir to coat. Add shrimp and sauté until bright pink, stirring frequently, about 3 minutes. Add wine and simmer about 1 minute.

Dissolve cornstarch in chicken broth in a small cup and whisk until blended; add mixture to skillet and simmer 2 minutes, until sauce thickens. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Transfer cooked linguini to four individual shallow bowls and spoon shrimp and sauce over top; sprinkle with parsley and basil. Yields about 1 1/3 cups of pasta, 1/4 cup of sauce and 3 ounces of shrimp per serving.

****Just a note, I typically don't have fresh basil or parsely, and I find it doesn't matter to me to even add those ingredients. My kids like this recipe a LOT!

***ETA: I cut up asparagus in one inch pieces and toss them in along with shrimp.
  • Vanishing_Gordies
    Options
    I love drizzling asparagus with olive oil, sprinkle of sea salt and popping them in the oven. Super yummy. I roast all my veggies now.
  • SpartanHard
    SpartanHard Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    That sounds awesome, but I would cook them separately only because I love the taste of asparagus so much!!!!

Yum. Me too
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    FYI a good trick to get kids to eat asparagus... tell them it will make their pee smell funny. I had to cook a second bundle!
  • laurakrowe
    Options
    our daughters (ages 5.5yrs and 3yrs) LOVE asparagus. i've gotten into the habit of making 2 bunches as of late b/c they keep asking for more!!!
    thanks for all the suggestions! sometimes i fall into such a rut and want to change it up. i usually do a stir fry with the shrimp but wanted something different to do instead.
  • SFbarmaid
    SFbarmaid Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Soy-Ginger Shrimp w/ Edamame (sub edamame with asparagus)

Veg oil
    1 bag frozen shelled edamame
    grated ginger to taste
    minced garlic to taste
    8 oz Shelled deveined shrimp
    1 shallot minced

Sauce

1/2 c. Chicken Broth
    1 tbsp Soy Sauce
    1.5 tsp Cornstarch
    1/2 tsp Chili flakes
    1tbsp White wine vinegar

Mix sauce ingredients in bowl, set aside.

Sautee edamame till hot, set aside.

add oil, ginger, garlic and shallots. sweat (cook till soft and fragrant) . Add shrimp, sautee till cooked. Add edamame, and reduce sauce.(cook till it thickens a bit)