Jillian Micahel's Kettlebell Workout.....

Options
Hi!

I’m trying to increase the intensity of my workouts so I started using the Jillian Michael's Kettlebell workout for the first time yesterday morning and I am hoping there are others out there who are using it. I am so sore today in my thighs, core and arms. Hoping this means it is working. I do have a question though.... has anyone else developed bruises on their forearms from this? And if so, how do I stop it? I love the workout it provides just not the bruising. Also, what do you record it as for exercise? I don’t have a Heart Rate Monitor yet so that is not an option.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thank you.

Replies

• xxx_Pink_Princess_xxx
    xxx_Pink_Princess_xxx Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Im sorry I cant help you! I would like to know the answers to these questions though :) xxx
  • cdngrl81
    cdngrl81 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I just did this yesterday and my thighs are so sore! I don't have any problems with bruises, but I don't have a kettlebell (I am using a dumbbell). I record it as circuit training, general.
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    Bruises on your forearms-weird. Are you hitting them, because that is weird.
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    Bruises on your forearms-weird. Are you hitting them, because that is weird.
  • skitchlu
    skitchlu Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Kerry - what weight of kettlebell are you using?
  • Topxgun
    Topxgun Posts: 38
    Options
    Of course you're sore. Most people get sore after their first time lifting. Which is what you're doing. You're weight lifting. Congrats. Eat some more protein.
  • jconnon
    jconnon Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I do a kettlebell workout dvd as well but I am a newbie with them still. That being said if your bruising your forearms your probably need to work on your technique. I had that same issue but after practicing the instructional portion of the dvd I realized I was doing it wrong and made the adjustments. I do not have the bruising issues anymore. They do make a wrist/forearm guard that you can buy as well but I think if your doing it right you shouldn't need it. I would love to know how to measure the calories burned for this type of workout as well.
  • time2move
    time2move Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Is the kettlebell hitting your arms? From my research, Jillian's technique for kettlebells is poor. You can find other videos on YouTube, do a search on here, etc. Kettlebell workouts typically burn 6-10 cals/minute. I did a custom entry on here and set it at 6 cal/min.
  • Kerry1023
    Kerry1023 Posts: 152
    Options
    Kerry - what weight of kettlebell are you using?

I am using the 20lb adjustable weight with 2 plates in. my understanding is each plate is 3lbs and the handle is 5lbs so...11lbs in total. A friend recommended I start out w/ 10lbs. If you have any suggestions I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
  • Kerry1023
    Kerry1023 Posts: 152
    Options
    WOW ~Great! Thank you all for the feedback.
    Is the kettlebell hitting your arms? From my research, Jillian's technique for kettlebells is poor. You can find other videos on YouTube, do a search on here, etc. Kettlebell workouts typically burn 6-10 cals/minute. I did a custom entry on here and set it at 6 cal/min.

Yes it is hitting my forearm. I will definitely look at the technique and check out You Tube. I followed her form but must not be doing it correctly. Thanks again,
  • Lula16
    Lula16 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I do the JM kettlebell along with 30DS so i can get at least a full 40 mts workout. i log it in as circuit training. I love the kettebell workout. The first time i did it i was sore for 3 days. couldnt even get of the car! i throw it in about 2 or 3X wk and i always feel the burn. Its defenitely one of my favorites. Although i admit, i still havent made it to level 2.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    First of all, if you can't control the kettlebell so that you aren't causing bruising it is too heavy for you and you aren't using the proper form. Jillian's form sucks, so definitely go check youtube for some RKC (Russian Kettlebell Certified) instructors to learn the proper form. (Jillian isn't RKC or any other kettlebell certified.) I also highly recommend Josh Henkin's videos for programs to do that include kettlebells and sandbags. He mostly focuses on sandbags but the Fighting Fitness system uses kettlebells too and is awesome, though not a traditional workout video. His stuff is geared more toward instructors so he demonstrates the movements but you do the workouts on your own. I actually met him at a fitness conference in January and learned a lot from him in that one day. I hope to complete his LIFT certification program if he is ever in Georgia.

As for calories burned, you can get an estimate with METs. Basically, a MET is the metabolic equivalent, or how many times your normal resting calorie burn you are burning from an exercise or activity. The lab estimates I've read for kettlebells show an average MET level of 6.4. So, to determine your calorie burn from kettlebells, you can estimate it by multiplying your weight in kilograms by the MET level in order to get an estimate of calories per hour.