Pedometer-HRMs

Options
I recently bought a watch-heart rate monitor-pedometer-calorie counter-kitchen sink gadget, in the interest of accurately gauging my walking mostly, and I was wondering if anyone knew how they worked, specifically the calorie counter part. I figured it was probably one of two ways - either it estimates calories burned by the number of steps and speed it's recorded (possible, since the 'calories burned' display is a sub-mode of the pedometer function), or it gauges calories based on the heart rate it tracks.

If it's the first way, it means it's pretty inaccurate unless I just use it while I'm walking... if it's the second way, it means I have to actually believe my 45 minutes of DDR style dancing is only 85ish calories worth of exercise ^^;

Does anyone have any insight?

Replies

• sneakers71
    sneakers71 Posts: 106
    Options
    I am wondering the same thing - wore mine last night while doing the zumba dvd and it said I only burned 100 calories???
  • santoshrane
    Options
    Most of these devices have a option where you have to put your weight and height.

Check if you have entered that correctly.
  • spcopps
    spcopps Posts: 283
    Options
    I have the new balance HRM and it seems pretty accurate to what the sites say I should be burning during workouts. I do turbo jams and it says I burn between 480-500 for 45 minutes of workout. Mine doesn't have the pedometer so I would have to assume it goes by heart rate which was based on my data input for weight, height, age and gender. JMO.
  • fitaliciag
    fitaliciag Posts: 373
    Options
    Most of these devices have a option where you have to put your weight and height.

Check if you have entered that correctly.

He's right, and if that's not an option, then what you have is a piece of crap. mine has me enter my weight and age. then it calculates by heart rate to get calories burned. if you aren't working hard, and makin gyour heart rate go up, then you wouldn't be burning many calories.
  • alexmommy
    alexmommy Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I just have a HRM watch, and I have to periodically scan my heart rate by pushing the button on it. The directions on mine said the more you check your heart rate, the more accurate it is. I check mine about every 4 minutes! :)
  • Splendidissimus
    Options
    Thank everybody. Mine doesn't have a place to enter age, height, or weight, so I'm guessing I have a piece of crap :) One that almost certainly estimates by steps. That actually makes me feel better, and I can still use it as a pedometer if I'm just walking.