Swelling hands/fingers during exercise...

Options
this has been noticeable over the last few years, but I have never really done anything about it. I know I should ask my doctor why this happens, but going there is such a chore!!!

Has anyone else experienced this? I also get tingly feelings and numbness in my hands and fingers when exercising. I'm thinking that it has to do with poor circulation and maybe too much salt in my diet???

Any takers!? :tongue:

Replies

• kittychick1978
    Options
    Bad circulation sure sounds like a possible answer but, of course, you already answered your own question about what to do about it. :) I don't get the tingly feeling but my hands do swell and I always figured it was because I was overheated...? Good luck!
  • getinshapesarah
    Options
    it is possibly dehydration.. salt can be a factor too.
    i am not a doctor, but i am a trainer and have experienced this in the past.
    be sure to drink lots of water, before during and after your work outs,
    also if you run keep your hands loose and under your heart, so you are not having your blood fight gravity and pump up and around your heart thru your hands
    this is somethingi used to get so frustrated with, my fingers would get so swollen and hot when i walked but keeping hydrated helps a ton!
    good luck
  • mikeyml
    mikeyml Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    My fingers swell a bit after exercise too but I've never really thought much of it. I noticed when I went for a shower after a workout and couldn't take my wedding band off.
  • JennDoesKeto
    JennDoesKeto Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    its the circulation when you walk..if you notice your feet will swell as well. when i walk on the beach with my mom we look a bit strange cause after a bit we will walk with our hands in the air waving and flexing them..oh well it helps.
  • MizzDoc
    MizzDoc Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I would experience this as well, but only when I walked/power walked. I would raise my hands about my head for about a min or keep them "elevated" (as opposed to low by the hips). That seemed to help quite a bit.
  • mistigoodwin
    mistigoodwin Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    WOW!!! I was just talkin to my sister about this last week. I thought I was just weird, because my fingers and hands swell a lot, every time I run/walk or any kind of workout. I always thought circulation had something do to with it, but I will drink more water before during and after workouts now......Thanks!
  • suzhawken
    suzhawken Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    it is possibly dehydration.. salt can be a factor too.
    i am not a doctor, but i am a trainer and have experienced this in the past.
    be sure to drink lots of water, before during and after your work outs,
    also if you run keep your hands loose and under your heart, so you are not having your blood fight gravity and pump up and around your heart thru your hands
    this is somethingi used to get so frustrated with, my fingers would get so swollen and hot when i walked but keeping hydrated helps a ton!
    good luck

Yep, that sure does sound like what it would be!!!!

I HATE drinking water and know that I am probably dehydrated 90% of the time. I literally have to force myself to drink a single glass. It wouldn't be unusual for me to go days without physically picking up a glass and taking a sip. Now that I am exercising, I am drinking more - I have no choice since I am actually thirsty!!! For me that is a rare feeling. Maybe this should be a separate post about how people who Hate drinking water or anything but coffee get the 64+/- oz in a day!?
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Salt can cause you to retain fluids, which causes swelling. Also, if you are walking and swing your hand during exercise, your fingers can swell. I am guessing that you are going to reduce your salt intake? You can also keep your hands above the level of your heart when you exercise, and also alternate opening them and squeezing them into fists to pump extra fluids out of your hands.
    I have rheumatoid arthritis, so when I walk---the best exercise for me, I make sure the hands are held up toward my shoulders, and higher, and fists are pumping and moving. That works for me.

BUT, primarily, you might want to get a doctor to check your physical status to make sure you do not have any other problems. Take care, enjoy the healthy foods, the new body movements, and the smaller clothing sizes as the months pass. :drinker: (lots of water)
  • ssawchenko
    Options
    I HATE drinking water and know that I am probably dehydrated 90% of the time. I literally have to force myself to drink a single glass. It wouldn't be unusual for me to go days without physically picking up a glass and taking a sip. Now that I am exercising, I am drinking more - I have no choice since I am actually thirsty!!! For me that is a rare feeling. Maybe this should be a separate post about how people who Hate drinking water or anything but coffee get the 64+/- oz in a day!?

Have you tried putting anything in the water to make it taste different/better? Crystal light, or even something as simple as lemon, lime (or cucumber and ginger if you dare!)? Water is so important to our bodies, and I find drinking water during the day can even help curb my tendencies to snack unnecessarily.

I also experience swelling in my hands when I run long distances... and I often do run with my hands over my head for awhile to help ease the pressure ;)
  • suzhawken
    suzhawken Posts: 32 Member
    Options

Have you tried putting anything in the water to make it taste different/better? Crystal light, or even something as simple as lemon, lime (or cucumber and ginger if you dare!)? Water is so important to our bodies, and I find drinking water during the day can even help curb my tendencies to snack unnecessarily.

I really have tried that and it doesn't matter what I am drinking, I just don't care to do it I guess! I would be the worst alcoholic, since it takes me an hour to drink one drink!!!

I also experience swelling in my hands when I run long distances... and I often do run with my hands over my head for awhile to help ease the pressure ;)